Arabic verb forms

Thread: Arabic verb forms

Tags: None

Ghaly said:

Default Arabic verb forms

I came to hear the following forms occuring in multiple dialects, hence the new thread!
    Please note, that the following transcription will have the Khaleeji dialect as pronouncing-source.

I noticed, that sometimes, verbs are modified with a long alif medially, like:

تلاقي (telagy) instead of تلقى (telga) OR;
    يكابر (ykabr) instead of يكبر (yekber) OR;
    تسابق (tesabeg) instead of تسبق (tesbeg).

So I figured, maybe, there is more to it than just random modification!
    Could it possibly be a conditionalish form or so?

Please help me out here!

EDIT:

Could تلقى also be the passive form of لقى? Is the passive form of لقى not التقى?
    Last edited by Ghaly; 04-28-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    - Racism is not far, it is in everybody's nature. Detect thy fears, thy prejudices, and live in unison with these fears and every being that does not harm thee.

2. mvnr1 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaly View Post
    I came to hear the following forms occuring in multiple dialects, hence the new thread!
    Please note, that the following transcription will have the Khaleeji dialect as pronouncing-source.

I noticed, that sometimes, verbs are modified with a long alif medially, like:

تلاقي (telagy) instead of تلقى (telga) OR;
    يكابر (ykabr) instead of يكبر (yekber) OR;
    تسابق (tesabeg) instead of تسبق (tesbeg).

So I figured, maybe, there is more to it than just random modification!
    Could it possibly be a conditionalish form or so?

Please help me out here!

EDIT:

Could تلقى also be the passive form of لقى? Is the passive form of لقى not التقى?
    i don't think the (alef) in the middle gives the same effect in all words, for example (يسابق) means (race) and (يسبق) means (beat (in a race)), so as u see the 2 words r kinda related to each other

but the verb (يسامح) and (يسمح), they have 2 different meanings, (يسامح) means (forgive) while (يسمح) means (allow)

EDIT:

i'll explain it concerning how it is in Egyptian Arabic, if (تلقى) is pronounced (tel2a) then it's not the passive form of (لقى) which is pronounced (la2a)

(تلقى) (tel2a) means (u find), (لقى) (la2a) means (he found), (التقى) (elta2a) means (he met)

Ghaly said:

Then, what the hell is تلاقي?
    - Racism is not far, it is in everybody's nature. Detect thy fears, thy prejudices, and live in unison with these fears and every being that does not harm thee.

4. mvnr1 said:

Then, what the hell is تلاقي?
    it means:
    1- (u find)
    2- (she finds)
    3- (maybe), for example:
    Tela2i el ragel ra7 (Maybe the man went)

Ghaly said:

So تلاقي and تلقى is the same crap?

6. CZAREK2581 said:

So تلاقي and تلقى is the same crap?
    Ghaly

They are a bit different in my opinion .

First one is ل+ق+ى=la2a\le2e which means to find,to come up

النهاردة لقيت الكتاب اللي حطيت=enhaarda la2eet al-ketaab elle 7aTTeet.....=Today i found the book which i put......

Second one is ل+ا+ق+ى=laa2a which means to meet sm

هلاقيك فين يا باشا؟=ha'la2eek feen ya baasha?Where i shall meet you ya Basha?

Of course everything depends on the context sometimes this two verbs can have almost the same usage=meaning.