Un amour fatal
    Comme les fleurs du mal

What do these verses mean?
    Et les fleurs du mal
    Les fleurs du mal unfold
    Comme les fleurs du mal
    Les fleurs du mal inside
    Pour les fleurs du mal

Is the French collection of poems 'Ces fleurs maladives' aka 'These morbid flowers' the source of above indigo colored verses?
    http://fleursdumal.org/
    Last edited by Sanmayce; 10-23-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Get down get down get down get it on show love and give it up
    What are you waiting on?

bluejacket said:

Hi,
    Et les fleurs du mal --- And the Flowers of Evil
    Les fleurs du mal unfold - The Flowers of Evil unfold (open; reveal themselves)
    Comme les fleurs du mal -- Like the 'Flowers of Evil' (Just like: resemble)
    Les fleurs du mal inside -- The Flowers of Evil inside [me] - i.e the passion inside
    Pour les fleurs du mal - For the Flowers of Evil (Because of the flowers of evil; because of this passion.

The phrase is a reference to Les Fleurs du Mal - a volume of poetry by Charles Baudelaire in 1858. It an exploration of eroticism and decadence, through the eyes of one man - his Odysseus - an idle man-about-town, in a 24 hour period. The work was condemned by some as an assault on public morals. Parts of the work were banned in France until 1949.
    Les fleurs du mal 'the flowers of evil' can be translated a sexual depravity - the meaning of 'fleur du mal' in the song I would assume is a poetic expression of eroticism; powerful, forbidden, deeply alluring, illuminating our darkest corners. The phrase almost has almost gothic overtones: as one of the forbidden passages in 'Les Fleurs du Mal' is called 'The Metamorphosis of a Vampire'. It's a deep and complex cycle of poems, and 'Les Fleurs du Mal' seeks to acknowledge eroticism as part of life (which very loosely indeed), is one part of Baudelaire's exploration what it is to be human, both intellectually and emotionally as well as physically and spiritually .

This might help: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...-Fleurs-du-mal

'This perfume of pain.' seems to be a direct reference to his poem 'exotic perfume'

See here for site dedicated to the work: http://fleursdumal.org/

Perhaps Baudelaire himself is the best one to explain: 'Les Fleurs du Mal' begins with 'Epigraph for a condemned book'

Peaceful and bucolic reader,
    Sober and naive gentleman,
    Throw away this book,
    Saturnian, orgiastic, and melancholy.

If you haven't studied rhetoric
    With Satan, that cunning professor,
    Throw it away! You won't understand anything
    Or you will think I am hysterical.

But if, without allowing itself to be charmed,
    Your eye knows how to plumb the depths,
    Read me, and learn to love me;

Curious soul who suffers
    And goes about seeking your paradise,
    Pity me! ... Otherwise, I curse you!
    Last edited by bluejacket; 10-26-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Sanmayce said:

Hi,
    very informative, thanks again.
    Surely I will read all the poems (126?), I like sensitive people who dare to step in dangerous areas even if they are a dominion of Satan himself (ha-ha, I realized that I don't know how to address a fallen angel - not having a gender maybe it should be 'itself').

I myself have some critic attitude already, I find not well-said (maybe lost in the translation):
    With Satan, that cunning professor,
    It is a strong fact: Satan is THE cunningiest professor of all.
    The verses you gave remind me for an song from B.Traven's 'The Death Ship' book, except the 'I curse you!' - this adds some bad/wrong attitude which I dislike.

Anyway the poet has not to be evaluated.
    The thing which interests me a lot is the 'Flowers of Evil' - a too harsh choice in my view. Please tell me whether I am right here (haven't read yet the poems i.e. not knowing the contexts):
    Are these variants plausible?: 'Tormented Flowers', 'Tainted Flowers', 'Ill Flowers', 'Flowers of Illness', 'Gloomy Flowers', 'Sick Flowers' in addition to author's 'These morbid flowers' choice.
    I ask because I feel such a theme (entering the dark realms of human nature) very serious, in my opinion 'Evil' is not appropriate, I think the accent is on being sick not evil, that is, touched by evil but not evil in itself. This is as calling a fallen man a bad man, which I dislike wildly. Or as if calling the Hugo's Les Miserables 'The Bad Ones'. I am aware of ancient (and for some still contemporary) beliefs that illness is caused by evil spirits regardless of microorganisms being revealed.

Let us see what SOED holds:
    morbid, adjective.

[Latin morbidus, from morbus disease: see -ID1.]

1. Of the nature of or indicative of disease; affected by disease, unhealthy. Formerly also, productive of disease. M17.
    morbid anatomy the anatomy of diseased organs and tissues.

2. Of a mental state, an idea, etc.: unwholesome, sickly; marked by exaggerated or inappropriate feelings of gloom, apprehension, or suspicion. Of a person: given to morbid feelings or fancies.

Glad I am having your explanations.