Opposites Attract

Thread: Opposites Attract

Tags: doug denslowe song

Doug Denslowe said:

Cool Opposites Attract

This is a song that I never was completely happy with.I'm posting it although it may not be the best version I have of it.Since if I don't post it now,I may lose it in the pile of half finished songs that pile up around my home.Hope you like it.

Opposites Attract

I say yes
    You say no
    I'd like to stay
    You up and go

I lean left
    You turn right
    You like day
    I party at night

I can no longer
    Make the scene
    We can't agree
    On anything

Opposites Attract
    Yes,that's true
    But,I can no longer
    Be with you

You listen to Rap
    I play the Blues
    You feel entitled
    I've paid my dues

I look up
    You bring me down
    When I smile
    You start to frown

I can no longer
    Make the scene
    We can't agree
    On anything

Opposites Attract
    Yes,that's true
    But,I can no longer
    Be with you

I like to sing
    You'd rather dance
    I fly to England
    You sail to France

I drink coffee
    You sip tea
    I love you
    You hate me

I can no longer
    Turn the other cheek
    When there's so many
    Secrets you keep

Opposites Attract
    Yes,that's true
    But,I can no longer
    Be with you

12/29/2012
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 12-30-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Doug, the key to this song will be the music. Let's face it, some songs have been primarily phrases repeated over and over, yet they've made it as classics (the only one I can think of now is "Hey, Jude"). Your lyrics are fine, though not earth-shattering. This could still be a hit, though; do you have music? If not, what kind of music do you imagine with it?

Doug Denslowe said:

Lyrics this simple could go with almost any kind of music.A simple 4/4 rock beat,is what will probably happen.It could be a good doo-w*p song considering how simple the lyrics are.I can't believe that even music genres are censored on this site,shame on you!!!!!!!

Frankie Jasmine said:

I understand, Doug. I can't use my country expressions because it **bleeps** them out; and they are not obscene at all!

What I was getting at about the music is that it not be "trite." The poetry of it is fine; if put with a doo-*** song, it's all been done before. But if put, e.g., with a unique rock melody, it could be very good! Or, if you like the "new" version of "doo-***" or lighter-style music, I'd say in the style of One Direction, Owl City, or James Blunt, etc. Examples:

[QJO3ROT-A4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJO3ROT-A4E[/video]

Frankie Jasmine said:

Not these specific tempos, but the style of modern music . . .

[wzumsXtyCW4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzumsXtyCW4[/video]

Doug Denslowe said:

Yes,that would work.One Direction could definely make these lyrics work.The second video doesn't play,but I think you get the point.I just posted it before I lost it.It's about last on my list of songs to play if and when I play with the band again.

Frankie Jasmine said:

You have so many better ones; still, do not downplay this one too much. It all depends upon the music style, because the message definitely "goes" in today's market!

"Selling" it on a more serious note would be to "Civil Wars," who "play" with just such lyrics . . . in an "I-love-you/I-love-you-not" method, but with fantastic music. E.g.,

[Qcw-MIi8S_4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcw-MIi8S_4[/video]

Doug Denslowe said:

Just wait until I post "The Lost Battle" It's about a guy who awakens on a *battlefield,no longer remembering which side he fought for.His clothes have been borrowed from dead soldiers and you get the drift.My problem has always been,getting the vibe to write on something that was hot when it started.I often find it hard to rekindle those flames of inspiration!(*Civil War,natch!)
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 06-08-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Can't wait!

Jim Colyer said:

Doug,

This is well-written using the idea of opposites, a proven songwriting technique. The short lines help and with the right groove, it could really be nice.

Jim

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
    Doug,

This is well-written using the idea of opposites, a proven songwriting technique. The short lines help and with the right groove, it could really be nice.

Jim
    Thanks,Jim.I started having my doubts.I know it's not as clever as my other songs,but in the right hands(not by me)could be a hit or at least a good song.Sometimes simple equals Commercial Success!

amaryn said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    Yes,that would work.One Direction could definely make these lyrics work.The second video doesn't play,but I think you get the point.I just posted it before I lost it.It's about last on my list of songs to play if and when I play with the band again.

Oooh-Frankie and Doug! Have the owls from my poems flown into the city,lol

Found a very rhythmical bunch of owls: Let them speak!

amaryn said:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    Doug, the key to this song will be the music. Let's face it, some songs have been primarily phrases repeated over and over, yet they've made it as classics (the only one I can think of now is "Hey, Jude"). Your lyrics are fine, though not earth-shattering. This could still be a hit, though; do you have music? If not, what kind of music do you imagine with it?
    Well, Frankie,I can hear Diana Krall (Canadian jazzpianist/singer) or Ella Fitzgerald there swinging away.
    Sure you remember this one:
    Last edited by amaryn; 01-02-2013 at 05:40 AM.

amaryn said:

"Let's Call The Whole Thing Of":" you say tomatoes and I say tomatoes
    you say potatoes and I say potatoes....
    let's call the whole thing of..."

George Gershwin, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald.........

amaryn said:

HERE IT COMES:

(my laptop playin tricks on me, had to split this post in three parts,lol

Doug Denslowe said:

If I know Amaryn,this was filmed right outside his window.Now I know where all your inspiration comes from!

Frankie Jasmine said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    Just wait until I post "The Last Battle" It's about a guy who awakens on a *battlefield,no longer remembering which side he fought for.His clothes have been borrowed from dead soldiers and you get the drift.My problem has always been,getting the vibe to write on something that was hot when it started.I often find it hard to rekindle those flames of inspiration!(*Civil War,natch!)
    Doug, did you follow-up on posting this song?

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    Doug, did you follow-up on posting this song?
    Not yet,but I Think about it all the time.I haven't posted it because it has to be "just right".It's a song that is real good,so far,but it still hasn't be completed.Ironically most of my best stuff comes almost instantly.A few Ive worked on (Never Say Never)have been hammered out over a period of time."The Last Battle"is one I've worked on longer than almost any other song I've ever written.I'll let you know when it's posted,promise!

19. Malay_razor said:

Opposites Attract
    Yes,that's true
    But,I can no longer
    Be with you

The simplicity of words is what i liked the best in this. Excellent lyrics. And you always rhyme it well

20. LooknGlass said:

Simple but to the point. I like it and think with the right music this can become grander. How the words are enunciated with the music can make it pop good too. Good write Doug, I don't get to see much of yours. You should post more often.