Can you help me understand this picture?

Thread: Can you help me understand this picture?

Tags: None
  1. noura123 said:

Talking Can you help me understand this picture?

Hi,
    Can you please help me understand this picture what it means?
    Thanks.
    Attached Images

Maviii said:

The most beautiful things doesn't need money

friends
    smile
    sleeping
    family
    Containment
    good memories
    laughing
    love

Frankie Jasmine said:

Dearest Maviii . . . would the fifth one be "Contentment"? . . .

Maviii said:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    Dearest Maviii . . . would the fifth one be "Contentment"? . . .
    No dear its written in Arabic as Containment = الإحتواء
    but it also means '' hold '' govern

its more close to hold
    holding the things we value

Frankie Jasmine said:

AAAAaaaahhhh! So would it be like treasuring (holding onto dearly) valuable things like principles? I certainly can think of no other single word in English--a single word that exactly represents both (1) "treasuring" things which (2) "govern us" from within (intangibles). . . . Am I getting the sense of the Arabic word better now, or not??

Even the single word "Principles" does not include the quality of "holding to" or "cherishing." Thank you very much for setting me straight and helping me to understand!

What continues to amaze me is how one language can have a single word that means so much . . . but it often cannot be translated as a single word into another language with the full meaning. For example, the German word "Gemuetlichkeit" into English takes a lot of explanation to convey the meaning of one German word!
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 04-17-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Maviii said:

I wish if i find the right exact meaning for that arabic word in english
    but it is as u mentioned something has to do with '' holding dear or cherishing ''

in arabic that word has deep meaning / but my English doesnt help me with deep vocabulary

Frankie Jasmine said:

This morning I was listening to a prayer in song when I woke up (on CD). A certain word in English actually woke me up, because of our discussion here! That word was: "Self-Control," which is a modern English translation from the Old Hebrew and Koine Greek languages. According to scripture "Self-Control" is a person's complete behavior controlled from within by God's law.

"Self-Control" probably cannot encompass all that the Arabic implies/means . . . but is it in any way close to that meaning?

I researched it scripturally, and this is what I found:

Self-Control: Keeping in check, restraining, or controlling one’s person, actions, speech, or thoughts. The Hebrew and Greek terms involving self-control literally denote having power or control over oneself.

What do you think, Maviii? . . . (Or anyone else who wishes to participate)?

_ _ _ _ _

P.S. I don't mean to be a pest. But this was sort of a "waking-up revelation," hearing that word! So I wanted to ask . . . in case this delivers a proper meaning in English from the Arabic--or not? (Scripturally there is more meaning to "Self-Control" than the word in general implies, because of its Eastern/Mid-Eastern language roots.)

Maviii said:

Well frankie it has nothing to do with controlling exactly

i'll give you an example so that word become more clear as long am lack of any information to find it in English

Containment = الإحتواء

well a glass of water is a container right ?? which contains water so the water is inside that glass
    when i contain someone it means i fill myself with that person needs/ contain that person with his all sum
    i hold that person inside me as i am the glass of that cup of water

i contain someone / when i feel to be so attached to that person so i contain him/her with his/her all traits

hope i give sense and doesn't distract you with my example

Frankie Jasmine said:

Not at all, Maviii! It is a beautiful thought . . . and not what I was understanding previously at all! I love this idea! Can you tell me how to say this Arabic word in English?? Because I want to remember it.

Thank you so much. I was lacking in understanding. And still I'm lacking, because you said the meaning is very deep in Arabic. I think I love this word!! Is it used only between those in love?? Or can a mother feel this for a child? Can a friend feel this for another friend? My immediate reaction is "in love" . . . but you never mention that in your description. Oh, how I wish English had such a fine word!!!

Thank you for your efforts. I love to learn new things, especially the differences between languages--it helps shape who we are as people, don't you think??

Although at times, I may seem the "all-American" person in my personality . . . very often I feel very, very differently from the people around me. I feel things so deeply, take things seriously (although I like to laugh also!), care so much about humanity in general, and have such passion for so many things and people, and struggle with strong feelings . . . that I sometime think I must belong to another place on this earth, rather than here. (Do you understand what I mean?) That is why I am so drawn to Eastern (Turkish; some Arabic; Hebrew; Russian, etc.) music--I cannot understand the words, but the FEELING from the music speaks what my heart feels. And many people around me in "real life" do not "get it". ???

10. noura123 said:

THanks sooooo much Mavaiiii !