What is the RunDMC song "Mary,Mary" about?

Thread: What is the RunDMC song "Mary,Mary" about?

Tags: None
  1. crazytrain said:

Default What is the RunDMC song "Mary,Mary" about?

I know it's part a remake of the Monkeys' song, about a girl named Mary that a guy is chasing
    and RunDMC changed the lyrics to something more modern, but it's still about chasing a girl that
    he likes.

A friend thinks it's saying that Mary is a "bad" girl and the guy does NOT like Mary.

I think they just changed the words to modernize it.

Please help me with this dilemma. What does RunDMC trying to convey about Mary, Mary?

Thanks

2. Jannah Aynur said:

According to me, it seems as if the song from RunDMC is about Mary, a girl that seems perfect at first sight ( "called her honey", "like you was Lois Lane and I was Clark Kent", "you used to be true", "High on the heels", ... ), but then suddenly starts to change ("next thing she spent up all my money", "now you're buggin, what's wrong with you?") and so he doesn't like her anymore at all...

The song from Monkey's is totally different; it's about his girlfriend ( Mary ) that has left him and so he's sad.

Venomonology said:

The song is about a girl he used to know that he initially liked a lot, he "called her honey". But she turned out to be a gold digger, "next thing she spent up all my money".
    He liked her enough that he would do anything for her, "stopped moving crack".. "you could call me everyday".. "I spend and I spend"; until he had nothing left to give, "Now my house with a mouse is a roach with a tent".

He wanted to find her & tell her that he loved her, "I wanna find you, I gotta tell you somethin", but she always avoided him because he had nothing material left to give her "you keep duckin".. "why you out there stuntin?".. "supposed to be with me, but not.. you're frontin"

Then the time switches to the present day & he starts talking like he's talking to a friend about her:

"This girl Mary I knew so well..", "clubs & the pubs is where she dwelled", "she seemed to scheme for a dream to sell" - all this is just recounting what we already know. She was a gold digger, only interested in men that could give her money and other material good. She was no good, always hanging around the clubs to meet men.

"She spent a night locked in a cell" - not specific, but we already know she's no good. Perhaps she was arrested for stealing? Or prostitution? From what we know of her, these seem the most likely crimes she would commit.

Then, at the end of the song it says she's "living in a house that's out on the prairie" - this creates the imagery of a lonely old woman to me, suggesting all of her efforts when she was young didn't work. Her scheming ways didn't pay off. And because he knows her and how she is he says, "I worry about Mary because Mary is scary."

Hope that helps.