Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

well there is one movie with Robert that i have never seen?? lol....at least not that i can remember....but i know now that i have to see it!
    Music is what feelings sound like
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teshka View Post

@Frankie, yea she's my fave in that whole family! and actually she's the only that i even like in that family

Tysm guys!!
    I feel similarly! I pick up on the whole past family dysfunction of The Judds (though they are stars here, you know), but Ashley is the only one I would really want to be friends with--if that opportunity was open to me! She is so herself, not "Hollywood" or putting on for the camera.
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 08-10-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Thanks

yea i remember that the mom and the other daughter were very big when I was growing up in Virginia (with my aunt) altho they didn't get much play in DC (with my Dad). I never thought much of the other sister as a singer but i'm not at all a good judge of mainstream-top 40 country music. but as for Ashley i love every movie of hers that i've ever seen and it seems that i can identify with her in many ways as well
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teshka View Post
    lol that is so funny arsi bcs there is a scene in T.H.'s old movie "Joe Versus the Volcano" where Moon looooooves to sing that "Cowboy" song.....

loooool we all have our weird sides T.H is no different plus he gets paid to be wierd there its coooooool :P
    My bestieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thanks

i just saw tht u can point from history too lol this guy is my historical twin the one from whom i got my name so ive always looked up to him ALP ARSLAN
    alp-arslan2.jpg
    kurtbakisi_133148310340.jpg
    alparslan.jpg
    220px-AlpArslanTurkey.jpg

u can read about him here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alp_Arslan skip the death part u might now wanna read tht :P
    My bestieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thanks

^-^ I think I've actually seen all those pics before!
    Fascinating history, that period and everything associated with it. Great choice!
    But ok yeah... I'll bypass the death scene, thank you

All: Tess's Dad is visiting for the weekend, so our topic host will be tied up until tomorrow night. But I know she'll catch up as soon as she can.
    There is no glamour in sudden death, and nobody ever wins a war.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>
    ROCK 'n' Roll Halls of Fame

Thanks

Default My Childhood Emotional Doppelganger - Frankie Jasmine

Most of my life I've known . . . not for a million dollars would I be 12-yrs-old again. Actually, nobody could pay me enough money to go back to any childhood age. When I first saw the movie on TV (afternoon--old movies!), "The Member of the Wedding," when I was 12, the adolescent character named Frankie spoke for me. In my life, I was allowed no voice. Frankie suffered. But the anti-hero Frankie had a voice, and she yelled and tantrumed for me, from the first time I saw this movie til now. Frankie screamed and emoted on behalf of my childlike self; she knew the pain I felt but I could not give voice to.

In this clip, Berenice, who looks after Frankie while her father works, tells about the death of her own long-deceased, first-husband Ludie . . . but with a warning message for Frankie. Frankie believes when her adult brother Jarvis comes back to town to marry his fiance' Janice, the couple will sweep her out of her ratty, old environment, take her to live in ecstasy with them . . . then they will be "Jarvis and Janice and 'Jasmine'--That'll be my name--'Jasmine.' Then all our names will start the same letter, 'J' . . . "

Member of the Wedding opening narrative:

It happened that green and crazy summer when Frankie was 12-years-old. This was the summer when for a long time she had not been a member. She belonged to no club and was a member of nothing in the world. Frankie had become an un-joined person, and she was afraid. And then, on the last Friday of August, all this was changed. It was so sudden that Frankie puzzled the whole blank afternoon, and still she did not understand.
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 08-21-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Add Opening Narrative

Thanks

Looks like our host(ess) has been neglecting this thread lately but I guarantee this one will get some attention ^-^

:
    Rockers Unite! =>

Thanks

<3333333
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Thanks

<3333333

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post

... She belonged to no club and was a member of nothing in the world. Frankie had become an un-joined person, and she was afraid...
    Every time I've read or watched the video, I've anchored on that thought as something all too familiar. It's been ages since I've seen that movie, and now I'm wanting to watch it again. But as the younger brother of a domineering older one (hence my perpetually rebellious nature), I think I would identify (at that age) as the little brother rather than Frankie... while also probably being able to sense and even connect with Frankie's disjoined-ness, but never quite knowing what to say or do.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRide*r* View Post
    <3333333
    Every time I've read or watched the video, I've anchored on that thought as something all too familiar. It's been ages since I've seen that movie, and now I'm wanting to watch it again. But as the younger brother of a domineering older one (hence my perpetually rebellious nature), I think I would identify (at that age) as the little brother rather than Frankie... while also probably being able to sense and even connect with Frankie's disjoined-ness, but never quite knowing what to say or do.

Yes, the precise lines you quote are literary gold, to me.
    The little guy is Frankie's cousin, John Henry. So, yes, you probably would identify with his sweet nature. But you probably don't recall the whole story. This is one of the very, very few cases where I feel the movie is actually better than the book--the movie version with Ethel Waters and a 30-yr-old Julie Harris as "Frankie." I recently read a criticism of her portrayal; the editor also felt she looked like an adult woman and over-acted the part. I totally disagree. I was 12 at the time I saw it; all I saw was a gangly, ugly girl, who had fits of temper that sounded like what was locked-up inside of me. Being 12, I would have picked up on the portrayal of "Frankie" as not believable as a 12-yr-old girl. She seemed it to me! And nearly all 12-yr-old girls--despite their circumstances--are full of angst and emotions anyway. At least that's my experience in life over the many years . . .

Thanks

I completely disagree with that critic too. I didn't have any idea she was that old.

Tess has told me a little about what she was like at 12... but she had lost her mom by then (actually two moms) and that definitely influenced where she was at.... but I remember when I was 12, I was totally clueless on just about everything. I didn't even know enough to care how stupid I was
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>

Thanks

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: "The Member of The Wedding" will be shown on TCM--TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES--the first week of September, I think. I found it yesterday, but don't have access to the info right now. "Member" is only sold on video-cassette and at a high price because of its being a classic and not singly available on DVD. HOWEVER, I ordered a DVD set by that director, which includes "Member," "Thousand Fingers of Dr. T," and "Wild One," along with some other movies as a set for only $11.95 at Amazon.com!

Don't forget--check Turner Classic Movies SOON if you want to see this classic on TV. TiVo it, record it, whatever. I hope you like it as much as I do--it is depressing Southern literary drama set to film, which I'm a sucker for!!!

Thanks

Default The Member of the Wedding - COMING TO TV AGAIN!

ANNOUNCEMENT: Anyone wanting to see "The Member of the Wedding," Carson McCullers's 1952 film of her Southern novel by the same name, on TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES (TCM)--it will be aired U.S. Eastern Time:

THE MEMBER OF THE WEDDING
    SEPTEMBER 12, 2012
    6:15pm - 8:00 pm

This classic Southern film is not sold or rented invididually on DVD. A video-cassette recording costs $35.

So try to see it if you like gritty, gloomy classic Southern stories!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12