Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Layla View Post

Once again, you give me a nice surprise, Layla! I love this. Do you have some rogue American genes somewhere in your history??? Sometimes I could swear it.

This song is intriguing. One moment, I get it, the next I don't . . . which pretty much fits with the lyrics of the song. Here they are. I will be perplexing over a line here and there for a day or two:

THE CIVIL WARS - "Poison & Wine"

Songwriters: WHITE, JOHN / WILLIAMS, JOY / LINDSEY, CHRIS

You only know what I want you to
    I know everything you don't want me to
    Your mouth is poison, your mouth is wine
    You think your dreams are the same as mine

Oh, I don't love you, but I always will
    I don't love you but I always will
    I always will
    I wish you'd hold me when I turn my back
    The less I give, the more I get back
    Oh, your hands can heal, your hands can bruise
    I don't have a choice but I still choose you

I don't love you, but I always will
    I always will

I always will
    I always will
    I always will
    I always will

(from Lyricsmode)

Thanks

Thanks

One more, to say "Goodnight . . . "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    Once again, you give me a nice surprise, Layla! I love this. Do you have some rogue American genes somewhere in your history??? Sometimes I could swear it.

This song is intriguing. One moment, I get it, the next I don't . . . which pretty much fits with the lyrics of the song. Here they are. I will be perplexing over a line here and there for a day or two:
    I might have some rogue genes indeed... ;p

Tell me about being intriguing... I love it!

Also listen to this one:

Thanks

Dear Layla, Three points:

(1) Recently I have been listening to modern-day English lullabys.
    Why? IDK, just listening on YT. Anyway, here come these two with very oddly romantic songs that sometimes sound like lullabys.

(2) Do you recall a LONG time ago, I observed and asked, "Why does all the really good music seem to be coming out of (you name it--non-English countries)?" I couldn't think of one English singer that matched the beauty of the international music I was hearing. Many ATL members came back with good English examples; and finally they convinced me good music does come out of the U.S. and English-speaking countries. My eyes were re-opened to English music.

Now, The Civil Wars come along and blow me away! Thank you very much for posting their beautiful song, adding to my list of really great singers!

(3) The icing on the cake is this: "Tip of My Tongue" is every bit as deeply emotional, soul-touching, and beautiful as the love songs I've heard from Turkey, Greece, Israel, North Africa, Arabic countries, India, etc.!! That is what I thought English music was lacking when I complained. Depth of lyrics (yet, in the case of The Civil Wars, so simply put!) and very beautifully sung! Truly, they are a treasure!! Even the U.S. has a wonderfully (unusual) romantic duo. Thank you!

Thanks

Default My Father's Father

. . .

THE CIVIL WARS - "MY FATHER'S FATHER"

I hear something hanging on the wind
    I see black smoke up around the bend
    I got my ticket and I'm going to go
    Home

The leaves have changed a time or two
    Since the last time the train came through
    Home

My father's father's blood is on the tracks
    A sweet refrain drifts in from the past
    Home

The winding roads that led me here
    Burn like coal and dry like tears
    So here's my home, my tired soul
    And here's my ticket, I want to go
    Home

Thanks

Amazing how wonderfully Turkish this music, composed by a Greek composer, is:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post

THE CIVIL WARS - "Poison & Wine"

Songwriters: WHITE, JOHN / WILLIAMS, JOY / LINDSEY, CHRIS

You only know what I want you to
    I know everything you don't want me to
    Your mouth is poison, your mouth is wine
    You think your dreams are the same as mine

I don't love you but I always will
    I always will
    I wish you'd hold me when I turn my back
    The less I give, the more I get back
    Oh, your hands can heal, your hands can bruise
    I don't have a choice but I still choose you

I always will

I always will
    I always will
    I always will
    I always will

(from Lyricsmode)
    Layla posted an amazing song.
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.
    Stunning feeling...to just meet them.

Thanks

...after 9 days and 5 calls...they managed to fix my internet.
    This is getting a real nightmare.

- "...for English menu, press 3..."
    - I press "3"...
    - "please hold on the line and one of our representatives will contact you soon"
    - I hold on the line...
    - "...music playing..."
    - agent responds: "bla bla bla ...prosim?"
    - "Hello sir, I have a problem with my internet connection, the DSL line is down since ... Can you help me?"
    - "Please hold on the line, I will pass your call to an English speaker, thank you for your patience..."
    - ?????????????????????? W T F ? That wasn't English?
    - ....waiting....waiting....waiting...9 minutes after...:"
    - "bla bla bla prosim?"
    - "Hello sir, my internet connection is down, this is the 3rd time I call service desk, can you help me please?"
    - "Sure, please give me your subscriber ID sir? ... bla bla bla..."
    9 days after:

- ring, ring, ring,
    - (same story as above...but finally someone who is "willing" to speak English gets on the line)..
    - "Yes, sir, I can see that your internet connection is fixed...."
    - "Thank you very much... " I was about to give you the old raspberry though. But anyway, you were lucky.

