Sheitan

Thread: Sheitan

Tags: kultur shock, old bosnian, sheitan

cestmich said:

Default Sheitan

Hi there, I will try to translate one of new songs of Kultur Shock. I'm not sure, but what I feel is those lyrics are from old folklorical songs of Bosnian Region. Because there are many Turkish(Ottoman) rooted words there. Anyway, Molim pomogajte mene da perevodim ovu pjesmu.

Evo pocinjemo,

Sihire od birvaktile(bir vakit ile in Turkish-literally means for an (old) time) - Magics of old times
    Furije I sihre - Furies and magics(I guess the case of those words i genitive)
    Odvele me ubile me otele me - I have been taken away, killed, robbed
    Sheitan(Satan in arabic, turkish, bosnian lang.) mi je obeco - (I'm not sure about how to translate 'mi je') I have promised on Satan
    pjevacu do zore - I will sing till the dawn
    Evo Sabah Vela havle(Vela havle is used begging god for power to stand for hard things in Muslim Culture) - Here is the Morning vela havle
    Lele dje cu sta cu ja - Lele(?) i will be where i will
    Ahiretu aferim al ja - In purgatory i praise(i guess, i'm not sure, aferim is used for praising in turkish)
    Hocu da me boli - I want to be hurt
    Hocu da se borim - I want to fight
    Da Najnabas budem - To be Najnabas(I don't know what is this, i think it's mithological)
    na butum dunjaluk(misspelled words from Turkish origin, bütün dünyalık is correct one) - Against whole the world
    A onda cu vidit dje cu sta cu ja - And then I will see where i want to see
    Od Dzeneta do Dzehenema - From Heavens to hell
    Zasijala hurija - Houries have seeded
    Fukara I hadzija, insan I bestija - Poors and Pilgrims, Men and Animals(? Beshtija?)
    Halal ima-Ima nam - There are Hallal(Canonically acceptable for Islamic law) things for us
    Od Dzeneta do Dzehenema - From Heavens to Hell
    A ja - But me
    Sudila mi, ranila me - I have been judged, wounded
    Aman vela havle - God give me power
    Umalo me ne ubi - Nearly killed
    Aman vela havle - God give me power
    A Ja - But me,
    Lelelele na obraz mi sve sto. - Lelelele(?) In front of my face everything is(means I can see/understand everything-what is going on)
    Nisam bio-I neka me boli - I was - So let hurt me
    Jer sta ce mi zivot - Because what i will live
    Samo od meraka - Only because of Merak(Curiosity)
    Last edited by cestmich; 07-29-2011 at 02:25 PM.
    il n'y a pas de futur, quoi qu'on en dise "ça vaut mieux que tous les jours passés"

SoyPoliglota said:

I can only help you with the parts I understand

I corrected some of the phrases you have translated.. I do not understant some parts of the song, but I'll try to help..

Sheitan(Satan in arabic, turkish, bosnian lang.) mi je obeco - (I'm not sure about how to translate 'mi je') Satan has promised me
    pjevacu do zore - I will sing till the dawn
    Lele dje cu sta cu ja - Lele(?) where am I gonna go, what am I gonna do
    Hocu da me boli - I want It to hurt
    Hocu da se borim - I want to fight

A onda cu vidit dje cu sta cu ja - And then I’ll figure out where am I gonna go and what am I gonna do
    Zasijala hurija – The hurries have shined (I don’t know exactly what hurija means)
    A ja - But me – It could me And me, depending on the context..
    Sudila mi, ranila me – She has judged me, wounded me
    Umalo me ne ubi - Nearly killed me
    Lelelele na obraz mi sve sto. - Lelelele(?) In front of my face everything is(means I can see/understand everything-what is going on)
    Nisam bio-I neka me boli - I wasn’t - So let it hurt me
    Jer sta ce mi zivot – Because what for do I need life
    Samo od meraka – Just for Merak(Curiosity) , or just because the enjoyment..

Additional explanations:
    Lele – It’s an idiom very hard to translate, people usually use it when they want to express grief.. It could be translated as Oh no, or Oh my God, I really don’t know how to traduce it..
    Bestije – Beasts
    Merak – I think that this could be translated as enjoyment
  3. ina said:

SoyPoliglota and I were translating at same time.. But he/she was faster

Beštija - beast; cruel person; usually it's used for woman = witch, mean woman
    merak = pleasure, not curiosity. Or wish,fad, whimsicality
    lele.. or kuku lele... is an exclamation of surprise but when something bad has happened. Or when you weep over/for sb/sth
    "Lele majko..." = "Oh, mother..."

