GREEK POEM: Κρίση Παρακμής (=Decay Crisis)

Thread: GREEK POEM: Κρίση Παρακμής (=Decay Crisis)

Tags: None
  1. Zakynthos said:

Default GREEK POEM: Κρίση Παρακμής (=Decay Crisis)

ηξββξ
    Last edited by Zakynthos; 04-20-2020 at 07:09 AM.

Amethystos said:

Default It would have been great if....

It would had been great if you suggested, a free-style translation to english of this one.
    (Remember that ATL members who care about you may be interested in knowing your effort)
    It would also had been good to insert somme commas, wouldn't it?

And now some Greek ....

Μια χαρά οι στροφές 1-5-6-7.
    Συνέχισε, μια και είσαι πρωτοπόρος εδώ μέσα!
    Last edited by Amethystos; 07-06-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

3. Zakynthos said:

Σ' ευχαριστώ πολύ για το σχόλιο!

Frankie Jasmine said:

Dear Zakynthos,

The title and poem make me think this poem is not about a relationship, but something much larger--like the love of a land/country.
    Assuming this meaning is accurate (of course, I could be wrong), it makes a strong poem. Of course, correct me if I am wrong. But often poetry speaks different ways to different people, a part of the art of poetry (and other arts also, I often say this).

I so much enjoy poetry put into English from another language. It has a totally different "feel" to me than English writers. Expressions are used that are not normally used in English and--when done well (I will give an example), have a more beautiful impact. "Nothing will make my eyes wet." This is a phrase which, said in plain English could be trite: "Nothing can make me cry." How much more descriptive and the picture it brings to mind with the words you use.

This is one thing that I hope ATL's writers from original-non-English languages will keep intact . . . expressions from their own language which sound fantastic in English, so much better than everyday English! Maintaining these expressions also (as long as they make sense in English, and yours does) broadens the sights of English speakers; can open our eyes to other ways of saying things, thinking of things; and helps us to get a sense of expressions from other countries, even though (thankfully) translated into English. Without the translation, I could not know your poem at all.
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 09-18-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: I often leave off the "r" on "your"--consistent typo

5. Zakynthos said:

Sometimes, some expressions are used both in English and Greek, fortunately. If I don't search it on Google, I don't know whether it makes sense or not. Another problem is the word order. I noticed that in the English language, there is not much freedom on where to put a word in a sentence.
    You were so right, saying that the poem is about something larger, and close to what I had on my mind. Actually, I'm tired of people, those who don't appreciate life, those who don't know how to live, those who don't believe in love. Here, it includes personal elements of my life. The core of the poem, though, is uncertainty about the future along with strong optimism for a better tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your opinion.
    Last edited by Zakynthos; 07-26-2012 at 05:25 AM.

6. mexico62 said:

Hi Zakynthos and thank you for sharing your beautiful poem with all of us, even though in english and spanish we have a lot of words with greek roots, most of them in science of philosophy, as Frankie Jasmine said, if you havenīt translated, we would be incapables to understand your poem.
    The beauty of poetry is that not all the time we have the every day phrases, nor the complete meaning of the writerīs thoughts, thatīs the beautiful part of poetry, we can adapt it to our own experience. Like a painting, we must make our interpretation, like this that for me seems to go from the particular, and then develops to the general, thanks again, excellent work.

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zakynthos View Post
    Σ' ευχαριστώ πολύ για το σχόλιο!
    It's all Greek to me!

8. Zakynthos said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    It's all Greek to me!
    It means: "Thanks a lot for the comment!"