Pumpkinhead

Thread: Pumpkinhead

Tags: doug denslowe song, evil incarnate, pumpkinhead

Doug Denslowe said:

Default Pumpkinhead

Of all the stories
    I've heard or read
    Nothing more frightening than..............
    Pumpkinhead

Seven generations
    All inbred
    Mix a little Witchcraft............
    Pumpkinhead

You can't kill
    What's already dead
    So it goes,for.......
    Pumpkinhead

Fire from Hell
    White-hot,red
    Couldn't begin to stop......
    Pumpkinhead

Lock your doors
    Put the kids to bed
    In the clearing.........
    Pumpkinhead

Two straight minutes
    Blazing pistol lead
    It kept coming.........
    Pumpkinhead

Air so thick
    Full of dread
    Hear the footsteps.........
    Pumpkinhead

Town deserted
    Everyone fled
    All except.......
    Pumpkinhead

Evil incarnate
    Revenge has fed
    Until the next time........
    Pumpkinhead.
    **************07/22/09*****
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 04-04-2014 at 09:00 PM.

2. Tomatomic said:

i'm gonna take a shot in the dark with this dude and say 'inspired by the 1988 cult horror film Pumpkinhead'. good stuff dude the repetition works well to cement the image and instil the fear into the reader. i can see this being sung old school marilyn manson style for the ultimate freak out factor! \m/

Frankie Jasmine said:

Doug, this is just plain scary. I rarely see humor in fear-inspiring lyrics. Some people might take it as funny, like that old, old song "Monster Mash," but I can't. (Though I do hear humor in "Monster Mash"!)

:S :O

Doug Denslowe said:

Wow,I just refered to the song Monster Mash on Tomatomic's Thread!I swear I read this after!I guess we're of like minds when it comes to Oldies but Goodies references.Thanks again for your generous input,much appreciated.Doug. P.S.I didn't have any intentions of this being humorous in any way.I guess the word"Pumpkinhead" can be con strewed as "funny".

Frankie Jasmine said:

No, not really 'funny,' Doug. But you know how some people approach frightening things (like movies) with faux humor. The old "It don't scare me!" method of dealing with fear. That's what I meant--like knowing it's not real, being scared anyway, but then acting tough about it ... or smiling ... yet there's fear behind the smile they don't realize others see.

To me, it's real. And too scary for me.

In it's own way, I guess that's a compliment.

Doug Denslowe said:

I guess this is a little bit more "real"in your neck of the woods.This was based on the movie of the same name(See above Reply)and although inflenced by it,it's an original work.Sometimes ideas come from the weirdest places.I'll take all the help I can get!

Frankie Jasmine said:

Doug, I'm strangely--and against my will--drawn to re-read this song. Maybe I like to be scared. (I never saw "Pumpkinhead," so there's no reference there--just your lyrics!)

8. DeShaun said:

This is evocative and packed with imagery. The verbiage is awesome.

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeShaun View Post
    This is evocative and packed with imagery. The verbiage is awesome.
    Thanks,De.I didn't Comment on your cool;Venus in the News because Frankie Jasmine said everything I was going to.If you impress her,you've succeeded!

10. The Obscured said:

I like! Nothing like an ominous song to make me happy, lol. Great job, I'd love to hear music to this if you have it somewhere?
    We're a little bit stranger on the inside

Doug Denslowe said:

To be perfectly honest,I never even thought about the music to this.It probably would lent itself to "movie background"type stuff.You know,erie,free form background music.It has such a visual image to it,I only saw what I wrote;the Pumpkinhead character approaching.
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 01-17-2015 at 05:42 PM.

12. LooknGlass said:

This is good man, good rhyming structure. "Blazing pistol lead" is the only thing that stuttered me for a second, but not enough to make a difference, this is a great write.

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by LooknGlass View Post
    This is good man, good rhyming structure. "Blazing pistol lead" is the only thing that stuttered me for a second, but not enough to make a difference, this is a great write.
    The line is;Blazing..........pistol........lead.........you know,said with concern,fear,doubt,horror!

amaryn said:

Just like Frankie, I never saw the film, but Hitchcock scared me to death at the age of 11 and I had to be calmed down with pills for a week or two in boarding school,lol Ever since I've been weirdly attracted to make up for the scare, but oddly, I just can't.
    This though is fun to read. Maybe it helps and might be the Yellow Pill the Stones sing about, just to help me swallow that Luring Fear

15. MrGore said:

i love how you repeat the line of "pumpkinhead" it kindof gives it a spiritual like element ala swing low sweet chariot and similar spirituals songs from way back, great work

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by MrGore View Post
    i love how you repeat the line of "pumpkinhead" it kindof gives it a spiritual like element ala swing low sweet chariot and similar spirituals songs from way back, great work
    Thanks MG.This just came to me as if someone was chanting it,inside my brain........

17. MrGore said:

Yea dude that chanting thing last night at work your lyrics were playing in my head like a chant so its kinda creepy that thats how it came to you stay wicked bro

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by MrGore View Post
    Yea dude that chanting thing last night at work your lyrics were playing in my head like a chant so its kinda creepy that thats how it came to you stay wicked bro
    Wow,when my lyrics play in someone's head,I'm flattered!Thanks!

jessie zuppo said:

Doug,
    I like how your styles switch up- especially considering I read your material not in chronological order- so it's a surprise everytime I read a piece...the humor in a 'scary' piece, is just awesome....it is so "you"! And that's my favorite part of your work, you are able to stay ' true' to who you are, to your 'brand', and your signature no matter how you tweak it, it is still most uniquely yours!

Frankie Jasmine said:

And PUMPKINHEAD raises itself again!! Always nice and scary to see this one again, Doug!