Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None
  1. jenniqua said:

and hey i was wondering if u could help me outt..im not sure if this is slang but in a lot of reggaeton songs, artists tend to use 'ao' words, por ejemplo besao or atrapao. can u tel me what they mean and what tense of spanish words they are?

arux said:

sacale todo el sudor= make her sweat
    sueltate = get loose
    vamos pa encima= lets get to it, let's do it
    pegate = get close

The words that end in 'ao' are almost always real words that end in 'ado'. The reason is that in Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Cuba, etc, people tend to not pronounce the letter 'd' in words that have the 'ado' ending. For example, they say 'cansao' instead of 'cansado', 'quemao' instead of 'quemado'... There are many similar cases like 'lo' instead of 'los', 'lapi' instead of 'lapiz'. Notice that the alteration is just verbal, they do not write the words without the' d' or the letter they omit.

3. jenniqua said:

Quote Originally Posted by arux
    sueltate = get loose
    pegate = get close

The words that end in 'ao' are almost always real words that end in 'ado'. The reason is that in Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Cuba, etc, people tend to not pronounce the letter 'd' in words that have the 'ado' ending. For example, they say 'cansao' instead of 'cansado', 'quemao' instead of 'quemado'... There are many similar cases like 'lo' instead of 'los', 'lapi' instead of 'lapiz'. Notice that the alteration is just verbal, they do not write the words without the' d' or the letter they omit.
    thanks! and whats the meaning of 'me cago en la p(8)u)ta'

4. Marx said:

Quote Originally Posted by arux
    sueltate = get loose
    pegate = get close

Its amazing how much slang has been made. I'm Mexican from the capital and my spanish is more like how english is taught in the States. I can usually figure out most of the words they use in reggaeton, but sometimes its like they change the meaning of a word completely. Mexico is starting to use the slang more and more from the islands given how reggaeton is becoming more popular here. Even in New York (where i live right now) i dont encounter all the slang used. AND New York has the biggest population of puerto ricans and dominicans. I would go to the latin clubs in NYC, but im very white mexican. My nickname when i was little and still living in Mexico was gringa. In the city, they dont like if youre light/fair skinned. Plus I have money, and they dont like that either. This is why I mostly hang out with the Spanish kids in manhattan because most of them look similar to me and have money as well.

5. Paganstars said:

Well tht ought to suck! But thanks... this clarified alot of words I didn't understand! *Kinda hard here in holland to ask about your slang cuz there aren't a lot of puerto ricans, cubans or dominicans!*

6. andy197412 said:

Default about some slangs....

Quote Originally Posted by tru_love View Post
    ok so i don't know exactly how to spell it or anything, but in some of Don Omar's songs, a girl says like 'suelta con monga vete'. i know that is probably totally off of what they are really saying, but do u know what they are saying and what it means?

Well, my name is andy and I come from Chile (South America)
    I can tell you that a lots of slangs appear here I dont know what they mean, and I speak spanish too! The reason is because these slangs come from America Central, and they are others slangs that in south america we don´t use. In Chile we have a lots of slangs too, very very much, and many parts of southamerica dont understan us, because we unshort the words and we speak very quickly. Almost anybody understand us! jeje

Saludos!

7. gatita x said:

Default avisame

what does avisame mean?? its an ill song, i understand parts of it but dont even understand the title! please&thankyou.

arux said:

Avisame means 'let me know'...

9. imnot4u2005 said:

Hey... i just wanted to thank all of yall for translating this stuff... i know spanish but the slang is ridiculous and its so hard keeping up when im not around it constantly. Arux, im so jealous... im in Miami all the time i love it... id move there in a heartbeat... but being in Miami do you go out alot? what clubs do you go to for, that arent so touristy?

Bambambonita said:

So you never answered, what EXACTLY can dale mean to a Puerto Rican?? I've heard it used in many different ways, to mean many different things. Im still confused, but you can normally catch on with the sentence.

arux said:

Sorry... I haven't been here in a while. Hmmm where did you get the expression 'can dale' from? It doesnt mean anything lol. Maybe it sounds like that, but by hearing those words the only thing that comes to my mind that sounds similar is "don dale".... Can you tell me where you got it from so I have a context?

Bambambonita said:

LOL!! No, not "can dale"....the word "DALE". Like in the song from Don Omar, yes, but i've heard it can mean a lot of different things, depending on the way you use it. What can it all mean??
    ~*Tu Eres Mi Vida. Mi Todo.*~

arux said:

Haha that's funny. "Dale Don Dale" means "GO, Don GO". Dale can also mean 'hit it', as in 'dale golpes'. But in this case, it is just an incitation to Don Omar to 'do his thing (good music)', so that the girls can dance (pa que se muevan las yales).

By the way, I like your picture :P

Bambambonita said:

Ahh, I see. I've understood, from the puerto ricans I hang out with, that dale can mean, go ahead, do it, try it, just like everything. Like if I were to say, "Im going to smack you" they would say "Dale cabronna!" Lol. I dunno, its a weird word.

And...Thank you! =)
    ~*Tu Eres Mi Vida. Mi Todo.*~

amanda090977 said:

Question clarifacation

Y yo reconozco una cosa que...quizas pasara el tiempo y que no encuentre con quien compartir pero seguire luchando, pero a esta guerra tuya y mia, yo no le puedo decir mas que si seguire mi camino, sigue el tuyo. Adios.

And I recognize one thing that... perhaps it will pass the time and I won't find who to share it with but I will keep fighting, but in this war of yours and mine, I will not tell you more about if I will continue on this path. Continue on yours. Goodbye.

yo no le puedo decir mas que si seguire mi camino, sigue el tuyo. Adios.

Is the above correct - or is he saying that he can not tell her to follow his path anymore???

Thanks!

arux said:

I think "pero a esta guerra tuya y mia, yo no le puedo decir mas que si seguire mi camino, sigue el tuyo. Adios." is a little weird(punctuation wise). For that to make good sense, you would have to change it to "pero a esta guerra tuya y mia, yo no le puedo decir mas que sí seguire mi camino. Sigue el tuyo. Adios." Which means 'but to this war between you and me, I can't say anything but the fact that I will continue on my path. Continue on yours. Goodbye' If you dont understand why, I'll be more detailed on the reasons...

17. eidolon21 said:

Hey first off thanks to everyone who's been translating it's been a huge help.
    I've been wondering about this for a while, it's from the song 'Abusando del Genero' by Tempo, Trebol Clan, Voltio, Yomo, Zion y Lennox. The lyrics are

Se jodio la manivela
    Cuida'o con el cabrón de siete suela
    Nos vamos a to'a las espuelas
    O te cagas en la tela, toma gabela
    Chotas en mi guiso no cuelan
    Mi lírica o mi AK los coge y los desmantela
    Yo le canto a la mami de piel canela
    A los hijueputas guilla'o en mi vieja escuela
    Mis panas presos y a to's los que son carabela
    Tu crees que metes cabras

What's manivela, ...siete suela, gabela, chotas, and carabela?
    Thanks in advance

amanda090977 said:

Thumbs up Thank you Arux!

Thank you for all you help!

19. gatita x said:

Default aint my thing

whatup arux good lookin out with what youre doing, helpin assimilate an **** =]
    i know theres no 'aint' in spanish really, but how would you say that somethin "aint my thing .. isnt my thing ".
    please,thankyou.
    stayup,peace.

arux said:

Thumbs up Ain't my thing

Some ways to say it are:

"No es lo mio"
    "No entro en eso"
    "No estoy en eso"