The relevant song title should be this:

Just telephone mama
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.

Thanks

6 months ago...

going to the "Foreign Police" to apply for "residence card" (EU member...)

a huge load of non-EU citizens in the Foreign Police waiting to apply for European citizenship...
    Thankfully the queues for non-EU and EU citizens were separated...

So although that I got the magic "paper" with the number 243 in the line, i was actually No. 8 'cause the non-EU numbers were skipped...

Long story short, after half an hour wait...

- (big smile) Good morning, I'd like to apply for the residence card.
    - prosim?
    - (W T F ? ) -> residence card, no?
    - $#^%$%&^&^ Sasha?
    - (Sasha comes, Foreign police officer but she knew how to say good morning in Anglicky...)
    - me thinks: well, she speaks some English, that's good, if it also happens that my face is somewhat attractive to her as well, I might manage to apply for this residence card today....

it worked. I'm a lucky bastard no?
    But anyway, a bottle and some piece of paper in it with the proper message in the proper language might be useful in such situations...I'm working on it...

Thanks

...tonight's subject:
    Buying a car in Central Europe

at the dealer...

- hmm yeap, this paper is ok, this paper is ok, this paper is ok, ... but... wait a moment...
    As i read in the internet, these Technical control and Emission control papers that you give me for the car should
    be accompanied by 2 stickers to stick them on the windscreen...right?
    - Right, but no. you can buy them separately at every Technical and Emission control station...
    - OK Thank you very much for the deal have a nice day. You were so helpful.

at the office...

-Hi guys, can you suggest a nearby Technical and Emission Control station where I can buy the relevant stickers for
    my car?
    - Huh? the dealer who provided the papers of the car should give it to you...
    - You're kidding me....
    - No.

next day at the office...

- ok guys I found an STK and EK office nearby, do I need to bring to them something more than the papers of the car
    to get the stickers?
    - Huh? you don't need just only the stickers... They need to give you also a card which proves that the car has passed
    Technical and Emission control because the cops are asking for that...
    - What card are you talking about???
    - ... it's a card.
    - ok.

next day at the office...

- Good morning guys... I confirmed that i need both the f...cking stickers and the card + the papers of the Technical and
    Emission control... Should I be alright to go and get them?
    - Sure, here is the nearest Technical and Emission Control that you can go to get them...
    - Thanks. Daniela can you please call them and verify that the papers are enough for them?
    - Sure moment....
    - drrriiiiiinnnnn....bla bla bla...
    - Well, Sotiri they say that you have to bring the car with you as well...
    - The car? For what? The car already passed the controls, I have the official papers...
    - Ehm, I don't know, they probably want to make sure that the stickers will go onto your car and not anyone else's car...dunno
    - (W T F , nobody ever bought a car here? nobody knows the process?)
    - ok I will get the car to them as well...maybe I will take them for a ride too, who knows...
    - Jozef: noooooooooo, you don't have to bring the car to them... That's what the dealer told us remember?
    - ........nice. anyway, let's get back to work, before I kill somebody for no reason....

Thanks

...and after all these...

Taking your car for a routine service in Central Europe...

- Hey Richard, hi nice to meet you ... Your brother Jozef told you that i bought this ****... right ?
    So, I'd like to have it serviced just to be sure because that's how it works with used cars no?
    - Sure, no probs...
    - drrriiiiiiinnnnn, Hi Sotiris, I identified a small leak at the turbocharger... it's not something serious , probably a faulty
    seal... Shall we fix it?
    - Well, why not? just do your calculations and give me a price for it...together with the service cost...

2 days after...

driiiiinggg
    - Hi Richard how is it going? Jozef told me you got a final price for everything right? routine service + the seal for the turbocharger...
    - Well yeah.... The turbocharger will cost 500.
    - What are you talking about man?
    - The turbocharger will be replaced.
    - For what?
    - Well it's got a leak...
    - Well my apartment got a leak once too but i didn't buy a new apartment, I fixed the leak.
    - ok, just change the oil and the rest... (...the mechanics in Greece know how to do it. )

pfffffffffffffffff, I'm full of it.

thus the title of the song...

Thanks

Pane Safe1, this portal and this thread are not about Craddellian emigres experiencing problems with themselves and thus offering pathetic displays of their churlish manners and self-pity. Perhaps it's high time you found a shrink to vent out your frustrations. Because your problem is not the Slovakian red tape or any of this country's institutions - it's you. Yes, yes it's you.

