Friends or money
    You've blown it all
    On dragon-honey
    Take it from me
    You're gonna drown
    Sooner than later
    You're dead in the ground

5/11/01
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 04-15-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Doug Denslowe said:

The message that was here no longer applied,so I deleted it.the problem is,I can't think of anything clever to put in it's place.See Comment 11 and pretend it was here.
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 01-09-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: See Comment 11 remark

3. Tomatomic said:

dude i think right wavelength is right. i love the imagery here especially the card reference in the 3rd verse. i think that this would suit stoner rock really well, real Down stuff methinks. \m/ sex, drugs, rock and roll dude!

Doug Denslowe said:

Thanks for taking the time to Comment on my song.I was hoping for more input from people reading these posts,but what can you say?

Johnb31 said:

I think its good, bad and crazy all in one lol it kind of blew my mind wasn't expecting that, but I like it a lot. We got to slay the dragons in our lives.

smoothtung said:

Real cool piece here Doug I'm glad you told me about this. This ones hard I don't see much of anything at all I can offer to help (as usual with your scriptures) just one word things, I'll give it a shot. Feel free to ignore these as they're not much;

"In the days of old
    Or so they say
    To prove you were worthy
    A Dragon you'd slay
    But,other than movies
    Cartoons and such
    Finding a Dragon
    Your chances....... *weren't* much."
    (my reasoning is simply that this is the last line of a verse that takes place in the past you know? So the word 'weren't' fits that theme I think)

"now as ironic,
    As this may sound
    Chasing the Dragon
    Can now be found
    Pretty girls,friends
    And parties *renowned*
    Chasing the Dragon
    Was all around"
    (the way you wrote it sounded great, just adding my touch really. Sort of felt that 'abound' and 'around' we're too similar in vowel sounds)

Aha that's litteraly all I have. This is a great job. I love the last two stanzas and especially the last six lines. Perfect man.
    - Nicholas

smoothtung said:

I'll check out your other piece soon, I remembered I owed you a read-over so I squeezed this in before work.

Frankie Jasmine said:

@Doug, smoothtung: Just gotta say, I understand the grammatical reasons for the change noted by ST. But then again, when did songs/lyrics ever really adhere to grammar--not often. My vote is with "not much." To me it fits with the casual, rather defeatist tone of the poem/lyrics. For me "it fits."

No offense, smoothtung! I know you're wanting to help Doug in whatever way you can because he's so good at helping us. Just differing opinions!!
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 08-08-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Johnb31 said:

I really like this Doug, I like how you used the idea of the dragon its quite a formidable foe.

MoonRide*r* said:

Great stuff Doug. I don't have anything more concrete to offer, coz as I read it I was just cruisin' on that wavelength that Tomatomic mentioned
    There is no glamour in sudden death, and nobody ever wins a war.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>
    ROCK 'n' Roll Halls of Fame

Doug Denslowe said:

For those of you old enough to remember the commercials on both radio and television that went,"I'm Chiquita Banana and I'm here to say"......well,if you know the rhythm of that jingle,That's what I have it mind for the rhythm of this novelty song.(No refrain/chorus)I hear steel drums in the background (a la Carrie Ann by the Hollies)It goes pretty much the same until the line,"Then one day,You're sick to the bone,You call up your chums,They hang-up the phone"that part slows to a crawl.Then.........
    Back to the regular beat.It's suppose to be funny( that's why I put the "Please pass the joint"line in)I hope you all understood where I was coming from.If you didn't,I hope,now you do!P.S.if you want the rhythm of this song;YouTube Chiquita Banana Ads
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 08-09-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Chiquita Banana Ads

MoonRide*r* said:

Yep, I got it, and my first big clue was these lines.... they just set off an image of a certain lightheartedness/non-seriosity in my head...

Lit a fire.........
    Sucked real hard
    A one-eyed Jack winked............
    I drew my first card

I also got a visual impression that you may be winking back at the card, or the situation, or something
    There is no glamour in sudden death, and nobody ever wins a war.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>
    ROCK 'n' Roll Halls of Fame

Doug Denslowe said:

Dats it!!!

smoothtung said:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    @Doug, smoothtung: Just gotta say, I understand the grammatical reasons for the changed noted by ST. But then again, when did songs/lyrics ever really adhere to grammar--not often. My vote is with "not much." To me it fits with the casual, rather defeatist tone of the poem/lyrics. For me "it fits."

No offense, smoothtung! I know you're wanting to help Doug in whatever way you can because he's so good at helping us. Just differing opinions!!
    No Frankie I completely agree, I told him feel free to ignore what I said. It's just Doug asked me to read over a piece and give him some feedback. I personally feel like I'm cheating someone by just responding 'this was real good' but at the same time I couldn't find ANYTHING that needed obvious changing in this script. So I sort of just relayed two small things (that were so small and personal to him that it really didn't matter either way) just so he didn't feel I was leaving him out to dry when he in return has been so helpful to me.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Understood precisely, ST!

smoothtung said:

The thankyou button has vanished for me somehow. 'thank you'

Johnb31 said:

I know me too I don't know what happened to it.

smoothtung said:

Ahah over-usage

Frankie Jasmine said:

Yeh, the "Thanks" rules are a little more specific than the "Like" button; there's a caution to use it for posts that are truly useful. In the past week, I was afraid I was gonna get "overuse"--there were so many things that were helpful and much appreciated on the lyrics/poetry threads!

smoothtung said:

You and all of us Frankie, we take the ATL form of some peace loving hippies on here it's great.