Translation Tool

Thread: Translation Tool

Tags: None
  1. Tammyy said:

Thumbs up Translation Tool

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Thats quite handy for translations its very literal though so the word order isn't always correct, but its usually enough to understand it. Plus it's kinda nifty to play around with lol

*Also you can copy and paste the link to the song you want translated and it will translate the whole page so you don't have to put it all in seperately.
    Last edited by Tammyy; 05-02-2006 at 08:10 PM.

2. CanucksFan39 said:

It doesnt have finnish.
    Babelfish = useless

3. Tammyy said:

oh gee no finnish what a pos *rolls her eyes* Its useful for how many other languages. I didn't say it was great for everything just useful for some stuff.

4. Cantante said:

Default try a dictionary

*first post* Hola to all the forum crawlers out there

babelfish and freetranslations are nice (plus the infinite other web translators), but a language<->language dictionary is also very handy. the web translators won't always catch homographs (words that have many meanings but look the same on paper). with a dictionary, you can usually see all the various meanings of a word.

...and if you're a foreign language addict like me, verb-conjugation books are invaluable.

good luck

5. Centauris said:

Hi All,

I started off on Babelfish when I first started to learn Spanish and found that at least a few years ago it left a lot to be desired. It's greatly improved now but it still makes some mistakes.

I agree with the advice that suggests you get a dictionary, not to trumpet these very good forums but www.wordreference.com has one of the best online translation dictionaries I've ever seen.

In addition to that, a good verb conjugator is an absolute 100% must-have if you're serious about trying to translate it yourself.

I bought a little application called "Verbix" about a year ago and it's great. I believe they also have a freebie verb conjugator on-line too:

http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/index.asp

Disclaimer: I don't work for either company (I'm from Australia and have a Mexican girlfriend if you want to understand the Spanish motivation) but these tools helped greatly.

Enjoy!

Loes said:

tnx for posting tammy...

verry usefull
    Just be who you are.... that is: All!