Quick Arabic Pronunciation Question :)

Thread: Quick Arabic Pronunciation Question :)

Tags: None
  1. xXalanaXx said:

Default Quick Arabic Pronunciation Question :)

I've noticed that there are some words with double consonants, like

shadda
    tasharrafna

How would you pronounce the double consonants?
    I know with double vowels you just drag them out, do you do the same with consonants?

Shoukran =)

2. mvnr1 said:

pronounce it as if it was 2 words, for example pronounce tasharrafna as tashar rafna, in English it's the sound of the M in from more but much stronger than in English

3. xXalanaXx said:

Thank you so much! Also I was wondering how you would pronounce a hamza that's at the beginning of a word, like in "salam 'alaykum"

4. CZAREK2581 said:

Quote Originally Posted by xXalanaXx View Post
    Thank you so much! Also I was wondering how you would pronounce a hamza that's at the beginning of a word, like in "salam 'alaykum"

it is not hamza it is letter ع
    3ayn

5. xXalanaXx said:

oh ok, I didn't know. thank you for telling me

is there ever a hamza at the beginning of a letter?

al_habibi said:

Hamza is just a glottal stop. Its never in the beginning by itself. It is either resting on the alif either down giving a "e" sound or sits up giving a "a" sound in the beginning especially with the names staarting from "a" or "I" .

Corrections are invited(i m still a novice)

7. xXalanaXx said:

Quote Originally Posted by al_habibi View Post
    Hamza is just a glottal stop. Its never in the beginning by itself. It is either resting on the alif either down giving a "e" sound or sits up giving a "a" sound in the beginning especially with the names staarting from "a" or "I" .

Corrections are invited(i m still a novice)
    I know that it sits on an alif at the beginning of a sentence because alif can never be at the beginning, so does that mean that the hamza doesn't really change the sounds of those words?

I just started learning Arabic, and I want to be pronouncing the words in class as best as I can

8. mvnr1 said:

@ xXalanaXx

what do u mean by does that mean that the hamza doesn't really change the sounds of those words?