Songs - explicities and implicities

Thread: Songs - explicities and implicities

Tags: None
  1. poptropika said:

Default Songs - explicities and implicities

Imagine. You're walking down the grocery store isle and then you hear your favorite song... you feel happy, excited, euphoric - maybe even inebriated. But did you ever wonder about other songs. Like who wrote them and arranged the music? Today, everything from snack foods to music is so highly specialized. What do I mean? The science behind snack foods has gone way beyond adding pinches of garlic and cheese - they actually zero in on the receptor sites of your tongue and observe how all of these things interact with the tiniest functions of your body. The same with music. The sounds, the beat they use are all tested and retested - tiny adjustments are made until they get the desired effect. In most cases, the effects are benign. However, I suspect some songs being produced today have negative and even dark undertones attached to them. It’s like they’re trying to manipulate you. That is why I like to know about the person who made the songs. What are they into? What kind of moral hygiene do they have? There are songs which seem to evoke primal emotions in people - feelings of sensuality, violence and perhaps even worse. One weird song (not sure what it is) features a woman singing "Augh oh... Augh oh... Augh oh.. Augh oh" - repeatedly and to be honest it sounds like … like a woman being raped or something - which is a horrible thought. Another song, which I hate every time I hear it is "Somebody I used to know" - it just sounds creepy to me and I don't like it at all. The way the guy says, "ba-dee" sounds as if someone is pleading for their life. Of course, it is all implicit. Just like the sarcastic goof who says to you, "You're awesome!" and you know darn well he means it in a pejorative way - but since you can only put his words on trial - not his intimating tone - (which is really the souls intent) he cannot be found guilty of anything. Rather, he can accuse you of “taking it the wrong way”. In the same way, I think certain songs made by dark bands should be banned, the same as if they were endangering the public water or food supply. Sure, a person is free to think whatever he likes, but once we speak or act, it leaves our interior and enters into the public domain - which happens to be shared by other free beings. Accordingly, it becomes subject to certain social standards. Don't expect evil to always reveal itself explicitly - for it is fearful of being exposed for what it is - but it hopes to lure the naive into its deadly embrace. So be careful about the music you listen to! And most of all, be good to yourself!
    Last edited by poptropika; 04-26-2013 at 07:15 PM.

2. jp12345 said:

It's all personal opinion. I've never found "Somebody That I Used to Know" by Gotye to be creepy. "Every Breath You Take" by The Police on the other hand...

3. poptropika said:

I agree. Some things are a matter of personal opinion.

4. poptropika said:

To give any other example take for instance, Franz Ferdinand's "Do You Want To Lyrics?" I'm sorry but after hearing this song several times... especially listening to the tone of voice. Sorry to offend anyone, but it sounds like it is an euphemism for rape. His words, "lucky, lucky, you're so lucky!" they are filled with a violent sarcasm.