che tadbir ey mosalmanan ke man khod ra nemidanam

Thread: che tadbir ey mosalmanan ke man khod ra nemidanam

Tags: None
  1. akka said:

Default che tadbir ey mosalmanan ke man khod ra nemidanam

hi
    in third verse of this poem we have: "na az kounam na az kanam". could somebody explain me the meaning of "kan" in this verse? how can we understand this "kan" here?
    thank you

2. amir-timi said:

Hi,

It's really complicated! like all other poems of Rumi.

The words are originally Arabic, /Kan/ is simple past, means existed, /kun/ is simple present, means exists (for a long time, maybe forever).

In Arabic the expression /La kan va La ya kun/ means something that never existed, 'nothing', here I think Rumi translates it to Persian, so the whole verse means I'm nothing!
    Literally the expression /Kun va Makan/ means the universe, then here Rumi mixes the two words /kun/ and /kan/ to form the expression as well! to say I'm not from the /Kun va Makan/!

/kan/ in pure Persian means mineral things, like ores, so it's something from the earth (universe), on which every thing were 'created' by the creator, the God.
    /kun/ means things that exists and will last forever (and in Sufism world these are related to the heavens). So another meaning can be: Nor am I confined to Creation, nor the Throne Celestial

You can find three English translations here: http://www.iranian.com/main/node/98489

This is what I understand, if you want an exact meaning, you should talk to a professor of Persian literature. Although I really respect the Nicholson and Barks, I think the translation of Shahriari is better.

3. akka said:

thank you so much for your explanation. it was helpful for me

4. akka said:

hi
    i have one question more about this ghazal. i know that it is famous one, but i can not find it in edition of divan i have in my home. i have the good edition of mr. toufigh sobhani, but there is not this poem. i know that the best edition of the divan is the one of mr. furuzanfar, but i do not have access to it. i was looking for this poem in dorj 3 and in persopedia, but without success. i need the location of this poem (edition, editor, page, year and place of edition). can somebody help me? i will be grateful.
    thank you