Shakatak - "Down On The Street" (7'' version) - background chorus?

Thread: Shakatak - "Down On The Street" (7'' version) - background chorus?

Tags: None
  1. pianoman74 said:

Default Shakatak - "Down On The Street" (7'' version) - background chorus?

Hey there,

everyone of you will agree that every child knows this 1984 classic, and likewise to the fact that you can google the lyrics; however, in fact only 95% of the lyrics, but not the whole caboodle!
    To get these missing 5%, that's what this post is for.

UNLIKE (!) the 12'' version, the 7'' single version features a SECOND chorus sung simultaneously to the "Down on the street" main chorus. Hah, you didn't ever notice that did you?
    Neither did I, due to AC radio stations playing already hypercompressed remastered versions, whilst using additional compression themselves in their processed audio to "brand" their radio station (Optimod). This'll drown finesses such as said one within their loudness-enhanced audio mush. But hey, my pre-1990 MINT CD (import version) still did have its FULL dynamic range preserved! So I was totally stunned when I suddenly heard something underneath! Almost like the exciting discovery of a "secret door" in your home

This youtube upload (recorded from an 80's TOTP radio show) comes VERY close to my original:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIBHgoNgA7Q

Tune in to about 0'50'' and LISTEN!

I would love it if somebody could make out what the background singers sing there.
    "Shoutin', talkin', rappin' ..." ??
    Last edited by pianoman74; 03-12-2011 at 12:26 PM.

2. loverslane said:

i didn't pay attention at first, but yeah, its "there." the problem is that the background singers are much too weak, the main singer & the music are much louder. it will be very difficult to listen to the background singers. but, if anyone out there still have the original inner sleeve of the 7" LP, maybe the lyrics are there. i still have my doubt on this because LP singles are very much cost cutting, they wont print the lyrics on the singles. maybe one day shakatak personnel will read about this and give you the answer.

BUT, maybe it sounds like this:

"shoutin' talkin' laughin' down on THE STREET"
    "snappin' fingers dancin' down on THE STREET"
    "shoutin' talkin' laughin' down on THE STREET"

they just keep repeating the lyrics. feel free to correct me on this.

the song in which youtube link you provided is contaminated with radio frequency interference. this one is much more better, which is why i use it as reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kpyhzj5_BA

its truly a nice song.
    Last edited by loverslane; 06-27-2012 at 06:05 AM. Reason: additional info, correction
    no signature needed.

3. pianoman74 said:

Yup, and it always makes you want to take out the VINYL and listen to the real thing, non-overcompressed!

In any case, thanks not only for stopping by but also for your confirmation. as well as, last but not least, for your good lines I think you've hit the mark pretty well with them.