Search limited to 10 letters

Thread: Search limited to 10 letters

Tags: None
  1. Ora said:

Question Search limited to 10 letters

It seems that you can't search words longer than 10 letters.
    It's a bit annoying when some bands have names longer than that (and sometimes song names too)

I understand that words to short or to common can't be searched (a search for "the" "my" "or" etc. would be a bit silly), but I'm not sure there's a point in blocking words at 10 characters

Would it be possible to inscrease a bit this limit? (to 20 maybe? I admit I'm not sure what could be a good limit...)

(In my case: I wanted to find all songs by the Finnish band Kotiteollisuus. It took me some time to understand that the search refused the band name because it was 15 letters long. This band has several one-word-longuer-than-10-letter song names too, that are impossible to search. This is just an example, I saw quite a few long names on Finnish and German translation forums, and probably in other languages too. But maybe I'm the only one to use the search function for that )
    - Not an hour nor a thorn. -

Tania ATL said:

But maybe I'm the only one to use the search function for that
    Well, you're the first to complain

Limit increased to 25, let's see... if it works - ok, otherwise - write here. Changes will be seen after re-indexing search database, which may take several hours.

3. Ora said:

Wow, that was quick, thanks a lot!

I did a random test with a song title I found on the german forum ( Lebensabschnittspartner - 24 letters) and it seems to work fine.

Long words are not *so* common so that's probably why no one stumbled on the problem, I guess ^^"

Thanks again!
    - Not an hour nor a thorn. -

Tania ATL said:

Thank you for pointing out the bottleneck, actually I've never thought about that limit before, and indeed it should be much more than 10 on a forum like ours. I hope, 25'd be enough...