Love is a gamble
    A roll of the dice
    I took a chance
    And paid the price

Now you're gone
    This time forever
    Although you taught me
    Never say never
    Never..............Ever..............Never........ ......Ever...............
    Never...............Ever.............Never Say Never (never say never)<background echo

When I think of
    The pain I took
    Just because of
    The way you look
    Always taking
    Never giving
    You think the world
    Owes you a living

Now you're gone
    This time forever
    Although you taught me
    Never Say Never
    Never...............Ever...............Never...... .........Ever...............
    Never...............Ever...............Never Say Never (never say never)<background echo

Too young and pretty
    For a guy like me
    Guess it doesn't matter
    Its plain to see
    Go my darling
    Go back to school
    Take all the classes
    Learn to be cool

Now you're gone
    This time forever
    Although you taught me
    Never Say Never
    Never...............Ever...............Never Say Never (never say never)<background echo

I used to love to
    Spoil you so
    But I stopped caring
    A long time ago
    Had me fooled
    For awhile
    With fairytales
    And a paste-on smile

Now you're gone
    This time forever
    Although you taught me
    Never Say Never

Now you're just
    An old memory
    Good luck,farewell
    Forget about me
    Getting over you
    Was more than easy
    Got a new girl
    To love and please me

Now you're gone
    This time forever
    Although you taught me
    Never Say Never (never say never)<background echo
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 04-14-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Never.............Ever............

Frankie Jasmine said:

Not bad, Doug! Your lyrics are simple, but ring true. I "hear" the "Never Say Never" refrain as standing out quite different from the rest of the song, maybe even sung by a female or another voice with a relatively dramatic "change" musically from the rest of the lyrics. (As you say, even as an echo . . . )

I do think it needs a bridge, unless I am reading the lyrics 'sans bridge' and there's already one in there. Just a little change of pace/tempo from the main tune and the chorus, a little music and/or lyrics bridge to make for extra interest about 3/4 through.

Hope you don't mind my honesty. I can dial it back if I am being too strong.

Doug Denslowe said:

I love it!I wish I could sing it to you,the "never ever,never ever "part is sung SO differently than the verse.Then the "Never Say Never"is different from the "never ever"part.My songs have all been worked on with guitar players and this was a favorite of theirs.
    Think of the 60's group The Zombies for vocal influence (Tell Her No;Time of the Season)No,don't dial back anything,I can take it or defend it.Once again,thanks,you're the best.
    Example:the verse goes pretty much 2/4,the never........ever..........never..........ever.... .........Never............ever.............
    Never Say Never(never say never)<echo background.There,I hope that helps a little.
    It's got more melody than a drummer has any business to write!Doug
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 07-01-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Will digest and comment later; if I don't, please remind me!

Frankie Jasmine said:

Totally get it now, "Never say never" and the "never ever" are not the same. This adds plenty of spice/interest musically.

And "bridge" is perhaps not the word I actually meant. I may have been thinking of "hook." But the point is moot now, because whatever "musical phrase" I was referring to, I now retract because it is not needed!

Good to hear so many guitarists like this song too. I wish you success with it.

Johnb31 said:

I really like this song it has great flow and keeps the reader interested good job!

7. mexico62 said:

Hi Doug, I think that the plot is not so simple, I was reading the chorus, and thinking, this man is so sad cause he misses his girl, she was everything for him, and almost at the end, sudenly you tell her "I've got a new girl", thatīs like a bomb, she was your teacher and now you gave her a spoon of her own soup, cause you didnīt close the door, you never said never to a new chance to do a new life. your the best student she taught you never say never and you did so. (all this talking just about the story in the song). Good lyrics, I wish I could hear some of your songs cause Iīm not so good understanding the about tablatures, times, etc., of music. You are a number one, gracias amigo Doug.

Doug Denslowe said:

After googling "tablatures"all I can respond is,I wish you could too.The lyrics,JUST DON'T get the emotion this song is sung with.The Never..........Ever............Never............Ev er.............Never...............Ever........... ..Never Say Never is sung with such passion,it's impossible to "get" by simply reading the lyrics.Several people have asked me if I wasn't afraid of someone stealing my songs/song lyrics.Not really,you see,these songs have great musical parts as well,so if someone can take my song lyrics and make good music,I couldn't be happier for them.I,obvious haven't been able to even find a band to join,so why have my lyrics sit and do nothing?Like I say at the end of some of my songs;put music to these lyrics,get rich,get famous.P.S.mexico62:the last verse was me lying to her,in truth,I didn't want her to think she left me in so much pain.I wanted her to think,"He doesn't need me,maybe I should take another look".I just didn't want to appear pathetic!!!
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 07-11-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: For closer insight

