Honesty

Thread: Honesty

Tags: doug denslowe song, honesty, poems, rock&roll, song lyrics

Jim Colyer said:

Doug,

I like the short lines and the way you hold nothing back. You tell it like it is. There is a woman in my past who fits this song perfectly.

Jim
    Jim Colyer Girl albums

2. KathyB said:

Who would you say the below stanza to? Those exact words.

Your web was spun
    You knew I'd fall
    No hesitation
    I gave my all
    Kathy

Doug Denslowe said:

To an audience,who else?

Frankie Jasmine said:

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    you shouldn't worry about copyright as soon as you put pen to paper its yours.
    Sorry to disagree on this point. If this was the case, then why have so very many people in the music industry "lost out" on covers of their songs and unauthorized use of their songs? Prince wrote his songs. But does he get royalties for all of the older ones? I don't think so. And he is one who has money to "fight" the system--it still doesn't come out on his side.

Rhythm'n'Blues out of Memphis, which then led to rock'n'roll. The writers were mostly black. Caucasians did "covers" of their music (understood by the public to be originals); but the true writers were left out of any money. In their case, few of them had money to fight the thievery or trickery. Doesn't matter--the end was the same as the composer/writer with money in our time (e.g., Prince).

So, how can it be a REALITY that pen to paper makes it yours, even if it's in the law books . . . when so many have and still are losing out?

Hey! No frustration aimed at you KathyB and JohnB31. My frustration is over a "system" which says one thing then delivers the opposite --these compensatory/recognition laws often don't work.

I know about music company sign-ups, etc., being an instigating factor. Still . . . can it truly be said that "pen to paper and it's yours?"

I studied about 'poor man's copyright law' in the U.S. on my own. What protection would that be in another country? I do agree that 'poor man's copyright' might be good in a small claims court; but if it went beyond that, what 'poor man' could afford to fight in a higher court? And--already said thrice--money doesn't necessarily win out either.

Sorry. This is a bit of a sore point with me. Some of you have never heard me speak like this! Thanks for putting up with me . . .

5. KathyB said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    To an audience,who else?
    LOL....I meant in a personal conversation...good answer though
    Kathy

6. KathyB said:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    Sorry to disagree on this point. If this was the case, then why have so very many people in the music industry "lost out" on covers of their songs and unauthorized use of their songs? Prince wrote his songs. But does he get royalties for all of the older ones? I don't think so. And he is one who has money to "fight" the system--it still doesn't come out on his side.

Rhythm'n'Blues out of Memphis, which then led to rock'n'roll. The writers were mostly black. Caucasians did "covers" of their music (understood by the public to be originals); but the true writers were left out of any money. In their case, few of them had money to fight the thievery or trickery. Doesn't matter--the end was the same as the composer/writer with money in our time (e.g., Prince).

So, how can it be a REALITY that pen to paper makes it yours, even if it's in the law books . . . when so many have and still are losing out?

Hey! No frustration aimed at you KathyB and JohnB31. My frustration is over a "system" which says one thing then delivers the opposite --these compensatory/recognition laws often don't work.

I know about music company sign-ups, etc., being an instigating factor. Still . . . can it truly be said that "pen to paper and it's yours?"

I studied about 'poor man's copyright law' in the U.S. on my own. What protection would that be in another country? I do agree that 'poor man's copyright' might be good in a small claims court; but if it went beyond that, what 'poor man' could afford to fight in a higher court? And--already said thrice--money doesn't necessarily win out either.

Sorry. This is a bit of a sore point with me. Some of you have never heard me speak like this! Thanks for putting up with me . . .
    Not a sore point at all/I don't take much personal, we all have opinions and are allowed to give em...hey we live in the usa....

If you are in the industry you don't worry about it...The same topic is thought by over and over and over and eventually its gonna be written similar to yours...there is not way around it. If you have an artist ready to cut your song, yes, keep it to yourself, I wouldn't advertise that song.
    Kathy

7. KathyB said:

Well, You sing it like a song with a chorus but the other things are still the same.

There is a saying that if you are an artist and you play out and your fans like what you are playing then you go with that. If you are trying to write for other people then you need to write more of an industry pattern. Some writers don't like that, I have met many and some writers learn the industry form. They write one for themselves a day and one for the industry a day.
    Kathy

Doug Denslowe said:

Did I redeem it as a Song Lyric or it is still a Poem?Industry pattern?!?!
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 09-22-2012 at 10:40 PM.

9. KathyB said:

IMO... poem
    Kathy

Doug Denslowe said:

Well,I've been performing this "Poem" since 2001!I guess I'll have to learn "the industry pattern"!
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 09-23-2012 at 11:57 AM.

11. KathyB said:

Lol...that's why I said if you play out you can do what you want. The artist has freedom. If you want artists To sing your material industry standard is better.
    Kathy

amaryn said:

Hi Kathy! "Industry standard" sounds rather boring to me. (forgive me, pleeze, nothing personal ) I hate things to be too predictable. O yes, me as an artist also know, how ugly the manners of the record industry are in general if not without exception.

But to write different styles just to make it fit IOW "tailormade", no THANKS!

@DOUG: brilliant lines:"when you get older/ alone at night /
    just remember the boy who treated you right"!

that's the feeling it gives to me reading that. This trauma is all too familiar to far too many! However, the other way around is also felt by many I suppose.

Doug Denslowe said:

Amaryn,
    You may have noticed that I usually get the last word in my Song Lyrics.Not this time!

14. KathyB said:

@ Amaryn You only need to follow industry standard if you want someone else to sing your stuff. If you play out and people like what you play then your brain is your only limitation for creativity.

Peoples ears have been conditioned by the radio. The music on the radio (for the majority) is comforting and familiar. Artistry and creativity is not embraced. Just because a song is on the radio doesn't even mean its the best.
    Kathy

amaryn said:

Hear, hear, that's so very right, Kathy! I hope I get as little influenced by that as by reclame on TV,lol

16. Dustay said:

This does what most songs don't anymore, flows and you can almost hum to it while you read it. props.

17. Tomatomic said:

great stuff doug as always man. poetry is such a fine method of personal expression and you delve perfectly into an aspect of human nature, the inability to maintain truth, really well. i can say this a million times but it never seems enough..... KEEP GOING DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amaryn said:

"Honesty", as "Diablo Diane"," Jeanette "," Me Me Mine" and other songs/poems of yours have made clear to me that you are an excellent
    Commander of The Lyrics: hardly too many words are being spilled, straight to the message.
    It's a style not often met . You have found the way to do it well! Thanks!

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by amaryn View Post
    "Honesty", as "Diablo Diane"," Jeanette "," Me Me Mine" and other songs/poems of yours have made clear to me that you are an excellent
    Commander of The Lyrics: hardly too many words are being spilled, straight to the message.
    It's a style not often met . You have found the way to do it well! Thanks!
    I'm glad you "dig my style"!!For me,it's words to be sung.If you crowd the verse with too many words,it makes it more difficult to sing.I mentioned this to Rock Rebel Rickey on his great song lyric "Big Bad Wolf".He took my advice to heart and turned it into the Masterpiece I knew it could and should be.That's why this site is here;to encourage and advise our fellow writers.Again,Thank You for the kind words and bringing my songs back for newcomers to see.

amaryn said:

I take /took this advice to my heart myself, though I do not want to "spoil my own style" your words do often lead to a better outcome
    which is only a very positive thing on these threads; Being openminded is so utterly important to develop as a writer of good lyrics.
    THANKS FOR EVERY BIT YOU HAVE DONE SO FAR, FLOWER BRO!