Dimitris Mitropanos passed away, RIP

Thread: Dimitris Mitropanos passed away, RIP

Tags: None

BleakHeart said:

Default Dimitris Mitropanos passed away, RIP

One of the greatest singers of traditional folk music in Greece passed away yesterday, due to health problems. The greek music scene is poorer. Much poorer.

Singer Dimitris Mitropanos, 64, dies

Singer Dimitris Mitropanos died in an Athens hospital on Tuesday, the Athens-Macedonia News Agency reported, after suffering pulmonary edema caused by a heart attack.

He was 64.
    Mitropanos was considered one of the foremost interpreters of Greek rebetika and popular folk music, known for his smooth vocals and dignified delivery.
    He was born on April 2, 1948, in a village outside Trikala in Thessaly, and began working as a singer after moving to Athens in 1964.

He sang alongside rebetika masters Grigoris Bithikotsis and Giorgos Zampetas, and later worked with internationally acclaimed Greek artists such as Mikis Theodorakis, Manos Hadjidakis and Stavros Xarchakos.

More recently, Mitropanos sang with a number of well-known younger acts, and continued to perform live to packed houses all over Greece.
    In 2010 he did a tour of the United States, playing to a near-capacity crowd at the Radio City Music Hall in New York in July of that year.
    http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w...04/2012_437966

[5HnZND-udkE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HnZND-udkE[/video]

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWKEltZAU8U
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpoLvi_GQYA
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNbmSP-SDFU
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTAhdisuP-M
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfz_zDrDYAA
    "I have fear for nothing and I have hope for nothing, I am, therefore, free."

Nikos Kazantzakis

Amethystos said:

Default You're so right!

Mixa has already started the conversation yesterday here -> http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/le...tml#post946959
    But I think that you've done the right thing by opening a new thread reffering to his death!

Ps. I still hate the use of "RIP" acronym for all Greeks and much more according Mitropanos....
    The only word for him is "ΑΞΙΟΣ"
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

Amethystos said:

Miki Theodorakis' statement:

"Πριν λίγες ημέρες συζητούσαμε για τη συναυλία που θα έδινε στο Ηρώδειο με τον «Επιτάφιο» και το «Άξιον Εστί».
    Ήμουν υπερήφανος για αυτόν. Τον εκτιμούσα και τον αγαπούσα πολύ. Η απώλεια του με συγκλονίζει
    "

"Some days ago, we were talking about the Herodes Atticus Theatre's concert of "Epitafios" and "Axion Esti" works.
    I was proud of him. Appriciated and greatly loved him. His loss is a shock to me"

Amethystos said:

Default Thano Mikroutsikos remembers

«Είχαμε δουλέψει στο σπίτι μου πολλούς μήνες για να έρθει κοντά στον τρόπο τον δικό μου», ανασύρει από τη μνήμη ο Θάνος Μικρούτσικος.
    «Επειτα ερχόταν κάθε μέρα στο στούντιο. Ηθελε να μάθει τον τρόπο που ζουν οι συλλαβές στο στόμα μου. Οταν ολοκληρώθηκε το μουσικό μέρος, στάθηκε μπροστά στο μικρόφωνο. Την πρώτη μέρα, τζίφος. Τη δεύτερη, την τρίτη, το ίδιο. Και μιλάμε για εξάωρα, οκτάωρα, δεκάωρα. Τζίφος.

»Στο τέλος της δεύτερης εβδομάδας λέω στον παραγωγό: "Πάει, τον χάσαμε τον δίσκο". Και αρχίζω να τη λέω άσχημα στον Δημήτρη. Και μπαίνει μέσα ξανά. Και λέει τη "Ρόζα"... Κόντεψα να λιποθυμήσω. Ακούω τη φωνή του και είναι σαν να υπήρχε 3.000 χρόνια πριν. Και ακούω το απόλυτο ζεϊμπέκικο!»

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

«We had worked in my place for months, just for make him come close to "my way"» Thano Mikroutsikos remembers.
    «Later he was coming everyday at the studio. He wanted to know the way, syllables "live" in my mouth. After the finalization of the music recording, he stood in front of the microphone. First day was a failure. Same thing happened the 2nd and the 3rd day. And we're talking about 6-8-10 hours of work everytime. Still failure

»During the end of the second week I say to the producer "That was it! This work is being totally lost" And I start talking badly to Dimitris. Then he enters the studio once more. And sings "Roza" ... I was near passing out. I listened to his voice and it was like already existed 3.000 years before. And I listened to the ABSOLUTE zebekiko!»