Happy Birthday Janis Joplin

Thread: Happy Birthday Janis Joplin

Tags: None

smoothtung said:

Default Happy Birthday Janis Joplin

Happy birthday Janis Joplin, a Pearl who died sparkling. The great woman would have been exactly 70 years old today, but the legend is timeless. Janis was undoubtedly the link between the likes of the women's movement and the groundbreaking hippie counterculture. Her aggressively powerful voice smashed into people's hearts like a freight train. The hard-nosed song bird who preached love and rock and roll; emotion oozed from her knee-shaking performances where it instinctively felt its way to the soft spot in ones soul. And her off and on stage personality tentively burned its way into the pages of history, where Janis, armed with her choice of scotch, lounges atop her throne with the rest of the beautiful members of the '27 club'.

smoothtung said:

I know it's out of place guys but I want it to be read I would like to do her justice

Doug Denslowe said:

Nice dedication Smooth.I hope you've seen the excellent Documentary film of her life;Janis(1974).The scenes where she goes to her 10 year high school reunion are hilarious!
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 01-21-2013 at 04:21 PM.

smoothtung said:

Oh you know I have Doug great movie. That scene was quite funny, tho I was disappointed with the historical accuracy. I've managed to dig up an old interview with janis at that reunion.. it's realy very sad.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8mOP8ucVAD0

Doug Denslowe said:

Smooth,
    Which scenes do you have a problem with the historical accuracy?As I recall,it was all culled together from other films before she passed.Wasn't it all clips from earlier interviews/performances?I'd love to know what you're referring to!!

smoothtung said:

Oh well yes it is mostly clips though I mean i don't think they delve into as much of how the life in port arthur, tx shaped her entire life so extremely; perhaps in some sense being the underlying cause of her death. Ya know? The interview clip I posted above is so silently important because you see three or more volumes of janis' character. In the very begining of the video we get to see her blissful innocence, so excited to be back in her home town, almost as if to say 'look who I am now', right? Then she gets inside, and smothered with reporters, we get to see the first stage of her front. Her natural sense of humor, used as defense mechanism here. Her cunning charm plays in as always. Then certain questions come into play where we see total retreat in janis. An abondonment of confidence as she recalls memories growing up in porth Arthur. It's so sad, she was 25? 26? and just couldn't get over her past..