Thread: KAYAH - JakaJaKayah - (PL>>EN)

Tags: None

Paul Orhan said:

Default KAYAH - JakaJaKayah - (PL>>EN)

Artist: Kayah
    Song: "JakaJaKayah" / "WhatKayahAmI"*
    Music: Kayah
    Lyrics: Kayah
    Album: "JakaJaKayah" / "WhatKayahAmI" (2000)

The official video:

For those who - annoyed by disturbing sounds in the video - want to listen to the whole track in all its oriental beauty:
    http://elrey.wrzuta.pl/audio/1xHpVW1..._jaka_ja_kayah

Ja znajoma sobie i nieznana
    Me - familiar and unknown to myself

Chociaż wciąż ta, to nie taka sama
    Though still being myself, I am not being the same

Jestem inna niż każda napotkana
    I am different from any other woman you (may) come accross

I jak każda inna taka sama
    And I am just like every other woman

Jaka, jaka ja Kayah jestem?
    What am I, Kayah, like?

Jaka, jaka ja Kayah będę, jeśli będę?
    What will I, Kayah, be like if I am to be?

Prawda o mnie, jak prawda, bywa względna
    The truth about me, as any truth, happens to be relative

Bo jak kobieta każda jestem zmienna
    Because just like every woman I am changeable

Jaka, jaka ja Kayah jestem?
    What am I, Kayah, like?

Jaka, jaka ja Kayah będę, jeśli będę?
    What will I, Kayah, be like if I am to be?

--------------------------------------------------
    * The title track of Kayah's fourth official album, when divided into syllables JA-KA-JA-KA-YAH (the final h is mute), forms a very nice palindrome.

The title in itself is a hard task to translate, especially that it doesn't have any verb. So it can be translated as "What am I, Kayah, like?" or "What kind of Kayah am I?". Unfortunately, English hasn't got a proper equivalent of the Polish words "jaki/jaka/jakie" and the sole "what" will not suffice in this case.

Funny bit: the European/Canadian re-edition of this album was titled "YakaYaKayah".

Although these lyrics are so short it took me much longer than usual to translate them and I have to admit I failed to translate the wonderful paradoxes that form the Polish lyrics. Please forgive me!

"JakaJaKayah" has to be considered as Kayah's most eclectic album to date and definitely one of her most ambitious records. The music inspirations were varied, indeed, ranging from soul and funky through electronica and techno to jazz and folk.

The title track is perhaps one of her most "oriental" songs, chiefly due to the use of such instruments as Indian sitar, shenhai (North Indian oboe) and oriental percussion instruments.
    Last edited by Paul Orhan; 04-18-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Armita said:

Paw I decided to sing a song about progesterone!
    It will be sent to u and veryclever as soon as it's released.... :d

3. veryclever1980 said:

Thank you Pawel, you did a great job. You're right it's an oriental song. She uses Setar here. Setar is a Persian instrument, Se or Seh = 3 and tar or tār = string

Don't you remember that I told you "Iran and Poland should unite"? I've found so many similarities between our cultures and above all our conservatism is very similar.

This song talks about that trait too. I think she's changed through life but she can't/don't want to admit it. This dilemma led to the composition of this song.

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    ***The translations have been done by Bijan Kardouni AKA veryclever1980***

4. veryclever1980 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Armita View Post
    Paw I decided to sing a song about progesterone!
    It will be sent to u and veryclever as soon as it's released.... :d
    Lolllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    ***The translations have been done by Bijan Kardouni AKA veryclever1980***

Paul Orhan said:

Armita,

LMAO!!!!

Dooset daram
    Dooste joonam!

I should like to dedicate the above poem (which is my longest Persian poem to date) to you!

Mamnoonam!

Paul Orhan said:

Quote Originally Posted by veryclever1980 View Post
    Thank you Pawel, you did a great job. You're right it's an oriental song. She uses Setar here. Setar is a Persian instrument, Se or Seh = 3 and tar or tār = string

Don't you remember that I told you "Iran and Poland should unite"? I've found so many similarities between our cultures and above all our conservatism is very similar.

This song talks about that trait too. I think she's changed through life but she can't/don't want to admit it. This dilemma led to the composition of this song.

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    Oh not at all, Cleverim, not at all!

And sitar is Indian, canIm (and I guess the Pakistanis will claim it's theirs, too! )

The similarities that you mention here keep melting my heart every day!
    Where's my love for Turkey gone??? A union with you, azizam? Always

As to your interpretation of her lyrics, hmmm...

I'd rather see this song as a very intimate dialogue between the Artist and her public but also with herself.

You see, with "JakaJaKayah" she wanted to finally release herself from Bregović's embrace and show that she's an Artist in her own right and not only "this great interpreter of Goran's songs".

In these lyrics she ponders on such issues as "being an individual vs being part of a group", "being a public person vs being a private person".

But most importantly, she expresses the Artist's need for change even if her public would like her to remain the same (ie. the "Bregović" Kayah).

At the same time she wonders how this change will affect her, the private woman the she also is.

harir said:

oh paul ofcourse sitar is indian but sehtar is iranian and clever is talking about sehtar not sitar.sitar is an indian instrument but sehtar is from iran.

Paul Orhan said:

Quote Originally Posted by harir View Post
    oh paul ofcourse sitar is indian but sehtar is iranian and clever is talking about sehtar not sitar.sitar is an indian instrument but sehtar is from iran.
    My bad, sorry!
    I thought it's the same instrument, really.
    I've corrected my original note.
    Thank you, azizam, for spotting this and letting me know!

harir said:

no problem.its not your fault pauliiiiiiiiiii

astorias said:

Ja znajoma sobie i nieznana!

arkadasimdaN "kalbiMle" tesekkUr ediyoruM!!!
    ـــ★ـــ it seeMs likE every day's the saMe...
    aNd i'm leFt to discoVer on my owN...
    It seemS like everythinG is graY...
    and there's No coloR to beHold..