Such a shame

Real Problems
    Hide your head in a hole
    If asked your opinion
    Say you don't know
    When it's time to Vote
    You're too busy to go

10/28/12
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 07-04-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Doug, this song is super and very different from your usual ones (which you know I like too). I really like "Real Problems."
    But what's really weird . . . and I have NO IDEA WHY . . . It DOES have a similar vibe to my poem, "CONSCIENCE." I promise ... I didn't read your song first! (This is really weird.)

Anyway, back on topic. Great Refrain. I don't know how to say this ... Wait a minute! I've got it - Your song is very contemporary! And I enjoy the "beat."

P.S. ...And the meaning and how you've constructed it blows me away...!
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 11-05-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Doug Denslowe said:

Thanks Frankie,I'm glad this got one response!
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 11-08-2012 at 03:56 AM.

4. Tomatomic said:

HEY HO LETS GO!!!! i loved this man, a great piece. i think frankie hit the nail on the head with contemporary, so the first word i can offer is progressive and i am partial to allot of progressive. good poetry and imagery, i especially like the chicken line... although the one point i will make is the flooding, tornadoes and hurricanes line, i just think it's a little wordy and sort of throws the beat off i think. apart from that a fine piece of progressive contemporary work!!! great stuff dude!!!!

Frankie Jasmine said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    Thanks Frankie,I'm glad this got one response!
    Doug, I think you can expect a lot of response on this one! If not, I'm gonna campaign for people to come read it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatomic View Post
    HEY HO LETS GO!!!! i loved this man, a great piece. i think frankie hit the nail on the head with contemporary, so the first word i can offer is progressive and i am partial to allot of progressive. good poetry and imagery, i especially like the chicken line... although the one point i will make is the flooding, tornadoes and hurricanes line, i just think it's a little wordy and sort of throws the beat off i think. apart from that a fine piece of progressive contemporary work!!! great stuff dude!!!!

Tomatomic, your input is highly valued around here; I'm glad you commented--I enjoyed reading your opinion! I must admit that I like your word better--progressive! When I wrote "contemporary" it fell just short of what I felt. Now you've given me the right word! Thanks. . . . I do disagree to an extent on the "weather" line. By that I mean that if it were broken down, each one on a separate line, it would read better with the same words. The other option would be to go to a less defined description like "messed-up weather" or "screwy weather." What would you suggest instead of the specific "floods, tornadoes, hurricanes"--did you have something in mind that could be shorter but just as powerful?

Doug Denslowe said:

Atomic One,
    Once again......busted!(Frankie J. Busted me once before,on a song called "Life")Let me tell you what I mean by this;I ran out of ideas on Life and just threw some lines together to finish a real good,personal song.I just put in lines that really didn't go with the first half of the Song Lyric.On Real Problems I had written it,to completion.Ah, then Hurricane Sandy raised her ugly head.I felt
    compelled to add it in.It may not fit,I wrote it as an afterthought!Tomatomic,you saw through this
    and I congratulate you for pointing it out!I respect someone that can give constructive criticism and
    you hit the nail on the head.I did try to include something that was happening as I wrote it,but it really didn't fit!Thanks for having the insight to call me on it.And Thank You Frankie,for being the pal you always are!
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 07-24-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Johnb31 said:

Doug this song is freaking amazing and it's topic is something I've been trying to write since this election started. Seems as if we are more focused on the little things instead of focusing on the real issues and it seems as if we are blinded by these little things causing us to not see or completely ignore the real problems. Great song this one hit right at home with me brilliant execution of your words, I was really moved by this one.
    There is not enough space or time to truly let the song unwind

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb31 View Post
    Doug this song is freaking amazing and it's topic is something I've been trying to write since this election started. Seems as if we are more focused on the little things instead of focusing on the real issues and it seems as if we are blinded by these little things causing us to not see or completely ignore the real problems. Great song this one hit right at home with me brilliant execution of your words, I was really moved by this one.
    Thanks John.I'm glad some of the folks at ATL did get what I was trying to say.when it's time to Vote,You're too busy to go,was an afterthought as well.My favorite line: And if it feels good,Don't even try it,When you eat chicken,It's best not to fry it!You know,I'm well known for my diet tips!

Jim Colyer said:

Doug,

A good comment on modern society. It seems like things are going downhill.

Jim
    Jim Colyer Girl albums

10. Tomatomic said:

frankie i would not think about changing the line to any great extent, but i think that removing 'flooding' from the line would retain the beat and still retain the power of the lyric.
    Last edited by Tomatomic; 11-08-2012 at 08:54 PM.

11. Tomatomic said:

doug, i'm not going to lie, i massively appreciate that you can appreciate criticism, i know far too many writers of poetry who break down at one iota of criticism which sorely irritates me. but dude the piece itself is perfectly sound by any reckoning and i really enjoy it. speaking of criticism, i think i require some on man consumes man...... ASSIST ME!!!!!!!! but but to your art... i solely believe that the removal of flooding from the line would make it flow much better... other than that man i love it!!!

Frankie Jasmine said:

frankie i would not think about changing the line to any great extent, but i think that removing 'flooding' from the line would retain the beat and still retain the power of the lyric.
    Tomatomic: I bow to your higher critique (truly!). Plus Doug really let the cat out of the bag.

Hey, Doug, dontcha know it kind of ruins it when an artist explains their lyrics/poetry?? A wise man once said, "I think it's best left to the reader's imagination."

Doug Denslowe said:

Frankie,
    I wasn't explaining the "meaning"just how I came up with the decision to include which lines,where.The meaning is pretty clear,but I'd never argue with the Great and Wise Oz!!!

Doug Denslowe said:

DONE!!!Now should I remove "that's" from "that's insane" It seems to be an extra word now.What do you think;Atomic One,Frankie,smoothtung?

Frankie Jasmine said:

You better not argue, buddy. You'll be stuck in Oz forever, and I'll never help you go back home . . .

(P.S. I wasn't explaining the "meaning" to my poem either--just what triggered the idea--and the meaning was pretty obvious as well! Punct. Oh, excuse me, let me say it in English, PERIOD. I.e., Do not talk back to the great WIZ.)

Doug Denslowe said:

Stuck in Oz forever?Hmm.......maybe that's exactly what I'm looking for!Please except my apologies,oh Magnificent One!

Frankie Jasmine said:

"Silence! You whippersnapper! The Great Oz has spoken!!"

18. Tomatomic said:

from my perspective dude that sorts it out perfectly. i am flattered beyond measure that you changed it sole because my point... doug i salute you

Frankie Jasmine said:

The great and powerful Oz just foud your question, "that's insane" is fine!!

Doug Denslowe said:

from my perspective dude that sorts it out perfectly. i am flattered beyond measure that you changed it sole because my point... doug i salute you
    When you're right,you're Write!