The “Optimum Angle” Song

Thread: The “Optimum Angle” Song

Tags: None

Katie13 said:

Default The “Optimum Angle” Song

Me and my friend got really bored in Physics the other day so we wrote this!! The "Optimum Angle of A Projectile as Proved by Further Mathmatics A-Level Calculus" Song!!
    I don't expect anyone to understand it... but it made me laugh!!!
    For some strange reason, it's to the tune of "Who's the king of the Jungle?" - a children's church song that you will have sung if you went to a English Christian Primary School - with a few tweaks... enjoy!!
    (Or die of boredom... it is Maths after all!!!)

The “Optimum Angle of A Projectile” Song

So we’ve got,
    D in terms of theta equals,
    Two S squared over G,
    Open bracket, cos theta, sin theta, close bracket,
    You still with me?

This graph’s like a curve,
    Like a hill, I suppose,
    And the peak at the top’s what,
    We want to know,

But how?
    Oh how?

Differentiation,
    You hate it but it works,
    And this looks horrid to differentiate,
    But believe me, it could be worse,

The Product Rule, oh, product rule,
    u-dash-v plus v-dash-u,
    But two S squared over G is a constant,
    So here’s what you should do,

So we’ve got,
    Two S squared over G,
    (breathe!!!)
    Open bracket, minus sin theta times sin theta, plus, cos theta times cos theta, close bracket,
    (Could you say that fast enough? )
    You still with me?

I think this is nasty, don’t you?
    To avoid you getting confused...

So we’ve got,
    Two S squared over G,
    Open bracket, minus sin squared theta plus, cos squared theta, close bracket,
    You still with me?

Put this equal to zero,
    Because at the peak the gradient’s naught,
    Then it gets so simple,
    Just remember what you’ve been taught,

Divide by two S squared over G,
    So the equation ends up as,
    Minus sin squared theta plus cos squared theta
    Equals zero... easy as!!

Then add sin squared theta to both sides,
    And to your utmost surprise,

Now you’ve got,
    cos squared theta equals,
    sin squared theta... see?
    Really not as hard as you thought it was,
    You still with me?

Now divide by cos squared theta,
    And then it becomes,
    1 equals tan squared theta,
    Go, run, tell all your chums,

Because the answer’s pretty obvious,
    You might just get a prize,
    For doing inverse tan of 1 gives you,
    The Optimum Angle of 45!!!

Haha... you still alive???
    "If you were me, then I'd be you, and if I were you, I'd hide somewhere faraway..."

MoonRide*r* said:

I've got such a headache now

J/k

Except for the fact that you lost me at the first "D in terms of theta" this is great
    There is no glamour in sudden death, and nobody ever wins a war.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>
    ROCK 'n' Roll Halls of Fame

Katie13 said:

Haha, sorry about that!! We got so, so bored!
    Guessing you've never done Calculus, then
    "If you were me, then I'd be you, and if I were you, I'd hide somewhere faraway..."

4. RobberBaron said:

I wrote a song in Year 7 about transformations of shapes. It was actually quite catchy but very long!

Katie13 said:

That's because Maths in general is looooooooong But apparently makes good songs... who knew?? :L
    I don't suppose you know the song it's based on, do you?

6. RobberBaron said:

Yours or mine? Mine was based on the soundtrack for the Jimmy Neutron movie XD

Oh, yours is to the tune of "Who's the king of the Jungle?", but I don't think I've ever heard it.

Katie13 said:

Ah, the Jimmy Neutron movie - haha, what a classic!!
    And that's a shame... didn't go to a C of E junior school, then? There're the only types of junior school around my area

8. RobberBaron said:

I did, I used to always say "coffee" XD

Katie13 said:

Haha!! I never even thought of that!! Coffee... :L
    We had forced hymns every Wednesday and Friday - with really bad songs. Fun times for us -_- I like the singing but not so much the rubbish kiddie songs... you ever sing the 'Conkers!' song? Sheesh, the hymning community hit a new low the day that was written...
    Although no one knew what C of E stood for until, like, year 6!! We weren't that smart and it wasn't that great... I came out an atheist anyway...

10. RobberBaron said:

We had forced hymns too. Pointless really, if they're forced then it doesn't mean anything. No conkers...just like the whole world and gloooooooooooooria hosanna in microsoft excell

Katie13 said:

My favourite was Lord of the Dance - it was the only one we did with a half decent melody!! -_-
    I don't remember those... we had "Give Me Oil In My Lamp" and "Easter Jubilation" - that sounded like a death march!! It was sooo funny!

Oh, do you mean, "He's got the whole wide world... in his hands"? We had some rude alternative lyrics to that one... well, the guys did...

12. RobberBaron said:

Oh, I remember the oil one!

Katie13 said:

Haha, thought you might! What a fail of a song... repetitive as hell!! (Bad choice of words there but hey )

MoonRide*r* said:

Lol forced hymns, you oughta move to a totally random country like the good ol' USA

That was reeking of sarcasm and I can't even define everything I meant by it

And btw yeah I've managed to avoid Calculus like the plague for my whole life and I am not about to get get sucked into it now. I'll slit my wrists first
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>

15. RobberBaron said:

Yes, I often wished I could live in america. It just looks so cool on TV, "desks" and "highschool" and "prom night". And you wear whatever you want to school there, don't you?

MoonRide*r* said:

Well not whatever they want to coz there are dress codes, but no uniforms. Some private schools have uniforms though.
    But don't envy too much, coz there's always a bad side to whatever might be perceived as "good" .. and so much of TV is so NOT REAL, coz Hollywood is NOT mainstream America and some of those people are total idiots when it comes to "normal"
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>

17. RobberBaron said:

They've introduced this new rule where if you don't have the right uniform you're not allowed into school and they call your parents; that means if you have bracelets, earrings, a skirt that's too short, heels, a necklace, the wrong colour socks or shoes, the wrong type of coat/jacket. I mean, I generally don't wear bracelets, earrings, skirts, heels or necklaces, but it's still pretty harsh. Woah, we've gone way off topic lol, I thought we were in the other place XD

Katie13 said:

I always thought I'd die if I moved to the USA. I seem to have an inability to dress in something anybody else perceives to be remotedly 'fashionable' or even that just looks alreet Uniform is kinda my saviour!!
    And gosh, that's a bit harsh!! At my old school, they like to make out that they were that strict... but they so weren't. We did whatever the hell we liked Our school didn't have the greatest rep...

And so we have!! Well, moving on swiftly... :L

19. RobberBaron said:

I've just started textiles in technology, and we have to design and make a fashionable piece of clothing from recycled fabric. How on earth (or mondas, I'm not sure) am I going to design something that's "fashionable". Besides, after just learning about the sweatshops where designer label clothes are made in geography, and questioning how anyone can decide what looks good and what doesn't in RS, I've decided I'm against fashion, it just causes vanity really.

Katie13 said:

Good move Just make anything you like and then give that reason - I would!!
    And Your textiles course sounds awesome...