Gravedigger Kid

Thread: Gravedigger Kid

Tags: doug denslowe song, gravedigger kid, horror, westerns

amaryn said:

This is the kind of creepyness I can take- as elsewhere I told you Hitchcock drove me nearly insane at the age of 11.
    I can see Clint Eastwood's kid digging and digging.....and godbless Clint didnot sing: that would have given extra vibes

2. Peter Both said:

Doug, you really are a master of this kind of story songs! My fave line: 'When he left you dying, he'd be humming Home on the Range'.

Tania15 said:

It is just amazing (like all your songs). Like KathyB, I imagined it metal at first. But then I thought about Johnny Cash's style. Western, country, rock or metal, this song is one of the best I've ever read.
    The journey has begun. "Nothing safe is worth the drive."

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by amaryn View Post
    This is the kind of creepyness I can take- as elsewhere I told you Hitchcock drove me nearly insane at the age of 11.
    I can see Clint Eastwood's kid digging and digging.....and godbless Clint didnot sing: that would have given extra vibes
    First off,let me thank both Tania and Peter for Replying on this Thread,I appreciate it.Now to Amaryn's point of "godbless Clint did not sing"oh,contraire my friend!Clint sang in many of his(and others)movies.I had to look this up,to be sure I got it right.First in 1961 we had"Rawhide's Clint Eastwood Sings Cowboy Favorites"He also released a single called "Unknown Girl".In "Paint Your Wagon"he sang a duet with Lee Marvin!In "Kelly's Heroes"he had a minor hit with"Burning Bridges".In 1981's"Honkytonk Man"he released another single"Cowboy in a Three Piece Suit"In the film "Bronco Billy"he sang a duet with Merle Haggard called"Barroom Buddies".In"Any Which Way You Can"he had a duet with Ray Charles called "Beers To You"This is only a partial list of the singing in films and T.V.Shows,recordings etc.that Clint has been involved in.I always say"Give Credit When it's Due!"

amaryn said:

I actually meant it that way, Doug: To have Clint sing with that special voice of his in a graveyard would have given the movie
    an extra thrill, an effect that wasn't considered ...... But it was just my imagination, that's all

Doug Denslowe said:

If I find Clint's address,I'll send him a copy of the Lyrics.I wont hold my breath waiting to hear back,but who knows?!

7. MrGore said:

ok im gonna be completely honest, the line about humming home on the range gives me goosebumps, it reminds me of a horror movie i saw a while back, i cant remember what it was called, but everytime the killer came around there was a record of, i believe it was, hank williams sr playing, just one of those your know you're screwed bits, like the ki ki ki ma ma ma jason voorhees has got, awesome stuff dude, i feel like you and i may be on a similar wave lenth, have you ever listened to ghoultown? i think you'd prolly dig em, no pun intended

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by MrGore View Post
    ok im gonna be completely honest, the line about humming home on the range gives me goosebumps, it reminds me of a horror movie i saw a while back, i cant remember what it was called, but everytime the killer came around there was a record of, i believe it was, hank williams sr playing, just one of those your know you're screwed bits, like the ki ki ki ma ma ma jason voorhees has got, awesome stuff dude, i feel like you and i may be on a similar wave lenth, have you ever listened to ghoultown? i think you'd prolly dig em, no pun intended
    MG,you know,that line was meant to send shivers down one's spine,but you're the only person who commented on it!I knew these songs would appeal to you,that's why I asked you to check them out.I thank you for being so kind.I will be looking out for your next entry.

jessie zuppo said:

Doug,

I love how you merged your kooky sense of humor into something that EVERYONE can enjoy! I LOVE the chorus! The ending is so ridiculously funny that it allows the reader to be, just for a moment, inside your head...in this piece you have opened up, you have allowed yourself to be vulnerable and this unique character trait is what can make or break a songwriter/poet. For you, it works..you took a chance and you owned this piece of work! Thank you for showing this to me! much love, jessie