Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Tess:

Churchill and Douglas Adams sounds like a real combo.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the meaningless flolloping onwards of life that gives the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal a reason to get up in the morning."

"Never, never, never give up - until your planet is pulverised by a Vogon constructor fleet."

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the distant dream of a nightmare in which the beginning begins to consider to begin ending."
    Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks

Finally! This topic is starting to make sense!

And the only real question left is, "Where shall we have lunch?"

There is no glamour in sudden death, and nobody ever wins a war.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>
    ROCK 'n' Roll Halls of Fame

Haven't the foggiest, but I will be there - having successfully resolved why to have lunch

Thanks

I appreciate the choice spelling of "pulverised"... hopefully it will serve as a suitable bribe for a certain moderator, who may actually enjoy watching Vogons pulverise the occasional wayward planet.

As to "where", the dolphins will tell us soon enough
    There is no glamour in sudden death, and nobody ever wins a war.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>
    ROCK 'n' Roll Halls of Fame

Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,680 Posts

Feeling placated so I'm inviting you all to Hare and Tortoise, Central London for some nice oriental food - I hear the Americans are quite partial to sushi?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OrchestraInside View Post
    Tess:

Churchill and Douglas Adams sounds like a real combo...

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the distant dream of a nightmare in which the beginning begins to consider to begin ending."
    I never finished reading the whole book and have not focused on the movie for myself, but watching my always-otherwise-So-Serious Dad watch the movie is some of the best entertainment that I've ever had!!
    Music is what feelings sound like
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalestina View Post
    Feeling placated so I'm inviting you all to Hare and Tortoise, Central London for some nice oriental food - I hear the Americans are quite partial to sushi?

What a nice thing to do Viva but if you change "the Americans" to "some Americans" you would be a lot closer to the truth
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Thanks

My apologies Tess! Me no like sushi for those like me Tori Katsu mmmmmmmmm

Thanks

NP and ya that works for me too
    i like or can eat almost anything Japanese except sushi....some Thai dishes are good or great....don't like anything Korean that i've tried but that isn't much.....and believe or not i love a well-made Chinese egg drop soup.

omg i am so hungry now
    Last edited by Teshka; 12-02-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: cant type!!!!!
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Well, I'll see y'all at the Restaurant at the End of... For a salad, surely! Although some may protest...

Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Thanks

Whoa, the topics have defo lightened recently!

Thanks

Default The Second Most Powerful Gun Lobby in the Country is Located in Newtown, Conn.

Article by Jordan Sargent

Today's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn. happened in the shadow of the headquarters of one of the biggest gun lobbies in the country: the National Shooting Sports Foundation, which is just three miles away from the school. The NSSF pales in both stature and power to the NRA, but they still actively work to ease laws and regulations for gun owners and supporters.

Lydia DePillis of The New Republic reports that the NSSF has spent over $500,000 in 2012 on pro-gun lobbying (compared to the NRA's $2.2 million), most of which went to a D.C. lobbyist.

The lion's share of that went to Patrick Rothwell, the group's director of government relations, who served for three years as chief of staff to the House Republican Policy Committee. He spent a lot of time this year working on legislation that would prevent the Environmental Protection Agency from regulating chemicals in gun ammunition and fishing equipment, and the organization has backed a slew of concealed-carry bills.

DePillis also reports that the NSSF spent $26,000 this campaign season and is frequently consulted by reporters writing facile "he said, she said" stories to give a pro-gun point of view. The foundation takes in $26 million per year and its CEO makes over $300,000 per year.

The NSSF's location in Newtown is an incidental coincidence, of course, but an unfortunate one nonetheless in light of today's events.

Thanks

It took the deaths of small children in the U.K for guns to be outlawed, I understand the constitution in the USA is more rigid and not as flexible as ours, but I hope in the light of this tragedy, the American public will mobilise their sadness to make firearms illegal.

Thanks

I'm sorry but I must disagree that this is an issue of legality, as much as my heart breaks for those small children and for all of those who were caught up in the middle of it, and now especially for the parents that have lost the most precious part of their lives that could have been taken from them.....but how often is something like this outrageously senseless tragedy happen with illegal weapons which are almost as easy to get as legal weapons, actually even easier bcs when you buy and register a gun in the USA there is a ton of regulatory stuff that you have to go through.....as I know, bcs after I was nearly killed by a beast with his bare hands more than 4 years ago, I own a handgun myself and I would fight for all that i'm worth to keep it from being taken from me.

