New wave/80s song I have been trying to ID for decades. Really.

Thread: New wave/80s song I have been trying to ID for decades. Really.

Tags: 80s, alternative, mystery song, new wave
  1. boxocereal said:

Question New wave/80s song I have been trying to ID for decades. Really.

Instead of my internal obsession about finding and hearing this song again, I decided to throw it out there to see if anyone can help. It is rather obscure, and my info is limited.

So there is a song that likely came out in the mid to late 80s. It was "new wave"/alternative at the time. Male vocals. Uptempo. I loved it, then forgot about it, but here and there, it would come to mind, but I didn't really remember it at all. Probably 5 years ago, when Starbucks was in its new wave/retro music theme, I heard it there, but was in a meeting and couldn't stop to squeal, run to the register and ask what was playing. I am still kicking myself.

What I remember is that it had the word "benefit" or "benefitting" or something in the lyrics... maybe in the chorus. I wrote that down as I was in the meeting. (I emailed Starbucks HQ a few days later to see if they could figure it out, but no dice.)

I feel like that is so random, I am just making it up. But I obsessively look at new wave/80s compliations with the hope of finding the song. If I were to hear even 10 seconds of it, I would know it. So, if in the off chance there are any other new wave lovers out there, just throwing out a project. (For what it is worth, it would have likely played on San Francisco's Live 105 when it came out, but wasn't mainstream beyond that.)

Thanks!!

2. Claybricks said:

Quote Originally Posted by boxocereal View Post
    Instead of my internal obsession about finding and hearing this song again, I decided to throw it out there to see if anyone can help. It is rather obscure, and my info is limited.

So there is a song that likely came out in the mid to late 80s. It was "new wave"/alternative at the time. Male vocals. Uptempo. I loved it, then forgot about it, but here and there, it would come to mind, but I didn't really remember it at all. Probably 5 years ago, when Starbucks was in its new wave/retro music theme, I heard it there, but was in a meeting and couldn't stop to squeal, run to the register and ask what was playing. I am still kicking myself.

What I remember is that it had the word "benefit" or "benefitting" or something in the lyrics... maybe in the chorus. I wrote that down as I was in the meeting. (I emailed Starbucks HQ a few days later to see if they could figure it out, but no dice.)

I feel like that is so random, I am just making it up. But I obsessively look at new wave/80s compliations with the hope of finding the song. If I were to hear even 10 seconds of it, I would know it. So, if in the off chance there are any other new wave lovers out there, just throwing out a project. (For what it is worth, it would have likely played on San Francisco's Live 105 when it came out, but wasn't mainstream beyond that.)

Thanks!!
    ??

The Crystal Set - Benefit Of The Doubt {1986}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrLGgYMw9jg

Dan

3. boxocereal said:

Default Oh, how I wish that were it...

I don't think the word "benefit" is in the title... or I swear I would have stumbled upon it by now. It was a bit more upbeat than that. I really appreciate you trying!!