May Someone Please Help Translate Text-Google Translate Doesn't Do A Very Good Job :(

Thread: May Someone Please Help Translate Text-Google Translate Doesn't Do A Very Good Job :(

Tags: None
  1. elymech said:

Default May Someone Please Help Translate Text-Google Translate Doesn't Do A Very Good Job :(

ЗНАМЕНИЕ

Я впервые вспоминаю себя на тихой зеленой улице на окраи-
    не большого города. Мне пятый год. Наша улица называется
    Пасечной, значит, когда-то здесь была деревня, разводили пчел.
    Теперь пасек у нас больше нет, но по улице ходят куры, а в неко-
    торых домах держат коров.
    Мы живем во Львове. Этот старый русский город, постро-
    енный в начале ХШ века князем Даниилом Романовичем, в те-
    чение долгих столетий много раз переходил из рук в руки, ста-
    новился то польским, то венгерским, то австрийским, то опять
    польским. Здесь говорят по-украински, по-польски и по-рус-
    ски.
    У нас большая семья, мы живем впятером в одной комнате -
    мать, мы с братом и тетя с мужем. Но в то время это мне каза-
    лось нормальным, тогда я не представлял себе, что кто-то живет
    по-другому.
    Я часто сижу за воротами на скамейке и слежу за петухом,
    который ходит важно, высоко несет голову, но со своей высоты
    видит лучше, чем куры, в поисках зерен снующие по улице с
    низко опущенным клювом. Обнаружив съедобное, петух не бро-
    сается клевать его сам, а созывает всю свою семью. Так, по моим
    тогдашним понятиям, должен вести себя настоящий мужчина.
    Мне интересно, когда же он ест? Наверно, когда мать разбрасы-
    вает им корм с крыльца. Тогда он может позволить себе рассла-
    биться. Тут ему ясно, что судьба, в лице моей матери, щедро
    позаботилась о его подопечных и корма хватит на всех. Его мес-
    то вожака на время занял кто-то еще более важный.
    Оботце в семье не говорят. Я не вижу даже его фотографий.
    В буфете стоит большая глиняная кружка. У нее по бокам вы-
    леплены разные раскрашенные сцены из жизни людей, пьющих
    пиво. Вместо ручки у кружки фигура человека, который изог-
    нулся и словно заглядывает в бочку или приготовился пить из
    нее. У человека любопытные глаза на глиняном лице и глазиро-

2. Eudaimon said:

Don't know if I do better than Google, but that's my try

My first memory of myself is in a quiet green street in the city outskirts. I'm four years old. Our street is named Apiary Street, which means there used to be a village here, and they kept bees. Now there are no apiaries anymore, yet hens walk around and some keep cows.
    We live in Lvov. This old Russian city founded in the beginning of 13th century by duke Daniil Romanovich has been changing hands multiple times, being sometimes Polish, then Hungarian, then Austrian, then Polish again. People speak Ukrainian, Polish and Russian here.
    We are a big family, we live five together in one room: my mother, me and my brother, and my aunt with her husband. But I thought it was normal at that time, I couldn't imagine that someone lives otherwise.
    I often sit on a bench outside the gate watching the rooster who walks grandly, holds his head up but sees better from his height than hens bustling about in search of seeds with their beaks down. When he finds something to eat, the rooster doesn't rush to peck it up but calls all his family. That is, as I understood it back then, how a man should behave. I wonder when does he eat? Probably when my mother throws them feed from the porch. Then he can afford to relax. Then he understands that the fortune, represented by my mother, has lavishly taken care of those under his charge and that there's enough feed for everyone. His leader's place is temporarily occupied by someone even more important.
    They don't speak about my father in my family. I don't see even his photos. There's a big clay cup in the buffet. It's got different colored scenes from the life of people drinking beer sculptured on its sides. Instead of a handle the cup has a man's figure who has bent and sort of looks into a barrel or is going to drink from it. The man has curious eyes on his clay face and glazed --- (then the text stops).

3. elymech said:

Thank you for the translation Eudaimon. It was much better than Google. If you want the previous sixteen pages for your personal reading I can send them to you, just let me know and I would be happy to oblige and share the material with you.

4. Eudaimon said:

Did you remove hyphenation and paragraph breaks in the end of each string? I've got a feeling it would boost the quality of translation.

5. elymech said:

Yes, I did remove the hyphenation and paragraph breaks, yet the translation is ambiguous and hard to understand, particularly the section with regards to the ****. Your translation really helped my understanding of the text. Thank you.

6. elymech said:

****=c-o-c-k