Criminals and abhorent violence will always exist regardless of and outside the boundaries of law and order. There is more to facts and reality than numbers can ever show bcs criminality exists beyond the reach of all of the facts-gathering that anyone could ever do. This is only about the condition of the human soul both individually and collectively, because the saddest thing is that We (society) create those kinds of people that would invoke the kind of insanely senseless tragedy that happened in Connecticut. Its a sad testimony of our own wretched condition as much as it is about what is lawful or not.

Yes I very much believe that assault weapons such as AK-47s ("The World's Favourite Killing Machine") should be 100% illegal for anyone to purchase or sell or own or even play with as a replica, but that would not nearly solve everything or anything.....not in the USA and not anywhere else in the world.....I am not a fatalist on this kind of subject but I just believe that to blame governments is to misproject the real problem which is the way that we raise or fail to raise our children all across societies in every corner of the world.....as I have been learning more and more about recently, so much that i feel more ashamed than ever of being part of the human race. We teach our children and students violence and hate at home first and then who knows where life will lead them outside of the home bcs they have not been taught the most important foundations of how to love and respect rather than to hate and destroy. I didn't mean to go on and on so much but tbh almost the entire human race disgusts me as I think about all that i have seen and heard in recent weeks and months....as well as my own personal experience.
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

On behalf of the human race, I am glad to have you onboard, Tess.

From a European vantage point, this issue looks very different on the two sides of the Pond. I sometimes wonder if there simply is more violence in the U.S.? There certainly are more firearm-related killings, as exemplified by this List of countries by firearm-related death rate. The numbers indicate deaths per 100,000 people where the U.S. (9.00, of which homicides 2.98, suicides 5.75 and unintentional 0.27) is way ahead of the EU, which is spearheaded by Finland (3.64, of which homicides 0.26, suicides 3.34 and unintentional 0.02). The EU average is more like ~2, with the rest of Scandinavia being about half of Finland's rate, or around 1.5 (mostly suicides), and the UK has hardly any at all - 0.25, of which 0.04 homicides and 0.17 suicides. Gun ownership is pretty much illegal in the UK. Switzerland (which isn't in the EU) has the highest rate in Western Europe, 6.40, and virtually every adult male is issued an assault rifle and/or a semi-automatic pistol for their militia-like armed forces. 5.61 of these deaths are suicides. (Of course, the death rate per 100,000 people in any country is, ultimately, 100,000. We can merely debate and affect the timing and means, nothing more.)

I've lived in a number of EU countries and grew up in the "most violent" of them according to the statistics above, and I've never seen a firearm (well, apart from when I was in the military) nor feared for my life. A neighbour in our little village in Finland did shoot himself and his family when he found out his wife had been cheating on him, but I didn't really know them. The idea of carrying weapons in order to protect myself certainly seems far-fetched to me (and I've lived in Russia, too), and I think that in this regard, there is a very fundamental difference between the U.S. and the EU. I wonder if there simply is so much more violence in the U.S. that a lot more people feel the need to protect themselves? To me, the idea of shooting someone breaking into my house seems absurd, but I'm sure that to a lot of Americans, it is a sad reality. Perhaps burglars in the U.S. are more likely to carry firearms and more likely to use violence? Could it be that the average criminal in the U.S. is more violent than the average criminal in the EU? Just wondering...

As a father, I find it impossible to imagine the loss of the parents, siblings, teachers, friends and others in Newtown. My thoughts and prayers are with them, and while I share much of your sentiments towards this weird, weird race of ours, Tess, I hope that one day, Machiavelli will no longer be correct. It is, sadly, quite possible that these very wounds in the souls of the surviving may one day contribute to new wounds in others.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2012 at 03:33 AM.

Thanks

ok last post before boarding my plane. I do understand your point Tess as you were a victim on extreme violence. but still have you been asked to do psychotests or to have 25 hours training with experienced teacher? I don't want to even think what would happen if the monster had a gun instead of bare hands. I do agree the idea of having gun for protection is far fetched.the gun you own can be easily used against you especially if the oponent is stronger and faster.
    The issue is that different states have different gun laws. There are states you don't have to have gun licence to carry gun on public.

yes there is a problem in our society. parents have less time for their kids. kids have less personal interaction more computer games where killing of your enemy is not only normal but also praised! But still if they don't have easy access to guns at home there will be less evil in their path.

