The New School (Ryhming tips and P.O.'s How to's)

Thread: The New School (Ryhming tips and P.O.'s How to's)

Tags: None

SK'nDeep said:

Default The New School (Ryhming tips and P.O.'s How to's)

This is something I think would help out the newbie’s that are stuck on the porch, want to play with the Big Dawgs.
    This is not meant to rap on unless it's a short example.4 bars or less.
    Explain in your personal opinion what works for you and how you accomplished perfecting your style,
    and your definition on what these mean using any of these core essentials Using the following....

Metaphors.
    a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance,

Word Play....
    clever or subtle repartee; verbal wit.

Similes....
    a figure of speech in which two unlike things are explicitly compared, as in “she is like a rose.
    an instance of such a figure of speech or a use of words exemplifying it.

Multi-syllable rhymes...
    rhyming with equal syllables timing is Key.

Punch lines...
    the climactic phrase or sentence in a joke, speech, advertisement, or humorous story that produces the desired effect.

Stacking
    Stacking Rhymes and syllable count or with a rhyme that sounds close to the word.
    Peace Love Empathy

Sk'nDeep

Tre_fly said:

Alliterations my man. Using words that start with the same letter or sound. Example: Angry Alligators always attack. Poor example but you get the point. I use alliterations all the time. They help with flow and sounds alot.
    "What we think, we become." Buddha

SK'nDeep said:

good point Tre....
    Peace Love Empathy

Sk'nDeep
  4. _SBU said:

Ohh nice thread. My super secret top tips are Assonance and Consonance.
    They're often the difference between a good line and a great one, which just 'feels' right in terms of sound/flow and aside from it's rhyme scheme. (although forming the essence of rhyme and aliteration also)
    Furthermore they can be used to smooth out the transfer and link seperate syllable clusters when 'switching up' rhymes during a bar or verse, or interweaving a number of co-sustained syllable clusters.

Totally worth researching. the wikis are decent enough.
    check out sibilance too.
  5. _SBU said:

I find ezra pound's classifications to be useful in analysing and directing/focusing my work, balancing the elements I want and the way they effect the listener or reader. each works on quite distinct brain regions.

Melopoeia: sound.. rhythm.. melody.
    Phanopoeia: imagery.. visual (or other sensory impulse)
    Logopoeia: intellect amoung words. wordplay. ideas. concepts.

Zarex said:

Entendres: When a line or phrase has more than one meaning. ex) Cut ya damns hoes arms off, don't try to beat June

Non-sequiturs: Lines that don't really contribute to an overall message, usually used when the song is just a lyrical showboat of sorts.
    Live a good, noble life and pay no attention as to whether gods exist. If they are just, they will judge you for your virtuous life, not your worship.

Tre_fly said:

If you wanna learn how to rap or flow or whatever. You just gotta listen to hip-hop everyday, all day. Thats how I learned. I never googled it or asked anyone for help, I just wrote the ish. You gotta study the rappers though, not just listen. My biggest influences are Charles Hamilton, Nas, OFWGKTA, Kid CuDi, J Cole, and The Doors, who are a older rock group but are crazy dope to me.
    "What we think, we become." Buddha

SK'nDeep said:

You all have great Ideas.
    lyrics are a form of art. A great way to prepare is reading the dictionary and finding useful words to use.
    also, try free styling take baby steps though the more you do it the better you will get.
    emotion is also somthing that works for me. Writing to cope with something you dislike usually helps.
    almost like water boy lol. Use it as your tackling fuel. visualize then attack. J/K
    I hope this stuff will help any of the new people who want to pursue writing or performing rap lyrics.
    Last edited by SK'nDeep; 08-17-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    Peace Love Empathy

Sk'nDeep