Why do you translate for free? What are you thinking about "allthelyrics.com"?

Thread: Why do you translate for free? What are you thinking about "allthelyrics.com"?

Tags: None

Amethystos said:

Question Why do you translate for free? What are you thinking about "allthelyrics.com"?

I always wanted to know why people translate something for free...
    What they're thinking about the whole allthelyrics idea.
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

LoOlya said:

It's about helping people as we practice our English by translating
    So, we're helping as much as we're getting help
    Syria ♥
    لّا إِلَهَ إِلاَّ أَنتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ
    Suriyeli damarımda Türk kanı akıyor.

Mixalopoulos said:

Quote Originally Posted by Amethystos View Post
    I always wanted to know why people translate something for free...
    What they're thinking about the whole allthelyrics idea.
    The same as why I help people find songs that they really want to listen to, or just can't find.

If I can make someone happy with just a little effort on my part, then it makes me happy.

Money isn't everything.
    Ρεμπέτικο για πάντα. Μάγκες είμαστε.

4. safe1 said:

For the same reason that parents raise their kids for free.
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.
    Stunning feeling...to just meet them.

5. Sade said:

help people out, improve my Turkish and English, find new songs, fun distraction

BleakHeart said:

My reasons:
    1) I like helping people, just like other people help me from time to time, even if they're unaware of that.
    2) I like the songs I translate. It's important being fond of what you do, either it is a hobby or a job.
    3) I like the linguistic interactions with other people, especially with interesting set of lyrics, full of symbolisms (Lina Nikolakopoulou anyone? )

I wish I had more time though.
    "I have fear for nothing and I have hope for nothing, I am, therefore, free."

Nikos Kazantzakis

amaryn said:

in Abu Dhabi helping a person alive across the street feels as daring and exciting as translating a medieval Danish popsong for Ligeia
    - do it if you dare, not for money-
    in Istanbul helping a person to find his/her way out of a soukh asks for a lot of scrutinizing and skill
    - do it if you dare, no money involved -
    in Forum helping a friend or a guest with a translation -not asking for money -
    - answering a challenge that's it

8. Kenax said:

It's because I like sharing songs with others. I'm feeling good with other people understand what they are singing. For some reason it have turned into a hoppy of mine to translate. I've spent entire days translating. And the bonus is that my english is beeing improved.

9. Panayotaki said:

Quote Originally Posted by Kenax View Post
    It's because I like sharing songs with others. I'm feeling good with other people understand what they are singing. For some reason it have turned into a hoppy of mine to translate. I've spent entire days translating. And the bonus is that my english is beeing improved.

I grew up in Gerakas Attikis. Although I never went to Greek schools (American Community Schools of Athens), I have always found some sort of satisfaction in helping others understand Greek as much as I could. I only have had a few opportunities to do this, the most being in South Korea when I worked for LG electronics. I had some friends that were ministers (Presbyterian, Episcopalian) and they were so interested in learning modern Greek. It makes one feel good to give...doesn't it? :-)

Once I met a guy in the Navy who's name was Larry. I told him that the Greek name "Elefteria" - and maybe "Lefteri" meant "Freedom". He was from Georgia originally and his great great grandparents were slaves. He was so thrilled to know this, that he remembered me when it came time for assignments and my next duty station was set for Hawaii. :-)

I haven't had the opportunity to help anyone on the internet like you guys have, but every little bit helps.

God bless all of you for helping others with Greek, it really does help.

-Panos

Seireina said:

I don't know why. I guess because I can?