Yiorgos Dalaras - To pepromeno

Thread: Yiorgos Dalaras - To pepromeno

Tags: None
  1. safe1 said:

Default Yiorgos Dalaras - To pepromeno

I searched for this one but couldn't find it...So I did a favor to myself adding it...
    ...and to ATL i hope...

Yiorgos Dalaras - To pepromeno / George Dalaras - the Destiny

Στο πεπρωμένο σου να δίνεις σημασία / Always mind your destiny,
    και να προσέχεις πώς βαδίζεις στη ζωή / and be careful with your way of life,
    όταν κοιμάσαι άλλος γράφει ιστορία / someone's writing history while you are asleep,
    και κάποιος παίζει τη δική σου τη ζωή / and someone's gambling with your own life.

Όλοι έχουμε γραμμένο που το λένε πεπρωμένο / We all have a future (a karma), which is called "destiny",
    και κανένας δεν μπορεί να τ' αποφύγει / and nobody can avoid it...
    δεν υπάρχει θεωρία ούτε τρένα ούτε πλοία / there's no theory, neither trains or ships... *
    κι ο καθένας το παλεύει όπως ξέρει και μπορεί / and everyone fights for their life the way they know and the way they can.
    από παιδί στον ύπνο μου έβλεπα φωτιές / I was dreaming of fires, since I was a kid.

Για την αγάπη όσα κι αν δίνεις είναι λίγα / What you give for love is never enough,
    και να το ξέρεις πως δεν έχει ανταμοιβή / and know that there is no reward for it,
    δώστα και φύγε και μη χάνεις ευκαιρία / just give it and go and, don't spend your chances,
    στο περιθώριο μη βάζεις την ψυχή / don't put your soul aside.

Όλοι έχουμε γραμμένο που το λένε πεπρωμένο / We all have a future (a karma), which is called "destiny",
    και κανένας δεν μπορεί να τ' αποφύγει / and nobody can avoid it...
    δεν υπάρχει θεωρία ούτε τρένα ούτε πλοία / there's no theory, neither trains or ships... *
    κι ο καθένας το παλεύει όπως ξέρει και μπορεί / and everyone fights for their life the way they know and the way they can.
    από παιδί στον ύπνο μου έβλεπα φωτιές / I was dreaming of fires, since I was a kid.

* Greek expression. Means something like: "....there is no rule to this, just life experience..."

(other translations are due...)
    Last edited by safe1; 11-06-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Replaced third party videoclip with mine. Corrected lines 3,4,8.
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.
    Stunning feeling...to just meet them.

greeksc said:

Πολυ ωραιο Sotiris

3. safe1 said:

Taso, this song is included in the soundtrack of a very successful Greek TV series (appeared on the Greek TV many years ago) which was inspired and based on a novel. (And if i'm not mistaken it was written specifically for that TV series)
    That novel is called "Red Dyed Hair" (Βαμμένα κόκκινα μαλλιά) and is translated into English. You can easily find the book in Amazon (the writer is "Kostas Mourselas")...

The book is really worth it. I'd strongly recommend it. It's one of a kind.
    Watching the TV series was a great experience, a revelation I'd say, as it was transferred very well...

The song is nothing but an infinitely small synopsis of what that book is about... Main character: "ο Λούης" (sounds like: "Louis" ).

It's based on a true story... Louis' life story. (Although the names used in the novel are fictional.)
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.
    Stunning feeling...to just meet them.

greeksc said:

I will find it on Amazon and order it for sure!

5. Greek_music_fan said:

Sorry that I am writing in a old topic but I was wondering if somebody could provide me with a transliteration of this extremely beautiful and meaningful song?Thanks!

kmmy said:

sto pepromeno sou na dineis simasia
    kai na proseheis pos vadizeis sti zoi
    otan koimasai allos grafei istoria
    kai kapoios paizei ti diki sou ti zoi

oloi ehoume grammeno pou to lene pepromeno
    kai kanenas den mporei na t' apofigei
    den iparhei theoria oute trena oute ploia
    ki o kathenas to palevei opos kserei kai mporei
    apo paidi ston ipno mou evlepa foties

gia tin agapi osa ki an dineis einai liga
    kai na to ksereis pos den ehei antamoivi
    dosta kai fige kai mi haneis evkairia
    sto perithorio mi vazeis tin psihi

oloi ehoume grammeno pou to lene pepromeno
    kai kanenas den mporei na t' apofigei
    den iparhei theoria oute trena oute ploia
    ki o kathenas to palevei opos kserei kai mporei
    apo paidi ston ipno mou evlepa foties

Disconnected said:

Yiorgos Dalaras ( or George Dalaras , his first name translated in English ) was born September 29, 1949, in Piraeus, Greece (Piraeus is the port of Athens, once considered a separate town from Athens, up to 50's, but now indistinguishable due to the growth of the Greek capital which led to the merge of the nearby populated areas including Piraeus port).

