You'll never get away
    He'll never stop coming
    Until your dying day

It's said when he rode
    His horse burst into flame
    No one will dispute it
    A mystery he'll remain.

Written 2004
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 04-15-2014 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Thanks to Frankie Jasmine

Frankie Jasmine said:

Now THIS is creepy in an Edgar Allan Poe "The Raven" kind of way! I like it. The Gravedigger Kid doesn't seem like a fictional person; he sounds real. Yet, exactly what he does is left mostly to the "hearer's" imagination. I like that. It's told as though a story, with some vague references; e.g.: "Cause it was rumored" and "It's said when he rode . . . " That, too, leaves the reality-decision to the hearer. Because of human nature, the more mystery and actual lack of specific knowledge of "what" he does precisely (in a capable writer's hands), the more we like to believe such a person really "is"!! Even if "His horse burst into flames"! I buy it! Plus, once again, I like the possible "other era" tone.

Doug Denslowe said:

Thanks Frankie,I appreciate your great insight.I wrote all my Westerns at the same time,they just came to me.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Came back to this song again, Doug, just to check it out. What I said above goes double.

You know how we gather "life lessons" as we grow up and go along? Well, through experience I came to know when something was a work of art. That is, a work of art, rather than an "arts & crafts," something trendy, pretty or nice; something catchy (you get the drift) . . . the key was the test of time.

When we bought artwork and hung it in our home--whether it was done by a 13-yr-old at the special arts school and it cost $20 or whether it was from a local artist somewhere we vacationed . . . or . . . When I got jewelry--how to know if it's a fad or truly "art jewelry." Same goes with all art forms: Music, ballet, street art, clothing, WHATEVER!

IF THE LONGER YOU HAVE IT, THE MORE YOU LIKE IT--IT'S A WORK OF ART!!
    (If you only "still like it," or like it less, for you--it is not a "work of art."

Works of art are my anniversary ring (simple but oh, so elegant); paintings DH and I have bought together; a vase; a Fedescheno (sp?) black Russian laquered box; seeing the Bolshoi Ballet (every memory--better and better, just as clear!); BARIS AKARSU's music; . . . . and the same is true with Grave Digger Kid.

These true pieces of art--as well as others that meet that critieria--get better with time! OWO!!

Doug Denslowe said:

Double Thanks!For some reason,all of my Western songs got the least Replies along with the least views.Why,I don't know.I think they're relatable and super easy to put to music.I think people might pre-judge a Lyric by it's Song Title.Fair enough,but I think they're missing out on some unusual Lyrics.Thanks for digging this up again,the Kid says Thanks as well.(I'll tell him to only contact you,thru me!)

Frankie Jasmine said:

I really like your Western-themed songs too! They're great stories and poetry. Everybody: Look up Doug's Western series. You'll recognize probably by the title. They're really good!

7. KathyB said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    This is another of my Horror/Western songs.For about a month I wrote a few of these,this was the second one,see if you like it.Special Thank You to Frankie Jasmine.

Love hearing stories
    About the Gravedigger Kid
    'Cause it was rumored
    He put his soul up for bid

At around Midnight
    He'd dress all in black
    From his boots,to the long
    Tattered cape on his back

Gravedigger gonna get ya
    You'll never get away
    He'll never stop coming >>>>Chorus>>>>>>>
    Until your dying day

When people talked about him
    They always whipered "Strange"
    When he left you dying
    He'd be humming"Home on the Range"

Posses tried to track him
    It lead to graveyard sand
    Traveling undercover in
    An old time Western band

Gravedigger gonna get ya
    You'll never get away
    He'll never stop coming <<<<<<<<<<Chorus>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Until his dying day

It's said when he rode
    His horse burst into flame
    No one will dispute it
    A mystery he'll remain. <<<<<<<<Let me know what you think>>>>>>>>>>
    funny I don't view it as western maybe metal rock...Im 47 so I grew up on Devo and B52's plus late disco, country and easy listening stuff..,..oh and the reel to reel music my dad recorded in overseas of RocknRoll...lol so the newer stuff I'm not as familiar with and when I listen its sounds like rock too me. ( I have teenagers)

but this is more theatrical, a music production on stage similar to Meatloaf..
    cool writing. somethings can be tweaked, but if you ever record it that's when you do it.
    Kathy

8. mexico62 said:

Hi, Doug, I remember when I read your lyrics for "The Ghost Rider", you mentioned this work, and I think that this song can have a hard rock rhythm, of course with a repetitive pump of your drums and some strong bass circle, is a shame that I´m not a bass player, it would be a great honor to play this song. Buen trabajo amigo Doug.