9. mexico62 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    After googling "tablatures"all I can respond is,I wish you could too.The lyrics,JUST DON'T get the emotion this song is sung with.The Never..........Ever............Never............Ev er.............Never...............Ever........... ..Never Say Never is sung with such passion,it's impossible to "get" by simply reading the lyrics.Several people have asked me if I wasn't afraid of someone stealing my songs/song lyrics.Not really,you see,these songs have great musical parts as well,so if someone can take my song lyrics and make good music,I couldn't be happier for them.I,obvious haven't been able to even find a band to join,so why have my lyrics sit and do nothing?Like I say at the end of some of my songs;put music to these lyrics,get rich,get famous.P.S.mexico62:the last verse was me lying to her,in truth,I didn't want her to think she left me in so much pain.I wanted her to think,"He doesn't need me,maybe I should take another look".I just didn't want to appear pathetic!!!
    Hi Doug, now you just made me remember "Iīm not in love" by 10 C.c., cause the singer say to the girl that he donīt love her anymore, but all the song we see that he is still loving her so. This comparition (hope I wrote it right), make me think that you should try to add a new paragraph, to tell her that you are sorry, that you are still waiting and will wait for her all of your life if it is necessary, or at least a hint that let her know that you still love her. But think it twice, I donīt want to change the meaning you tried first to this lyrics. One more thing, I know that you want to share this with all the world, but you must go to register your works, I donīt know where, but must be an office that make all this for you. Hasta luego (means, see you soon).

10. mexico62 said:

Hi again Doug. I was wondering, and as I told you before, I donīt want to change the way you write or compose your songs, cause I know that our poems and songs are like our children, we love them as we are, they are bornt (or borned) from our mind, after days and nights of non sleep. So I respect a lot what you do, but only trying to help a little, I wrote some words that could help to tell the girl that you still love her, of course they are not so good, you know that Iīm not good still making rhymes in english, hope you understand this is just trying to help, here they go:

You used to play
    like little girls use to do
    so when come and look for me
    when you are grown up

cause I could never forget you
    and as your taugth me one day
    hope you learned at last
    we will be together all of our lives

and now I will teach you back to never say never, never say never...
    together ever and forever

Doug Denslowe said:

Thanks for your Comments,mexico62.I appreciate the time you took to Reply to me.The one thing I think you're missing in this song is;never..........ever...........never............ .ever............never............ever............ .Never Say Never;means there is always the hope of getting back together!!!That's the whole point of the Title/Chorus Never give up hope.Never say you will Never get back together again!This song is suppose to be about hope,without looking too desperate.If I didn't get that across,then I failed as a song writer.My message is/was Never Say Never.......you just never know(where love will lead you)Do you?P.S.Don't you love that line,"paste-on smile"?I love it!
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 07-13-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Paste-on smile comment

12. mexico62 said:

Hi Doug, you are so right, excuse me, I was so wrong, cause Iīm just trying to improve my english, but now it make a lot of sense to me, I misunderstood the last part thatīs why I was thinking that you really had a new girl. I wish I could her it, if you or someone else could make video for us please let us know. We are so excited to hear your songs. thank you for being so patient and explain to me, you are the best friend, gracias amigo, saludos.

Doug Denslowe said:

My pleasure,Amigo!If I ever get something to watch or listen to,you'll be the first to know.Hopefully I'll record some of my posted songs and some I haven't posted.Never Say Never!!!

curiosity_kills_the_cat said:

Now, is there someone who wouldn't like this?
    Ok, let me speak for myself...I can really identify wwith the song, hmmm.

(I'm feeling country like Trisha Yearwood)

jessie zuppo said:

Thumbs up love it!!

Doug, I love the "fire" visual...how far from the truth is that?? You took some liberties there, which of course is fine, It's part of the creative process. I guess I don't know how to respond to this-knowing that it's about me,lol. I guess I was quite a spitfire in my 20s and we were quite a 'bi-polar' couple!

I love the lyrics though and it's full of emotion, broken heart, misgivings, and betrayal. All things that come together to make the 'perfect storm' of a good song. The bitter tone stings a bit, but that's more on a personal level, rather than that of my "professional" feedback, lol.

I would like to see a "never say never" Part II...

"Never say Never" .Hmm. (Does that mean he is still loving her,somehow?)

jessie zuppo said:

Exactly!! That's how I felt as well mexico2! AND I'M THE GIRL HE WROTE ABOUT...the gifts that one person gives to another throughout the duration of a relationship can allow you to see the world from a different viewpoint, open your mind about music, literature, religion, etc...these are gifts and they are priceless...Of course I got no gratification by hurting Doug- but if he never wrote some of these poems, I would never have known I hurt him in the least. He did an excellent job of hiding that!! In that respect, I admire him and his work. What he cannot articulate verbally, he can put pen to paper and use that gift as a therapeutic tool.... I think the 'got a new girl' reflects the pain he was in and the inner deep-seeded need to cover up that vulnerability.

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity_kills_the_cat View Post
    "Never say Never" .Hmm. (Does that mean he is still loving her,somehow?)
    Cat........now that she's tracked me down,that would be telling!Let's just say "You Never Know"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    Cat........now that she's tracked me down,that would be telling!Let's just say "You Never Know"!!
    Oh! I get the whole picture now having read Jessie's comments, should have known better than to ask THAT question.

Poetry can always help you out, direct, veiled or cryptic, you can still manage an answer.

(Now, Jess wants to know)

jessie zuppo said:

I'm actually OK with "not knowing", lol! Ignorance is purely blissful...also the mystique and ambiguity of Doug's work and of his overall demeanor would never allow this question to be answered....the writer within him knows that suspense and mystery lie at the heart of any epic work! We ALL want that to be revealed, but then once it is, there's a sense of disappointment of knowing...not knowing is much better!