What are you listening to? - Hebrew edition

Thread: What are you listening to? - Hebrew edition

Tags: None

bateli777 said:

2:16 AM over here.........................Good Night to all
    Ploutarxos Gia Panta

Ofratko said:

Quote Originally Posted by bateli777 View Post
    where do we register....? a link would be helpful ....I wonder if Bezalel Aloni knows about your activity...he would be touched.
    Pardon me my inefficiency ...http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/groups/ofra-haza.html here is the link.. Well there is many people who love Ofra not just myself...

3. Astraea said:

3:15 here.... so, we are Slavs.... starts with S.... not that far away from Israel.... not that far away...well, you got the answer
    Good night!
    Last edited by Astraea; 06-01-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: there was no teasing

Ofratko said:

GOOOOD MOORRRRNNNIINNNG sleepy heads!

@Astraea- You are such a tease. But I still love you

@Batelli I'm S for Slovak, which is also Slav.

Što ne boli – to nije život, što ne prolazi – to nije sreća

Paul Orhan said:

I'm dying to know how non Israelis get to know our music and love it....it looks like magic...
    I feel we're at the end of the world in terms of music...each time I get to know someone who appreciates our music ...it really baffles me ....
    The ball is in your court Ofratko ...

Some of the names we get from the radio stations (Ofra Haza) or TV (ESC is very helpful in this respect, vide Harel The Beautiful Skaat), some big names visit us from time to time for a concert (eg. Yasmin Levy).

Some names become cult through some very surprising and unexepected events - like receiving a cassette with recordings from an Israeli guy by my ex-GF
    during a holiday German language course (Rita, the guy singing about Tel-a-Viv).

Some new and exciting names come to us through this very Forum, for which I'd love to say a BIG TODAH!!!!

Why does it affect us?

In my case it's like I have always been touched by the Jewish music idiom, be it the current pop music or the XVIth century songs of the Sephardic Jews popularised here by a group of students from the Iberic Languages Faculty. This has even led to my buying of a Ladino-English dictionary and let me mention here it's a linguistic delight to flick through its pages! Pity that this noble language, just like Yiddish, is a dying one.

Maybe it's because I treat it as part of my own cultural heritage. I'm a Slav, aren't I?

But I agree with Ofratko that the main source is Israelis themselves.

And hey, we've got great Klezmer bands here, too!!

One of them is here:

[rr5K3dvxAi8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr5K3dvxAi8[/video]

6. Astraea said:

Quote Originally Posted by Another Slav here :)
    But I agree with Ofratko that the main source is Israelis themselves.
    Hey, I said this

Quote Originally Posted by bateli777
    I listen ONLY to Greek music.
    I love a handful of Israeli artists and respect them...but I have ears only for Greek..
    And why, may I ask? There was a Greek person in your life........ Because we like things because of the people, right?! People and love.
    Last edited by Astraea; 06-01-2012 at 09:51 AM.

bateli777 said:

My not so decorative posts are also my silent way of protesting the poor changes done in this format ...
    I'm all for changes when they better things...this is not the case....
    /\
    ---<----<--<<o>>
    V

this is a home made flower....I hope you appreciate the effort

Kalo mina Happy Rosh (head) Chodesh (month)

Shabbat Shalom to all of you
    Ploutarxos Gia Panta

Paul Orhan said:

Quote Originally Posted by Astraea View Post
    Hey, I said this
    Is it forbidden to repeat a good phrase? How Slav are you???

Quote Originally Posted by Astraea
    And why, may I ask? There was a Greek girl in your life........ Because we like things because of the people, right?! People and love.
    There is a... man in Batelli's life, who's an endless source of inspiration for her. Ever heard of Theos, i.e. Ploutarxos???

Shabbat Shalom to everyone!

Special <3<3<3 Shabbat Shalom Batelim!

9. Astraea said:

Hahha Pavel (?), (Paul is not, right?), of course not, Ofratko's posts can pass like mine And vice versa
    My S is for Serbia.

Shabbat Shalom!

bateli777 said:

Shabbat Shalom to you all
    The story goes like this...