Thanks

Seconded Ola. Maybe the US is totally different to the UK, but I cant visualise keeping a gun myself for protection. Maybe because (thankfully) violence is not as widespread? My initial instinct for someone forcing entry into my house would be to chuck a vase at him.

I think the root causes of the violence needs to be worked on for the American public to stop feeling the need to have such a form of protection, but I also do believe that firearms being illegalised will in the long term help the violence rate go down.

Tess - I'm sorry. Really, I hate sofa politics, none of us have the right to treat your experience as a statistic. Wouldnt you feel safer if America grew tough on violence? If the monsters were considered a threat to society and not given light sentences as seen on the news? Like Ofratko said, I'd hate to imagine a monster getting hold of a gun (or any form of weapon), safer buildings, greater protection, minimising time alone, dont they make you feel safer than keeping a firearm on you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ofratko View Post
    .. more computer games where killing of your enemy is not only normal but also praised! ..
    I never understood this point, this has always been around, we've all played computer games, some where you jump and dodge things to prevent being 'killed off' or others where you're directly shooting and killing to prevent being 'killed off' yourself. It plays on your survival instincts not on making you a serial killer doesnt it? I dont think me or my cousins are any worse off for playing such computer games...i'm still a gentle person who cringes at any thought of physical violence, and flinches when watching a wrestling match.

Thanks

Thank you OI and Ofratko, i appreciate your opinions and feelings and experiences. OI i have to say that as i wrote my last most i was thinking about some of your writing, or a composite, but also those articles that you shared about Psychohistory, the Emotional Life of Nations and the one about child abuse, and what i was saying was that it's not so much about guns as it is about the collective insanities of the human race.

I was thinking as well that its always so easy for non-Americans to hold us up as worst examples of this or that, while so recently we here in America wondered (for example) how and why "Christians" in Ireland were bombing each other to death, and even reaching far beyond Ireland with that kind of madness, and why in the world-city of Paris there are zones where even the police will not go, and how in God's name can so many "civilized" people in this world can treat their young female children with such cruel ignorance?? Cutting them in the name of "protecting" them from their God-given natures, i am still so sickened and disgusted by so many things like that, that i have recently learned far too much about.......while also feeling that as an average American girl (except for that one isolated instant of my life) i feel that i have been "too sheltered" from the ugly realities of life among "humanity"......

I was also trying to say that putting the focus on guns in America is making the focus too narrow, bcs where there are not guns there is always something else. Thats just a very subjective feeling that i have............bcs i do not believe and will never believe that British or anyone else in this world are "better" than Americans in any way at all. I apologize for saying that i as do but this is how i often feel when i see how easily we can be criticized for this or that by people who have no idea what its like to live here. This country is life, love, security and comfort for me whereas the place that i came from might have easily been death for me, or worse, a living death.

I will never use the gun that i own bcs i could never bring myself to risk ending another person's life. It was only a reflex 4 years ago that i wanted to have it, and my Dad wanted me to have it also as a "reflex" of what had happened to me.....bcs of his irrational fear that anything like that would ever happen to me again....but it won't...and i believe that i would rather die myself than take anyone else's life. I just could not live with that.

Ofratko my friend i just don't believe that we can reduce evil at all by just taking guns away from people. and there are 315 million people in the USA and within that large number of people almost anything can happen on any given day....and in those instances there will always be news reporters close by who will present it in full color to the whole world a hundred times a day.
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalestina View Post
    Wouldnt you feel safer if America grew tough on violence? If the monsters were considered a threat to society and not given light sentences as seen on the news?
    No hun i really could not feel any safer than i already feel, regardless of that one tiny moment in my history....

No people like that don't usually get "light" sentences and i believe that some of that is presented in the news to just make it all look worse......i read some of the British, French and even Russian press online every now and then and i have to say or think that only half of what's often said is true. there are so many people in this world that just want to make us look bad.....for their own self-serving reasons. The older i get the more i have come to feel that way. I absolutely love where i live and i don't believe that i could feel any more safe or fulfilled anywhere else in the world.
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Thanks

I have to go soon (going to see my Dad in DC today) but i just want to say, i'm sorry for sounding so harsh in some of the things that i've said, and i always feel like i'm chatting with genuine caring friends who as a whole feel the same way that i do about almost everything....our situations and experiences and perspectives may be different but it's no more than that <3
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast