Punk/Emo/Screamo

Thread: Punk/Emo/Screamo

Tags: None

fattytrav51 said:

Emos annoy me. Technically what people call "emo" music is really just a kind of pop rock. Emo stands for "emotive" rock, started in the 80's. Someone just thought that emo stood for emotional rock and the genre was started. As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with Fortunate Son in the fact that grunge has evolved somewhat into "emo". It bothers me because I am a big nirvana fan and even live in one of the birthplaces of grunge.(Aberdeen/Hoquiam, WA. where Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic grew up. Visit sometime, there are all kinds of memorials and places where they left their mark.) But never the less, I think it's true. I dislike emo because it has evolved into a lifestyle in which people just practice self-loathing and self-pity. This just bothers me because all these people do is b-i-t-c-h and moan about how hard their lives are, although most of them have no idea. I would have no problem with the music if i didn't have to see skinny guys in make-up and girl jeans practicing their "angst" faces.
    Last edited by fattytrav51; 09-23-2006 at 02:04 PM.
  2. populace-in-two said:

Ok. What fattytrav51 & Botulism Said, is the Correct Meaning Of "Emo" .. It Is Short For Emotive Rock .. Not Emotional .. MTV Has ruined people's brains, portraying that Emo is short For Emotional. Come on, Every band has Emotional Songs .. if you say that, then you might as well say that Pop-tart Paris Hilton is 'Emo'.. Emotive, is music that formed around the 80's, & one band most widely used as an example is Rites Of Spring. It doesn't have Anything to do with Style for the most part. Panic! at the Disco, & Fallout boy, Are NOT Emo.

PS. People who cut their wrists, & act Depressed, are not 'Emo'*
  3. Botulism said:

For such an obvious fan of FFtL I'm surprised.
    You people aren't usually so educated in such things.

It's good though.
    Like me.
    Two of my favourite bands are I Hate Myself (emotive hardcore) and From First to Last (post hardcore).

BECCA said:

calling someone emo.
    is just stupidd.
    basically its called "stereo-typing"
    &that maybe you dont have a life.
    ~LIVE * UR * LIFE * I'LL * LIVE * MINE~
  5. roflohnoez said:

Quote Originally Posted by BECCA
    calling someone emo.
    is just stupidd.
    basically its called "stereo-typing"
    &that maybe you dont have a life.

These days you cannot go without stereotyping somebody/something. It's just so much easier to use a label than to explain what you're trying to say. The English language is one of the weirdest out there. If you think about it, all other languages have multiple ways of describing something. We don't have that luxury, if my knowledge is correct.

I'm not justifying it, or at least not trying to. But it's going to happen. LIke it, hate it, but you have to tolerate it.
    -
    I don't have a life.
    "Don't sit behind a computer in bum f_uck Egypt and talk s_hit." Jon Schaffer, Iced Earth.

rewind said:

Quote Originally Posted by Deathklaat62
    Are you trying to classify all music under the same roof here? What are you ****in stupid kid? Emo is bands like "My Chemical Romance" and other punk wanna be's. It's always meant that, and anyone who isn't interested in those bands knows that. People hate emo because the vocal talent is not there, in fact, vocally, emo bands are so bad, they have formed a genre called screamo. "The Used" is a common band among screamo.

emo indeed stands for emotional music, but when the term was created, it wasn't meant to stand for all music, other wise, we wouldn't use the word music, we'd say "Hey man, let's listen to some emomusic" the word music would be a compound word with emo. emomusic. So, really, you're a ****ing idiot. Considering, all music conveys some kind of emotion, whether the write pours emotion into the piece, or whethere the listener draws emotion from it.

Your point is not valid at all. If there was no such thing as emo, the word would not exist! Which it does, and that's what it means. Most people would associate, emo with being suicidal, slitting wrists, trying to be goth. Now, emo's, aren't goth. Goth isn't comparable to emo. Emo's are confused teens, plain and simple. Emos dont know what "Satanic" is, they don't know what an Inverted Cross is either. They just want to feel in the cult of wearing black and acting suicidal, they also seem to have their own hairstyle.. I don't know about you, but everyone around the world classifys this group as EMO.

Emo in fact would be considered a trend. Hairstyles and clothing that are unique to a population of people.. a Trend. a Style. You sure as **** can't call the style goth.

lololol, my post was more of a joke than anything. because honestly, everyone does deny being emo.

also, don't tell me about emo when you think my chemical romance is an emo band, thanks. read botulism's posts.

people are so ****ing confused as to what emo means anymore. scene kids get called emo all the time. goth kids get called emo all the time. emo kids are called goth, scene, and even hardcore kids get mistaken. the reason being they all kind of look like big fags..whatever.

emo is all a big joke, really. if someone cries about anything, like their dog died or something people will be like "haha, you're emo!" it's just stupid.
    Last edited by rewind; 10-22-2006 at 11:15 AM.
  7. aidenfreak13 said:

ppl r just wierd and thts aboutit
  8. pudin said:

theyre not weird.They want to be.
  9. x-fallenxangel-x said:

Wink ' I l♥ve EM0 '

Quote Originally Posted by populace-in-two View Post
    Ok. What fattytrav51 & Botulism Said, is the Correct Meaning Of "Emo" .. It Is Short For Emotive Rock .. Not Emotional .. MTV Has ruined people's brains, portraying that Emo is short For Emotional. Come on, Every band has Emotional Songs .. if you say that, then you might as well say that Pop-tart Paris Hilton is 'Emo'.. Emotive, is music that formed around the 80's, & one band most widely used as an example is Rites Of Spring. It doesn't have Anything to do with Style for the most part. Panic! at the Disco, & Fallout boy, Are NOT Emo.

PS. People who cut their wrists, & act Depressed, are not 'Emo'*
    I totally agree with you

Mibso said:

Well my fave Punk/emo/screamo bands r:
    The Straight Line(emo)
    The Used(screamo)
    Scary Kids Scaring Kids (screamo)
    Blink 182 (punk)
    and more.

Mibso said:

Exclamation Any REAL EMO bands?

any1 got any REAL Emo bands? and by emo i mean emo. not pop or anythin like that :P so give me any and no MCR!

Mibso said:

Cool Thanks dude

Appreciate it.

Mibso said:

Found a good one; check out Mineral

Also, what is a good song by 'I Hate Myself'?

Mibso said:

i guess people can do wat they want u kno, its wat they wanna do with there life.. they wanna do wateva they want.. and not all of them cut themselves u kno... only rly depressed people who like pain do that...

and panic! are not emo neither r fallout boy and a lot of others.. mineral are emo... rites of spring are emo.. get it right...
  15. everlast said:

I did not realize it had been around for so long I thought EMO was a phenomena from the last 3 years or so or at least I had not heard or seen anything about it must have just got popular I guess.
  16. The-cute-red-hat said:

Talking

Noppers. i'm emo peoples ! Hacve anything to say say it to me! And I'll give you something to talk about. yes there's good emo bands. And for wanta be emo...get a life. A happy one.
  17. lakid310 said:

its one of those terms that does not have a definite definition.
  18. socialcrawl said:

saves the day
    dashboard
    yellowcard
    muse
  19. tralala123 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Mibso View Post
    Also, what is a good song by 'I Hate Myself'?
    like every song by them!!
    best emo band out there
    for songs i guess try
    to a husband at war
    drama in the emergency room
    and
    less than nothing

Jester said:

Quote Originally Posted by Mibso View Post
    Found a good one; check out Mineral
    I'll save this for the other people - I'm into thrash metal