AND if you do have to criticize the country that has given you a job, that you were unable to find at home, perhaps you could at least do it with some grace and style, huh? Ever thought of the fact that hiring you in Slovakia made some Slovakian person jobless?

But, OMG shrinks speaking Cradellian only live in the Cradle ! And that would require coming back to the Cradle But there's no job for me there! Catch22 or so it seems.

Life seems unable to teach you anything.

Is the Cradellian burreaucracy so efficient? Really?? I can't believe it.

The Cradle - Greece
    Cradellian - n. Greek person, adj. Greek
    "Catch22" - title a novel written by Joseph Heller, oftet used as a metaphor for a situation or problem with no way out.
    Last edited by Paul Orhan; 09-12-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks

This exchange makes me sad.Ok So I believe this thread is not designated for this type of issues I'm going to react. After all I'm Slovak

@Safe1- I'm not going to defend Slovak Bureaucracy,because this was one the reasons why I moved from Slovakia. I have bad news for you it is hard to live in Slovakia. Harder then in Western Europe. You have to be very patient and smarter then people you are dealing with cause many are looking for your weakness. I do understand your frustration but you won't solve it on this forum. The truth is that to continue living in Slovakia you have to get use to it or relocate to different country. Also you have full right to complain. We are EU members and we should make life easier to all people living in our country cause this is frustrating for all. Please contact me in the future and I'll try to help you.

@Paul Although I understand that you are upset and that Safe is little bit overreacting. One statement made me very sad. I have to quote:

"Ever thought of the fact that hiring you in Slovakia made some Slovakian person jobless" This sentence is used by far right politicians in UK, Ireland and many other countries. They just change few words. For me the point of EU is exactly that you can move and work in different countries. If member state is not happy with hiring citizen from other member states then the EU is not necessary and it existence defends the purpose. And if you pay taxes and obey the law you sure have the right to complain. In fairness I think foreigners are more vulnerable then locals. For years there was double standard. the foreigner was always charged more. Let's face it thousands of Polish citizens emigrated to Western Europe after Poland joined the EU. And my you don't want to hear Their complaints. I heard for example from one Polish girl that and now I quote " There isn't God in Ireland" And trust me many people want them to GO HOME. But you know what it is in human nature to complain and there are so many great Poles in this country I believe Ireland worse without them.

Two words guys -Wisdom and Tolerance. You are both in your 40ties (however it is scientifically proven that men mature in their 60ties )

Anyways peace out & love you both.

Thanks

I musht protesht again - we're both only 41!!!! We've jusht begun our fortiesh!!!!

Totally agree with you, Ofratko, and thanks for your peaceful tone! That's what we call "class"

I can only imagine what the Poles must be saying - we're a nation of pitiful grumpies and to be frank I'm no exception

I'm sorry if I sounded like a right-wing politician, but that's a sad fact also in case of Poles who flooded the Isles soon after our entry to the EU.

Before Safe1 arrived to Slovakia he thought of going to Canada - and let me tell you, Safe, you can't imagine how lucky you are to have avoided the red maple leaf tape!

good night everyone!

Roma locuta, causa finita?

I do hope so, ciao!

Thanks

This is perfect example of good emigration.

@Pawlik- again duly noted. Grumpie

Thanks

You couldn't have put a better vid, Ofratku Zlaty!

Yessssss!

Thanks

Ofratko, I'm very much looking forward to that "maturity" thing
    No wait, on second thought, no I'm not. Coz sometimes it's too much fun to be irrelevantly immature
    Found on www: "If you haven't grown up by age 50, you don't have to." I love that!

Paul, my dear ol' buddy, just off the cuff, in some significant ways I'm a right-winger, but the problem is that the media-at-large usually bash and distort people like me so bad (in so many wrong ways) that very few people understand people like me at all. And politicians of almost any ilk make me wanna retch. Please note my signature at this point .. but my last word is that I'm not in disagreement with you.

___

So anyway.... seriously missing my Boo

There is no glamour in sudden death, and nobody ever wins a war.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>
    ROCK 'n' Roll Halls of Fame

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Orhan View Post
    The Craddle - Greece
    Craddellian - n. Greek person, adj. Greek
    assuming you mean "cradle", it only has one d in it.

Ночь
    От стены к стене
    Я иду в забытом сне
    Туда…
    В поиске себя
    Где-то тут была
    Потеряла – не нашла
    Звала… всё звала…

Thanks

Ah you right-wingers

@ Moon- Thank God( or pity maybe) that the native americans didn't have so strict immigration policy 300 years ago. And seriously party with a tea?? Where is the fun in that!

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast