SOLVED 70's Song played on WPFW Cloud 9 Radio (2010)

Thread: SOLVED 70's Song played on WPFW Cloud 9 Radio (2010)

Tags: 1970s obscure song, funk
  1. JamCityComix said:

Default SOLVED 70's Song played on WPFW Cloud 9 Radio (2010)

A couple years back there was this kickass early morning program on WPFW 89.3 in DC. Jamal Gray hosted it and he had a whole bunch of rare grooves and oldskool tracks. Some of which I went on rigorous searches for and eventually discovered to much joy. This program also helped open me to many new genres and artists, such as Fela Kuti, Nancy Holloway, Miriam Makeba, Gwen McCrae, Tony Barthele, Sekou Sundiata, Destruments, J. Rawls, Gil Scott-Heron, Ramsey Lewis, Natural Gas and many more.

Anyway... To get to the chase there was one, that I've had a terribly difficult time trying to find. It's this funk song that's clearly from the 1970's that starts off with a young woman talking to friends of hers saying, "Hey man, I need cash money, whatchu gonna do?" and then it segues into lyrics that sung by serveral people in falsetto:

"Keep on trying, everyday.
    Got to work hard so they won't forget you
    Got to work hard cuz what you've got ain't with you..."

And that's about all I can remember.

The tune was memorable in that regard, as well as it had a rather groovy bassline.

Anybody have ideas?

Thanks in advance =)

~J
  2. JamCityComix said:

HA! I finally was able to solve it myself, through much diligent searching. The song is by East Coast, its called "Keep on Trying" from 1973. =)