Solved: Please help me find this song about a crazy sailor and a sea creature

Thread: Solved: Please help me find this song about a crazy sailor and a sea creature

Tags: None
  1. rickirock said:

Default Solved: Please help me find this song about a crazy sailor and a sea creature

Hi All,

I only remember the music video. It is set in a tavern. It starts with a sailor who has lost a limb, namely is arm. He goes up to a group of men and re-tells his encounter with a sea monster. The music video changes and now we watch his sea voyage. Everyone laughs and is in disbelief as he re-tells the story. No one believes the story. At the end, as he finishes the story no one believes him but an old man comes over and puts his wooden leg on the table to reaffirm the truth of the story.

I would consider the song to be a rock song. It was quite popular in Australia a number of years ago. I think the band is from America.

Regards,
    Aaron
  2. Fence Sitter said:

A quick question, did you view the clip on free to air tv or somewhere else?
  3. rickirock said:

Hi Fence

I watched the music video on Free Air TV. In Australia on ABC on Saturday morning we have a music programme called Rage. I saw it on Rage. I remember first hearing the song in 2007, or sometime around there.

During the start and end of the song, the singer is not rapping per se, rather singing in a quick speaking kind of way.

Regards,
    Aaron
  4. Fence Sitter said:

That's a good start, That's what I was hoping for, as Rage actually list the songs, so long as it wasn't a segment on ABC2 when they used to temporarily play rage segments. (Yeah I believe one I'm looking for was on Rage2 ie on ABC2)

http://www.abc.net.au/rage/playlist/2007.htm

I'm having a look through the Friday entries which list Saturday mornings for any song that might fit.

Another question, was part of the clip animated?

Anyhow I'll keep looking through the play lists for any likely candidates.
  5. rickirock said:

Hi Fence,

I definitely remember watching the music video in the morning (Saturday and Sunday) segment of Rage.

When the lead singer retells his story, the music video does not become an animation but it reminds me of scenes from Old Greg from The Mighty Boosh.

Thanks for your assistance mate.

Regards,
    Aaron
  6. Fence Sitter said:

I've had a look through the Friday listings. I assumed male vocals and looked for song titles that might relate to such a clip I came up empty, but chances are the title doesn't have anything to do with their clip.

There's a couple of song titles which there is no clip as per a video release, such as King Brother's "Monster
  7. rickirock said:

Hi Fence,

I agree. I do not think the title of the song has anything to do with the music video. Unfortunately King Brother's Monster is not the song. It is so hard to find a song without any lyrics.

Thanks again.

Regards,
    Aaron
  8. Fence Sitter said:

"without any lyrics"

"quick speaking kind of way"

I assume you meant without proper singing, and not a song that is purely instrumental.

It is strange the clip should have made the song memorable, but for the life of me, I just don't remember it.
  9. frame13245 said:
  10. rickirock said:

Yes that is the song.

Frame, you sir, are a legend.

I would like to say a special thanks to Fence for your help.

Thanks again.

Regards,
    Aaron
  11. Fence Sitter said:

You're welcome rickrock.

I would say a special thanks frame. As it turns out I'm not able to recollect ever having seen or heard it before, probably because it was slotted 3 out of the 5 times it aired on Rage, between 5 and 6 in the morning. My search would have probably would have dragged on for a number of days, and even then I doubt I would have found it.