But......so do you
    Fly away Raven,
    You're Beautiful.

Fly away
    Fly a-way-a
    Fly away
    Fly a-way-a

Written 12/2004
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 06-07-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Doug Denslowe said:

It's a song that repeats the first verse.If it's sung,it works.Thanks for your Comment,all are appreciated.D.D.
    After rereading the comments,a lot of the ones comparing it to Poe were deleted.So I did want to say if you're reading the Comments and it seems weird that others talk about "stuff that's not there" that's why!I just noticed all the Replies between June 2nd and July 11th were deleted or simply vanished.I had about 10 more people comment.Why are their comments gone?
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 06-10-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: VANISHING COMMENTS!

Frankie Jasmine said:

I've listened to some songs that are this short and they can work with repetition. But the Raven Beauty imagery is so impressive, that--to me--another glimpse into her would be so nice, if the verse would be done very thoughtfully, with beauty, and your signature conciseness. OK. I admit--here's the newbie offering advice to the pro!

Doug Denslowe said:

After each,"fly away"there is a violin playing Strum,strum,strum.Then during fly a-way,"a violin plays strum,strum,strum-strum.If you can think of how a violin would replicate the vocal,"Fly away,fly a-way-ay,Fly away,fly a-way-ay.The verse is repeated and although short,does exactly what I wanted it to do.I should have written out the verse again,but this was my second song I posted,so was new at how to post song lyrics.Now being an old pro,I'd post it longhand.Maybe I'll edit it at some future time.This is real classic country style.I don't write any one type of song,just good ones,I hope!

Frankie Jasmine said:

Yes, indeed you do write good ones!

Oh, and I love the description about the violin (in country, we call it fiddle, even if it's as beautiful as classical violin!) repeating the words . . .

6. jzon said:

I really like the imagrey here. Its dark and it makes for cool song.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Art impresses different people different ways. For me personally, it is not dark; it is longing . . . Not "arguing" . . . merely pointing out the personal impressions art makes upon each one of us.

I say: None are wrong. All are right for the individual listener.

Doug, you are the artist--Do you agree with the above statement?

8. Zakynthos said:

Shortness often grants songs that feeling of melancholy, like something that you will never know, eternally incomplete...

Doug Denslowe said:

This is a Reply to Comment #7 by Frankie J. I didn't think this was a "dark song" at all.Like you said perfectly I was "longing"?If a song about a girl leaving you is "dark",then most of my songs are.I think why people said,"Like Poe,or dark"was simply the name of this song,Raven Beauty.This song was describing a young woman with Black hair and very light skin.She has dark green eyes,thus,in my mind,Raven.The Poetry Gods were generous that day,I wrote Raven Beauty(of the night)and Hurt Me So,in the same hour.One right after the other.One song says,"will I see her,I don't know"the other says," fly away,fly a-way".Basically the same thing. While I'm here,let me try to express the violin part better.Fly away...mmmmm-mmmmm-mmmmm Fly a-way-ay
    mmmmm-mmmm-mmmmm-mmmmmm Fly away mmmmmm-mmmmmmm-mmmmmmm Fly a-way-ay mmmmmm-mmmmm-mmmmm-mmmmm I hope,if you hum it,it gives you a clearer picture of what I was trying to express.
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 06-07-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Thanks for responding to my question, and in a very interesting way--showing understanding of how individuals arrived at different descriptions for differing reason.

About the "Fly away" (mmm-mmm-mmm - 3 strums = like "fly a-way"), Fly away-ay (mmm-mmm-mmm-mmm = 4 strums = "fly a-way-ay).
    I could only read 3 beats (3 syllables) into the original post of "Fly a-way". Now it's clear how it would actually be sung with "Fly away-ay" = 4 musical syllables.

Although personally I prefer the "strum-strum-strum" (and consequently "strum-strum-strum-strum") better than the "mmmmmm's.

And yes, I'm trying to be funny. At the same time I am dead serious.
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 07-13-2012 at 07:11 AM.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zakynthos View Post
    Shortness often grants songs that feeling of melancholy, like something that you will never know, eternally incomplete...

I have given you literal "thanks" for this post, Zakynthos, because it is a "gem" of understanding--a concise and profound statement which I will remember for a long, long time. Of course, what you say is true; but never would I have conceived this poetic concept or observation! Truly appreciated.

Doug Denslowe said:

Trying to explain violin riffs with computer type is difficult,but I see you GOT what I was trying to express.It makes it seem it was all worthwhile.I hope that if you understood what I was trying to express,others will too.Thanks,Frankie.
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 07-14-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Change"worth it" to worthwhile,if you must know

13. Zakynthos said:

Although short, I fell in love with this song. I am always hearing it on my mind. By far, the best song in the forum.

14. Zakynthos said:

May I use it as my signature? I will also include your name right under it.

Doug Denslowe said:

You know it!I'm glad some folks "got" this song!Now if I only had a band to record it.Use it,sing it,play it;that's why I posted it!It'd be a shame to go to waste!Thank you for the complament.To me,it sings itself.Go for it,I hope she brings you luck!(Private joke)

16. Zakynthos said:

You know what? It does not let me save it because it exceeds the 200 words limit. May I change it so it can fit?

Doug Denslowe said:

Do what you have to do.I trust you judgement.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Using the words of one of our best writers' songs is a wonderful idea! It speaks well of Doug's talent and of Zakynthos's perception of quality writing*!

* That is, I did not even mention Z's wonderful poetry and lyrics! But Z, your comment above is priceless too:

19. mexico62 said:

Quote Originally Posted by jzon View Post
    I really like the imagrey here. Its dark and it makes for cool song.
    Hi Friends, about the comment of Jzon, I must say that I donīt know a lot of music, but when I was reading the lyrics at first, before read the comments, it came to my mind "donīt cry" by guns and roses, after I read Jim Colyer comment, if this sounds like Poe, Ąitīs destined to be a classic!
    I donīt rally know, but maybe Jzon talks about a dark song, like a heavy rock, as it have a short story, it would be so good to hear the violin solo, and I donīt know if it would admit a guitar solo, like slash in "donīt cry" or george Harrison in "while my guitar gently weeps", this way it sould be a very long musical song.
    Gracias a todos y saludos desde México, Doug you are a great artist.

Doug Denslowe said:

A guitar would work as well.I mention violin,if I could conduct my fantasy orchestra!George Harrison's tone is perfect for this song.Although simple,I'm glad some people are grasping exactly what I had in mind,from just "talking"about it.Simple guitar strums until;fly a-way strum strum strum.Fly a-way-ay strum,strum,strum,strum.I hope somebody with a guitar plays this,it's easy as pie!
    It's a love song,not Poe-ish in anyway.I know The Raven is a famous E.A.Poe poem,but....this is about love lost.....Nevermore.
    Or;fly a-way whah,whah,whah fly a-way-ay whah,whah,whah-whah.On a whah-whah petal
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 07-27-2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Whah-whah