SOLVED: Sad depressing song

Thread: SOLVED: Sad depressing song

Tags: None
  1. GegeDede said:

Question SOLVED: Sad depressing song

Ok this is probably a very long shot, but I've looked through 4000 tracks and I can't seem to find it anymore...
    The problem is I don't know any of the lyrics, rhythm, artist, title, ...

So here is what I know/remember:

* I heard the song about 10 years ago (it's probably older) - I didn't hear it since so it's not a 'commercial' song that will be played often on the radio
    * It's a very slow moving song (Rock-Country-ish => No depressive metal)
    * The lyrics were very dark and depressing (alcohol, depression, suicide, ...)
    * I seem to remember vaguely a music video clip with a cartoon character that was drinking/smoking on a chair (again, 10+ years ago, maybe it's just my imagination that has build up that image over the years - If I saw it, it must have been on MTV at night I guess at that time...)
    * The performing artist had several songs in the same genre
    * The performing artist had a really deep voice - Male singer
    * Quite unknown to the general public
    * Didn't have any 'big hits'

To make matters worse, I'm not 100% sure of any of the above, so please take that into consideration.

I know it's very little to go on, but the guy (or gal) who finds the artist and/or song with this info must be the Rain Man of music knowledge. (In my book at least)

Thanks in advance for any attemps!! All are welcome!
    Last edited by GegeDede; 05-29-2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Added a clue

2. Fence Sitter said:

A long shot, ignoring music clip, and other songs that were popular at the same time, though it fits for dying and mentions too much wine.

The song that comes to mind is Terry Jacks' "Seasons in the Sun"

I haven't heard it in a while though about 10 or so years ago, I vaguely remember the local station playing it occasionally. It seemed to have enjoyed a brief popularity once again, (and I'd be guessing after looking at a wikipedia entry,) that was probably after Westlife's cover of the song was released onto the music market. I really prefer Terry Jacks version. It's easy to forget it's from 1974.

3. GegeDede said:

Thanks for trying!

Unfortunately, this is not it. The song I'm looking for is much more depressing and there are no mentions of joy or cheerful emotions, it was all dark and depressing. It was also nowhere near a hit, unlike 'Seasons in the Sun' which was and still is a well-known song.

As a little history interlude, this was actually a song written by 'Jacques Brel' called 'Le moribond'. It was later translated into 'Seasons in the sun', and I totally agree with you that Terry Jacks had the best version of them all. (as a Belgian, I had to mention one of our most influential music-artists, sorry to go off-topic :-) )

PS: I also forgot to mention but the performer had a really deep voice.

atmaestro said:

Well, the following artist don't have deep voices but try

"Without You" by Harry Neilsson
    "Alone Again (Naturally)" by Gilbert O'Sullivan
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

5. GegeDede said:

Like you mentioned yourself, the voices aren't deep enough, that's not it.

The rhythm is also too entertaining. They are sad songs, don't get me wrong, but the song I'm looking for had a much more calm/slow rhythm.

I don't expect anything but long shots here, so thanks a lot for taking the time to try! (and Alone Again is a beautiful song btw)

6. bugmenot1 said:

Try this song:

"Hurt" by Johnny Cash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp4UI_FxGLE

Mumbles said:

Deep voice and depressing reminds me of

Crash Test Dummies - Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIbcqgXh5-4
    Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice
    Y Ddraig Goch ddyry gychwyn

8. GegeDede said:

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot1 View Post
    Try this song:

"Hurt" by Johnny Cash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp4UI_FxGLE
    This is not it but it's definitely in the good direction.

Note: When I said: "not a commercial song", I also meant the artist is quite unknown to the general public. (unlike Cash)

Closest try until now, thanks!

9. GegeDede said:

Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Deep voice and depressing reminds me of

Crash Test Dummies - Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIbcqgXh5-4

Much deeper voice than Brad Roberts would indeed be hard to find. :-)
    But alas, this is not it.

