"Identify It" for non-English song ID requests?

Thread: "Identify It" for non-English song ID requests?

Tags: None
  1. pianoman74 said:

Default "Identify It" for non-English song ID requests?

Well, a thought has just come to my mind which I think could improve this forum's quality even more.
    This is an English forum. People are asked to speak English only. 98% would obey to this rule, but does that mean they will only listen to English songs as well?

'Spose not. It's the globalised world of internet radios, where a user from far North Iceland may (accidentally?) tune into a small station based in likewise far-away Brazil, so the language will most likely be Portuguese.
    So he considers posting his ID request into "Identify It" and ... it will---most likely---go down the drain in no time.

- The majority of users seemingly speak English as their native language.
    - The majority of users preferably seem to listen to songs in English language.
    - That's why the foreign language "experts" would only occasionally show up there and even (if and only if luck permits) see the right thread at the right time.

And that's why you clever guys had begun thinking about a trick, long ago:
    You guys would move over to "Lyrics Translation" forum, select the appropriate forum for Portuguese or whatever else language, and post your ID request there.
    TADAA!!!
    And 3 days later, the song is solved.
    But why?

Well, I think it's simply because the native foreign language speakers would mainly roam around in a sub-forum in "their" language.
    So the effect is in fact that users who request a song in a foreign language are more likely to get help (and more quickly, too) when they post in a forum that got all the English-language stuff "filtered out."

This, however, albeit one possible way to go, ... is not the purpose of the Lyrics Translation forum, which, as its name suggests, was actually only made for translations.

And that's just why a copy of the "Identify It" forum for non-English songs would make lots of sense.

- People who only speak The World Language {TM}, thus English, do no longer get the ID forum cluttered up with foreign language requests (-> better overview)
    - People who speak more than The World Language {TM} (or even barely English, let alone those needing a translation software to post here), do no longer have to hand-pick foreign language song requests using very good eyes and, if not applicable, even a pair of glasses.

What are your opinions about this?

partizanka said:

I think that's a good idea, pianoman. It makes a lot of sense, as the Identify It section does get really busy.
    The only problem might be that, as you said, many people tend to stay in their "own" sub-forums, so they may not notice a general "Non-English Identify It" thread. But it would still be an improvement, probably.
    If others agree, we can get started on something like this as soon as possible.
    Last edited by partizanka; 06-01-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: More thought
    non mi avrete mai come volete voi
    mirno spavaj sestro.

Tania ATL said:

This is really good thought. I think, we may go even further, and somehow broaden 'translation' limits of language-specific section - I think about making own 'identify' and 'request' (and maybe even 'review' - if needed) subforums for each language forum.

4. pianoman74 said:

Quote Originally Posted by ercmnt View Post
    People would lead to the right sub-forum too. like : this is not turkish , it may be arabic, it may be .... or so.
    Nooo, do NOT create sub-forums! At least in the beginning---should this proposal ever materialize at all---let's have all non-English ID requests in one forum - that'll be its purpose. Trust me, there won't be too many.
    Because, as you said correctly, people may put Dutch-language song requests in German or even Danish sub-forum and all we get in the end will be a huge chaos.

Unless we see some languages get posted in huge amounts (let's say 50 requests per week, and 40 are Arabic/Farsi/Hindi/Urdu... then they should get their own sub-forum, but please, if any, use them sparsely. That is, do not copy the whole (sub-)structure from "Lyrics Translation" section. It's great as it is now, but it's for some other purpose, too.

Tania ATL said:

Yes, that sounds reasonable. I'm consulting other admins now, and soon we'll see.

Tania ATL said:

And here we are - http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/non-english-songs/. I hope it's ok that it's a subforum of global 'Identify It'? May be we shall make announcement of this new subforum in every language-specific sections, something like temporary sticky topic, for people a) to post in right place and, even more important, b) to go for requests to this subforum?

7. pianoman74 said:

Thanks for creating this forum! I would never have hoped that anyone would make it happen that fast, that's amazing. Thanks Tania!

Hmmm, personally I would have preferred a non-subforum, so in the same hierarchy as "Identify It" since a non-trivial sub-forum structure is known to be "slightly" confusing for newbies and/or non-tech-savvy folks.

But what are you guys' opinions about it? What do you guys prefer?

Tania ATL said:

Personally I think that it feels more logically like it is now, under 'Identify It' section. But I can't see all. May be moderators of translation sections could tell more? Did users start posting in this new section, or do you still have to move all posts there? I haven't made announces in 'translate' subforums yet, I'll try to do it sooner

partizanka said:

Users have posted in the non-English subforum already. And it's not a problem to redirect them there. So İ think it's working fine, so far.
    non mi avrete mai come volete voi
    mirno spavaj sestro.

10. pianoman74 said:

Cool

More than that, even. Some girl was looking for an Arabic song back in APRIL, and it would surely have gone down the drain in the mess of English-language requests. But hey, since I've recently moved several wagonloads of foreign language ID requests into said sub-forum, this post was still on the first pages, and now somebody solved it! Boy, was she happy