Furije I sihre - Furies and magics(I guess the case of those words i genitive)
    No, it's not the genitive but the nominative case, as I understood. Furies and magic forces (the subject in the sentence) had been taken him, killed him, kidnapped him... (him - the object, and in the genitive)

Lele dje cu sta cu ja - Lele(?) i will be where i will
    A onda cu vidit dje cu sta cu ja - And then I will see where i want to see
    Oh, where to go, what should I do

Hocu da me boli - I want to be hurt
    Well, I think it's rather: I want that to give me/cause pain

Zasijala hurija - Houries have seeded
    zasijala = shined / became shiny (in the sense - it has reached its maximum)
    but it could be zasijala = zasejala (seeded) - spread feelings or ideas that cause trouble.

Lelelele na obraz mi sve sto nisam bio i neka me boli.
    I think he wanted to say: What I wasn't back then - it will be credited to me ('will be on my honer'), and let it hurt me/ cause me pain (for not succeeding to be what I ought to be)

If translate not just line by line, but all together.
    Last edited by ina; 07-30-2011 at 02:08 PM.

SoyPoliglota said:

Translating line by line is kinda what I did, because I don't understand everything and I just tried to help with the things that I thought were wrong..

Anyway, I think that is rather good that we both helped, it doesn't matter who was faster.

P.S. Jao kako se sjeti toga lele majko, meni je bilo na vrh jezika, ne se sjetit nema sanse!

And it's SHE
  5. ina said:

I don't understand every line either. (Mada nisam mislila na tebe ili pak na nekog posebno, izvini ako sam se pogrešno izrazila.)
    Lele majko (or Majko moja!) is like Madre mia! in Spanish. When troubled, one cries for mom!
    Last edited by ina; 07-30-2011 at 02:54 PM.

SoyPoliglota said:

Nema potrebe da se izvinjavas, nisi se pogresno izrazila, svejedno si u pravu bila
    Madre mia! Ja se ne bih toga sjetila ni da sam trebala ovo na spanski da prevedem, nekad mi se desi da napisem neku glupost jer ne mogu da se sjetim prave rijeci. And then I go crazy!

cestmich said:

Thank you both. All you have written are very useful to me. Bytheway I didn't it mention it clearly, but what i am searching for is, as a man born and living in turkey, from a family bosnian origin and very sensitive for whole the slavic the turkish(ottoman/ancient turk/persian, all the orientalist) roots in slavic folklors and kultur. For example the word Najnabas sounds a very important word to me. Can you figure out what it might be? I think it's something related with Islam and you know what, it might be related even with Superhumanus of Nietzsche, or "you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one"(rip john lennon)
    il n'y a pas de futur, quoi qu'on en dise "ça vaut mieux que tous les jours passés"
  8. ina said:

I really have no idea what could "Najnabaš" mean. Mythology or the Superhumanus of Nietzsche, who knows! There's "Barnabaš", but it could not be related to the lyrics. "Naj" is the prefix which forms the superlative, but "nabaš" again means nothing. Maybe the writer simply invented the word, and maybe "başka" has something to do with it.

Dunjaluk is not misspelled, Bosniaks do say like that.
    Fukara here means ragtag and sometimes bi*ch.
    Fukara I hadzija, insan I bestija. -> a ragtag and a pilgrim, a man and a beast
    (stressing contrast)

Sheitan(Satan in arabic, turkish, bosnian lang.) mi je obeco - (I'm not sure about how to translate 'mi je') I have promised on Satan
    "mi je" -> to me
    Satan has promised me

I believe you live in Izmir, if you came from Balkan.

cestmich said:

Ok, It's really hard to pick one of your words, for replying
    at first, I was born in Bursa, but know I live in Istanbul. Besides that, there are more Balkan origin people in Bursa than in Izmir.
    And for the word Dunjaluk, it's so interesting for one knows Turkish to find a such word. Because, this word, dunjaluk means, world-ly or something like that. As also Bosnians know dunja means world but, different than Bosnian, as an Ural Altaic language, Turkish has some suffixes to make new words in different senses than their origins. And the suffix'luk' makes the sense of belonging. Su(water)luk=What is realtive with water.

But there is an interesting point, this might not a big sense for you but. In Modern Turkish, there is a rule for wovel's, suffixes like luk changes according to wovels of the word, whom they are added. So, the reason for what I said misspelling, is not blaming anyone, it's just different than modern Turkish. And except one exception, in the north side of Turkey, this part is called Karadeniz(Black Sea) Region, and especially in the eastern of Karadeniz, actual dialect is still using such words and suffixes. And it's really interesting for us to see the word Dunjaluk. It gives me many ideas about the past of Turkey and Bosnia and even Karadeniz Region.

And for the word Najnabas, in fact, for your aproximative translation, there is such an idea in Sufi order. This is very possible, cause when the Bosnia was a district of Ottoman Empire, Sufi culture was very popular in the new joining districts. So this song is possibly from the period when Ottoman culture has effection on this area.