It was my brother's birthday...some 20 years ago...at around 2 am the guests had left and I started cleaning up ...
    I finished around 3:15 and fell down on the sofa....to rest.
    Little did I know that this tired crash on it would change the course of my life....

My body hit a tape recorder and I heard the most amazing sound of Dalaras singing Mi Milas Mi Gelas .....
    From that day on I've stopped listening to Israeli music and started inquiring about Greek music and Dalaras.
    Needless to say I've attended EVERY show of his ....bought 30+ discs and became a HUGE fan.

Years have passed and I found interest in other voices...to mention a few....Notis enjoyed my attention for a couple of years...
    Mixalis followed him and occupied most of my heart ....and then came Yiannis.

With Yiannis things picked up fast ...and this is why...
    Since Yiannis is the epitome of Goodness...Kindness....Purity....Divinity.....and Immense Talent...I soon found fans on facebook who were just like him.
    These young people invited me to Greece to watch the show...and I did.
    I left Israel after 20 years of not finding a reason to get to the airport....I've been to Europe for my honeymoon and got a bit bored...
    These fine youth...Babis and Nikoleta at first and then many others...treated me like family.
    And so my Greek Man is not a romantic oriented person but a great vocalist whose voice is just to die for....I can't get enough of him.

I love others too....but not as much as I love him.
    After attending 7 of his shows and talking to him so many times...he is a friend. His humble manners and lack of vanity were an added bonus to his Fonara....

So now he is coming for the first time to Israel...and I feel I have a hand in this since he's been declining offers for so many years.
    I've convinced him that he has a devoted fans here.

I started shopping...and I hope to reshop after losing a bit of weight....

He is To Kalitero Paidi of the Greek musical scene...and I love him and respect him tremendously.

I also ADORE Mixalis Xatzigiannis and Nikos Vertis .....the late Mitropanos ....Nikos Ikonomopolous...Loukas Yiorkas...Pizza Papadopoulou and many others.............but Yiannis is my HEART and SOUL.....einai asteri mou...agapi mou....anasa mou....thee mou !!!
    I hope I've answered your questions regarding Greek music and the "man" involved in it.

Dearest Paul....
    It will never cease to amaze me....your interest in our music....but you've provided ....actually all of you ...an answer which warms my heart..and gives me hope for a better future....in short...the world is bound to become a better place when people connect in such a wonderful way.

Feel free to decorate this short essay about Yiannis
    Ploutarxos Gia Panta

bateli777 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Ofratko View Post
    Pardon me my inefficiency ...http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/groups/ofra-haza.html here is the link.. Well there is many people who love Ofra not just myself...
    I come from a very musical family...also from Yemenite origin.
    My brother is a singer song writer whose songs are often heard on the radio...my sister sings in a unique choir which performs all over the globe and wins first prizes...my oldest brother studied and worked for a while as a music studio technitian...and my late father was a cantor in synagogue....
    I love your passion about Ofra ...if you know the clip Galbi you must have noticed the older man who plays the metal cube shape box....
    His name is Aharon Amram and he is an amazing Jewish Yemenite singer.
    He lived in my town and moved to a near one a few years ago.
    I forgot to mention...many Mizrachi singers live in my town...Yishay Levi...Nati Levi his brother...Yoav Yitzchak...and others...
    We also have one of the best string ansambles in the world....I'll look for a clip of them for you.
    On behalf of all Israelis who adored Ofra and grieved her premature passing....I thank you
    Ploutarxos Gia Panta

Paul Orhan said:

Quote Originally Posted by Astraea View Post
    Hahha Pavel (?), (Paul is not, right?), of course not, Ofratko's posts can pass like mine And vice versa
    My S is for Serbia.
    Almost, 'cuz it's Paweł

Are you a little bit Turkoholic, too???

13. Astraea said:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Orhan View Post
    Are you a little bit Turkoholic, too???
    Yes, I am. After all, we had them almost 500 years here, in the Balkans! If you see the pics some of the most famous people in our history, you'll notice they had Turkish moustache and this hat

There were a lot of Jews too. First synagogue in my town dated from before 1695.

Here's one very beautiful song from my multicultural Balkan. It's a mixture of Balkan, Turkish and Hebrew music.