Thanks anyways to bring this one up, it's been years since I heard it and it's an amazing song (albeit very sad indeed).

10. bugmenot1 said:

Is it possible for you to give any more details about the music video that might be associated with the mystery song?

11. GegeDede said:

Quote Originally Posted by GegeDede View Post
    * I seem to remember vaguely a music video clip with a cartoon character that was drinking/smoking on a chair (again, 10+ years ago, maybe it's just my imagination that has build up that image over the years - If I saw it, it must have been on MTV at night I guess at that time...)
    As far as my mind serves me well, there was nothing much happening. A guy (cartoon character) was sitting on a chair and drinking alcohol and smoking. It was a very badly lit room... Maybe a bar about closing time.

On a side note:
    I've gone through 2000 more tracks, this is driving me totally bonkers... :-)
    I just started going through the "1000 Country Golden Hits", but I don't know if it would really qualify as country...

12. pianoman74 said:

I think I know very well which style of music you mean. Very indie stuff, that's for sure.

e. g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHLz5sNLwXM

Note: When I said: "not a commercial song", I also meant the artist is quite unknown to the general public.
    Yet another winner, since Jeff Cole actually does fit in this category, too.

13. BlueNileFan said:

Male or female would have been simple right from the start. Don't know why you're sifting through hits if this wasn't one...Anyhow this 'down and out troubadour' is my long shot (along with half of his songs):

Everlast - Ends

14. GegeDede said:

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman74 View Post
    I think I know very well which style of music you mean. Very indie stuff, that's for sure.
    e. g.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHLz5sNLwXM
    Yet another winner, since Jeff Cole actually does fit in this category, too.

Never heard of him, thanks for the very nice guess!

Until now: Hurt by Johnny Cash would be the closest try though..

15. GegeDede said:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNileFan View Post
    Male or female would have been simple right from the start. Don't know why you're sifting through hits if this wasn't one...Anyhow this 'down and out troubadour' is my long shot (along with half of his songs):

Everlast - Ends
    Unfortunately, this is not it.

My bad for not being clear enough and thank you for pointing it out, added it to the list.

I'm sifting through the albums because I don't know where else to look anymore... I've encountered dozens of artists I had never heard from before though and I'm trying to enjoy the ride while I try to get to the destination.

16. Fence Sitter said:

I'm wondering if you'd consider Nick Cave having a deep voice. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds had a run of dark songs. I'm not overly familiar with their songs, or the official videos, but some of the songs are pretty dark. I don't think I've heard any that I'd call remotely countryish but then again the radio and tv only seem to play a few once and again, and then most of the time I'd be tuning out a few seconds into the song.

Looking at lyric results - "Shivers" mentions suicide and alcohol.

17. GegeDede said:

Quote Originally Posted by Fence Sitter View Post
    I'm wondering if you'd consider Nick Cave having a deep voice. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds had a run of dark songs. I'm not overly familiar with their songs, or the official videos, but some of the songs are pretty dark. I don't think I've heard any that I'd call remotely countryish but then again the radio and tv only seem to play a few once and again, and then most of the time I'd be tuning out a few seconds into the song.

Looking at lyric results - "Shivers" mentions suicide and alcohol.
    I consider Nick Cave having a deep voice indeed but this is not it. It was a solo performance by a male artist.
    Until now I always dismissed Nick Cave because he is quite well known but I'm beginning to hesitate. I will go through his works.

Thanks to keep trying for this pretty hopeless search anyways...

18. GegeDede said:

Cool

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet...

Some 2 years later, finally got it. I was watching a random episode of The Sopranos when I heard the voice, Stuart Ashton Staples... It was him, I was sure of it! Some quick Google search and I finally got it:

Tindersticks - Dying Slowly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icC4O5mq_-4

Man, what a sweet feeling.

atmaestro said:

Congratulations!
    (Never give up, Never surrender).
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title