Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

damarys said:

Ay! So much to learn!
    What is the slang that YOU use for money (dinero) in your country?

Here is what I found for the Cuban dialect: moneda, baro, chavito, divisa, fula, dolars, peso, plata, melon, moni, guanikiki, lana, pasta, yira.

bebestylee said:

Yeah....for beer we just say:

Cervesa, una Fria o lo llamamos por el nombre. jaja

or to hint that we want a beer we might say something like:

"Estoy Seco!" jaja
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

citlalli said:

@Damarys: for dinero the most common word in Mexico is 'lana', but you can also hear 'baros', 'pasta', 'chuchos', 'plata'... they're the ones I remember now maybe Zahra will know some others
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

4. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    @Damarys: for dinero the most common word in Mexico is 'lana', but you can also hear 'baros', 'pasta', 'chuchos', 'plata'... they're the ones I remember now maybe Zahra will know some others
    yea, i've heard lana before, but the one i use the most (dominican word) is cualto. and feria too

Zahra2008 said:

well, you already wrote some that I know... other that I remember now are: "devaluados", "feria", "luz"...
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

viciousz_love said:

i've used plata or lana when i'm with 'informal' people. dinero is used for more reserved or serious situations haha

dmoneyyyyyy where ya been?

7. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by viciousz_love View Post
    i've used plata or lana when i'm with 'informal' people. dinero is used for more reserved or serious situations haha

dmoneyyyyyy where ya been?
    i stay on here, i just never have anything to say

viciousz_love said:

oh well i missed you homie!

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    i stay on here, i just never have anything to say
    You never have anything good to say! it's never stopped you before! lol

Just kidding bro! how have you been?
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

10. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    You never have anything good to say! it's never stopped you before! lol

Just kidding bro! how have you been?
    jaja no mames. on the real, everything's been goin pretty bad, but as soon as i get my court date over with imma be good. and next week is spring break, so imma party real hard

damarys said:

Court date???? Did I miss something mijo?
    I hope everything goes well for you. It must be stressful, whatever it is. I'm on Spring Break right now... a little fun and way too much work. Enjoy yours but be safe and smart!

12. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    Court date???? Did I miss something mijo?
    I hope everything goes well for you. It must be stressful, whatever it is. I'm on Spring Break right now... a little fun and way too much work. Enjoy yours but be safe and smart!
    yea, i got it for disturbin the peace with the system in my car. the chota was messed up though. he patted me down and searched my car over that little bitty charge because he thought i was in a gang (even though i said i wasn't). i just don't wanna get drug tested jaja

damarys said:

Okay.... that's not too bad. I just want to tell you that I didn't call the cops.... it wasn't me! Not this time. They patted you down because of your music? Sounds like profiling to me.

Say no to drugs, dmoney.... stay clean. You are a very smart person. The world needs your brain intact! Get high on music!

citlalli said:

yea, i got it for disturbin the peace with the system in my car. the chota was messed up though. he patted me down and searched my car over that little bitty charge because he thought i was in a gang (even though i said i wasn't). i just don't wanna get drug tested jaja
    'la chota' LOL LOL... I hadn't heard that in ages!!

Well, hope it'll go fine for you; keep us informed, ok?
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

15. dmoney101 said:

Okay.... that's not too bad. I just want to tell you that I didn't call the cops.... it wasn't me! Not this time. They patted you down because of your music? Sounds like profiling to me.

Say no to drugs, dmoney.... stay clean. You are a very smart person. The world needs your brain intact! Get high on music!
    yea, the chota was askin me retarded questions so i could tell he thought i was banging. and i don't do drugs, just smoke weed on the weekends. i don't let it affect my life though

'la chota' LOL LOL... I hadn't heard that in ages!!

Well, hope it'll go fine for you; keep us informed, ok?
    orale. how have you not heard chota in ages? that's all we say around here

bebestylee said:

yea, the chota was askin me retarded questions so i could tell he thought i was banging. and i don't do drugs, just smoke weed on the weekends. i don't let it affect my life though

orale. how have you not heard chota in ages? that's all we say around here
    That sucks bro....But at least you get to live up Spring Break! You live to fight another day! lol.....

You need to invest in something called Dynamat! Look into it....it'll reduce your risk of getting charged with Disturbing the peace! Not only does it reduce the vibrations on the metal it also deepens the bass and kicks it back into the car!

Chota for us is a Snitch. We call cops...La Jara!

viciousz_love said:

aw man that blows dmoney i hope everything goes well for you

damarys said:

You need to invest in something called Dynamat! Look into it....it'll reduce your risk of getting charged with Disturbing the peace! Not only does it reduce the vibrations on the metal it also deepens the bass and kicks it back into the car!
    Who says you can't learn anything on ATL? I'm checking into the Dynamat for my kids.... one of these days I'm going to call la chota, la jarra on them for disturbing MY peace! LOL!!!!!!

bebestylee said:

Who says you can't learn anything on ATL? I'm checking into the Dynamat for my kids.... one of these days I'm going to call la chota, la jarra on them for disturbing MY peace! LOL!!!!!!
    lol....you'll be called a Chota for calling La Jara! lol

yeah Dynamat is great...but not easy to install...you literally have to strip the car down to the metal...and apply the mat......but it's a small price to pay for the outcome!

20. dmoney101 said:

That sucks bro....But at least you get to live up Spring Break! You live to fight another day! lol.....

Chota for us is a Snitch. We call cops...La Jara!
    yea i know, but there's only like 3 puerto ricans and one dominican in the whole city. they rest are either mexican or central american, so we all say chota

lol....you'll be called a Chota for calling La Jara! lol

yeah Dynamat is great...but not easy to install...you literally have to strip the car down to the metal...and apply the mat......but it's a small price to pay for the outcome!
    dang, i was gonna look into it until you said that. there's no way im gonna pay to have that installed