[5gB5m22VRRY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gB5m22VRRY[/video]

Ofratko said:

I come from a very musical family...also from Yemenite origin.
    My brother is a singer song writer whose songs are often heard on the radio...my sister sings in a unique choir which performs all over the globe and wins first prizes...my oldest brother studied and worked for a while as a music studio technitian...and my late father was a cantor in synagogue....
    I love your passion about Ofra ...if you know the clip Galbi you must have noticed the older man who plays the metal cube shape box....
    His name is Aharon Amram and he is an amazing Jewish Yemenite singer.
    He lived in my town and moved to a near one a few years ago.
    I forgot to mention...many Mizrachi singers live in my town...Yishay Levi...Nati Levi his brother...Yoav Yitzchak...and others...
    We also have one of the best string ansambles in the world....I'll look for a clip of them for you.
    On behalf of all Israelis who adored Ofra and grieved her premature passing....I thank you
    I have heard about Aharon Amram and I have heard that Israelis with Yemenite roots are the best musicians...Thank you for your lovely words & rose( I like your own creations as well). Ofra's passing was quite hard to overcome. I cried for days....I heard first time Ofra's song in a shop and I bought the CD immediately and I felt in love.. Love which is never ending. And although I have discovered more Israeli singers later in my life( Sarit Haddad & Zehava are very good as well) they can't replace her... It's the same as with your greek love

So one song you might enjoy Batelli. Just for you( well of course all others can listen to it as well)

Ofratko said:

Hey you have this long discussion here without me... Where have I been? Oh right working

Batelli Toda for sharing your story. Very interesting and inspiring. Again a proof that music doesn't know borders or politics. Might try to listen to those singers as well

To my fellow little Slavs... Aren't we just great people? Truly. Pawel your turkoholism is very unusual for Poland isn't it? Do your friends and family understand it?

Astraea- . The group is almost as good as Balkanika( which I love)
    Što ne boli – to nije život, što ne prolazi – to nije sreća

Ofratko said:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Orhan View Post
    Pity that this noble language, just like Yiddish, is a dying one.

Maybe it's because I treat it as part of my own cultural heritage. I'm a Slav, aren't I?
    Pawel kochanie... One klezmer song just for your laska nebeska My favorite Shnirele Perele

BTW this is Klezmer band from Bratislava. I'm big fan of The Klezmatics but this guys are great as well.

bateli777 said:

[8ZqxEwNeGVI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZqxEwNeGVI&feature=related[/video]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofratko View Post
    I have heard about Aharon Amram and I have heard that Israelis with Yemenite roots are the best musicians...Thank you for your lovely words & rose( I like your own creations as well). Ofra's passing was quite hard to overcome. I cried for days....I heard first time Ofra's song in a shop and I bought the CD immediately and I felt in love.. Love which is never ending. And although I have discovered more Israeli singers later in my life( Sarit Haddad & Zehava are very good as well) they can't replace her... It's the same as with your greek love

So one song you might enjoy Batelli. Just for you( well of course all others can listen to it as well)

I just love Yemenite female singing ...they hid so many feminine secrets and messages in these songs....
    this song is no example but in many others , especially those presented by the amazing Gila Bashari...they speak about boys and falling in love...
    Gila is an outstanding vocalist..........she's the voice and the orchestra...and these days she's hosting in her house people who come to listen to music while having tradtional Yemenite lunch....she is oh my God......enjoy her voice
    Ploutarxos Gia Panta

bateli777 said:

[k4Fh-UxkYw0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Fh-UxkYw0&feature=relmfu[/video]

same song...but a much powerful performance.....my mom heard it just now...we're overwhelmed a bit .....I'll translate it later tonight...
    Ploutarxos Gia Panta

Ofratko said:

[k4Fh-UxkYw0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Fh-UxkYw0&feature=relmfu[/video]

same song...but a much powerful performance.....my mom heard it just now...we're overwhelmed a bit .....I'll translate it later tonight...
    It is very similar to Arabic music. They tend to sing without music especially at the beginning of the song. But Gila's voice is exceptional! I was almost in tears. One song from Ofra which I hold very dear and have always goosebumps when listening..

Ofratko said:

Dana International made new modern version of the song.. But your Gila is just great in the traditional;