His real last name is Daralas which was anagrammatized to Dalaras. His father was a singer too.

George Dalaras was mistaken by many people to be a Cypriot which is not true of course. I guess this came up because of his support to the people of Cyprus.

There are rumors (often with a strong base) that George Dalaras was singing for many years for free (with no profit) in small concerts...
    I never investigated and confirmed this, but one thing is for sure...George Dalaras was and is one of the kindest and friendliest greek artists, something that strongly resembles the character and attitude of Mark Knopfler, although George cannot reach Mark's scale and popularity outside the borders.
    Don't pull the friggin' plug .... :/

Amethystos said:

Quote Originally Posted by Disconnected View Post
    but one thing is for sure...George Dalaras was and is one of the kindest and friendliest greek artists, something that strongly resembles the character and attitude of Mark Knopfler, although George cannot reach Mark's scale and popularity outside the borders.
    No Greek may ever claim that Dalaras hasn't been gifted with a great voice.
    And since I've never met him in private, I can't speak about his kindness neither about his reliability as a friend.

But I can surely say that I know TOO MANY Greeks that they would never wanted to be even in the same room with this man.

Yes Dalaras reached the top of the Laika singers by being a devoted - hard working professional.
    But his luck of wisdom allowed him to state some provoking quotes, and such a behavior isn't the right one for an artist of his bio.
    (Actually, I can't think of a successful Greek artist who based his career on being provocative)

Finally to my eyes he is a strongly unlikable individual.
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

Disconnected said:

TOO MANY Greeks cannot be in the same room with Dalaras but they can perfectly be in the same country with PASOK and ND...
    Not surprised though...Theodoros Kolokotronis was put in jail by Greeks and Ioannis Kapodistrias was murdered by Greeks as well...

Amethystos said:

TOO MANY Greeks cannot be in the same room with Dalaras but they can perfectly be in the same country with PASOK and ND...
    [G_P_3zueRQQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_P_3zueRQQ[/video]

Unfortunately Greeks still vote for these parties, it's sad but true.
    Dalaras also knows this, he's even married to an ex-minister of Pasok....

Not surprised though...Theodoros Kolokotronis was put in jail by Greeks and Ioannis Kapodistrias was murdered by Greeks as well...
    When in times of trouble, wise people know that we need to stay together and keep focused!
    That's what Dalaras says in the above vid but SURELY with a much different meaning!!!!

Disconnected said:

Make no mistake. All the lights and the focus will be on...But , we need to know where we're heading to..
    otherwise -> **** it.

Still, I can say to you one thing: in Europe, there is no other country like Greece. And even the Mediterranean countries know it and are jealous of it.
    Go figure what is happening in Central and North Europe (because I KNOW while you all DONT know...)

EDIT: at your video clip, Dalaras said what his heart had to say, and, at the end said what the "channel" wanted him to say.
    Otherwise, you would never see that interview.

Amethystos said:

Make no mistake. All the lights and the focus will be on...But , we need to know where we're heading to..
    otherwise -> **** it.
    I can't predict the time that a pure Greek and great politician will arise.

Still, I can say to you one thing: in Europe, there is no other country like Greece. And even the Mediterranean countries know it and are jealous of it.
    Go figure what is happening in Central and North Europe (because I KNOW while you all DONT know...)
    Every country has it's own character. Nostalgia makes you talk like you did.

EDIT: at your video clip, Dalaras said what his heart had to say, and, at the end said what the "channel" wanted him to say.
    Otherwise, you would never see that interview.

It was a live interview. Dalaras a couple of hours later tried to cover this part by giving a radio interview.
    That's why I call him a person who lucks wisdom......
    cause when someone reaches his sixties he has to double check his thoughts before speak them out.