MoonRide*r* said:

mexico62, thanks for bumping this one!

KathyB, I'm older and I think I heard some ZZ Top vocals somewhere in there... like something from their Deguello album? But that's just me.

Doug! Dude! Muy fantastico hombre!!!
    There is no glamour in sudden death, and nobody ever wins a war.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>
    ROCK 'n' Roll Halls of Fame

Doug Denslowe said:

Mexico,
    What would I do without you digging up my "oldies"?I didn't know I owed you a Thank You until I read Moon's comment.Ironically this has gotten more replies and heat than Ghostrider which for some reason doesn't read as exciting as it plays.I wrote all my Western Themed songs (I'm not gonna argue with Kathy B.over this being a Western or not!)at the same time,so we didnt develop them as well as we might have.Ghostrider rocked the house so much the crowd would sing out "GHOST RIDER"with me when I came to that part.You should hear the crazy tremolo bar wailing when both "Ghost"and "Rider"is played.Hopefully,soon,I'll be recording it for all to hear.

11. KathyB said:

I don't argue, life's to short, I know you can make any song any style, gosh studios these days can do wonders in any genre. You were just looking for what we thought and I gave you what I thought.
    Kathy

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    I don't argue, life's to short, I know you can make any song any style, gosh studios these days can do wonders in any genre. You were just looking for what we thought and I gave you what I thought.
    Kathy,
    Don't take it the wrong way,I appreciate your comments more than you'll ever know!Just because I don't put "lol"every time I speak,take my light-hearted comments like they're meant;light-hearted!It was more of a shout out than a putdown!I hope we're cool because I DO look forward to your Replies and read everything you say!

Teshka said:

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRide*r* View Post
    I think I heard some ZZ Top vocals somewhere in there...
    lol Doug when Moon gets in a certain kind of mood everything sounds like ZZ Top

but i must be stuck on something too bcs i can hear Johnny Cash singing this just as pain as day

PS, i'm very serious about that! not to suuggest that u'r copying anything at all, that's just how good the first 3 or 4 verses are.
    Music is what feelings sound like
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

14. mexico62 said:

Hey Doug, I just realized how wonderful work are all of you, lyrics writers, doing at ATL., perhaps you notice too, as we don´t hear the music, we can imagine any kind and style we want, so, all your songs have thousands of interpretations, depending on the reader´s imagination, that is amazing if you agree with me. Hope we can hear soon your recording for all these great songs, they will be all time classics, I´m pretty sure. Gracias amigo.

Doug Denslowe said:

Tess,
    When someone can hear Johnny Cash singing your song,I consider that High Praise!To hear him sing it in "pain as day"has got "plain as day"beat by a mile!!!Thanks Tess,that was "painfully sweet!!"
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 10-06-2012 at 11:37 PM.

MoonRide*r* said:

Quote Originally Posted by Teshka View Post
    ... just as pain as day

Man she's gonna fall all over herself when she sees your post and then realizes what she did.

But yeah, I can see what she means. Especially moving from the first verse into the second, and the verse that starts with "Posses tried to track him". Get on outa here Doug, you've got more star quality than you even realized!
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>

MoonRide*r* said:

Quote Originally Posted by mexico62 View Post
    ... so, all your songs have thousands of interpretations, depending on the reader´s imagination, that is amazing if you agree with me. Hope we can hear soon your recording for all these great songs...
    De acuerdo amigo, en todos tus puntos, y también sobre todo me gustaria escuchar la canción como Doug lo cantaba
    Doug: We love imagining our own tune and vocal and all, but we gotta hear you sing it!
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>

18. KathyB said:

@Doug....I hate the internet just for this reason..It can be so impersonal. I took it the right way. Im not mad not upset actually Im smiling cuz you responded instead of blowing me off. very cool. I'm new here so I am slowly trying to let you guys know who I am. I don't argue online not worth it and if I get mad Im gonna say Im mad and I need a "timeout"........and Ive only had that happen once when someone attacked me on another forum. The music industry is such a personal one, it can hurt when people make comments about your work. That is why sometimes my comments are small cuz if I can't relate or can't find a positive way to something I have tendency of not commenting at all. Its all good!!
    Kathy

Teshka said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    Tess,
    When someone can hear Johnny Cash singing your song,I consider that High Praise!To hear him sing it in "pain as day"has got "plain as day"beat by a mile!!!Thanks Tess,that was "painfully sweet!!"
    omg well i'm just glad that you got the point
    Music is what feelings sound like
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Frankie Jasmine said:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
    Pretty creepy but nonetheless an inspired story. Sends chills up your spine.

Jim
    Jim, I'm 100% with you--see post #2. ("Great minds" and all . . . )