Rumi - Yar mara ghar mara

Thread: Rumi - Yar mara ghar mara

Tags: None

Pharma_Lady said:

Default Rumi - Yar mara ghar mara

Thanx a lot dear Soniya! Now I want to share with you all another great poem of Mevlana from his 'Divan-e Shams-e Tabrizi'.

http://www.iranchamber.com/literatur...s/rumi_026.php

Rumi 026
    I need a lover and a friend
    All friendships you transcend
    And impotent I remain

You are Noah and the Ark
    You are the light and the dark
    Behind the veil I remain

You are passion and are rage
    You are the bird and the cage
    Lost in flight I remain

You are the wine and the cup
    You are the ocean and the drop
    While afloat I remain

I said, "O Soul of the world
    My desperation has taken hold!"
    "I am thy essence," without scold,
    "Value me much more than gold."

You are the bait and the trap
    You are the path and the map
    While in search I remain

You are poison and the sweet
    You are defeated and defeat
    Sword in hand I remain

You are the wood and the saw
    You are cooked, and are raw
    While in a pot I remain

You are sunshine and the fog
    You are water and the jug
    While thirsty I remain

Sweet fragrance of Shams is
    The joy and pride of Tabriz
    Perfume trader I remain.

This is also another translation of the poem found on http://www.myspace.com/rumilovedrunk (lyrics of the song/poem 'Lover me'):

Lover me, cave me,
    the sweet burn of Love me.
    Lover you, cave you,
    Shams protect me.
    Noah you, soul you,
    conqueror and the conquered you
    the awakened heart you.
    Why hold me at that gate of your secret?

Light you, celebration you,
    the victorious land you
    the bird of Mount Sinai you.
    You carry me on your tired beak.
    Drop you, ocean you,
    compassion and rage you,
    sugar you, poison you.
    Please don’t continue to hurt me.

The orb of the Sun you,
    the house of Venus you,
    the sliver of hope you.
    Open up the way for me.
    Day you, night you,
    fasting and the crumbs of a beggar you,
    water and a pitcher you.
    Quench my thirst, Beloved.

Bait you, trap you,
    wine you, cup you,
    baked and raw you.
    Please don’t let me be unbaked.

If you don’t run my body too hard,
    if you don’t cut my way too much,
    if you try to help rather than make my life more difficult.
    Oh, all these words of mine.

Here you can find Shahram Nazeri's version of the poem. http://www.domahal.com/song/13483.htm
    This one is my favorite, although there are some differences between the version he is singing and the real poem.

Have a great day and many thnx again to Soniya!

Gulan

***Soniya*** said:

[QUOTE=Pharma_Lady;376471]Thanx a lot dear Soniya! Now I want to share with you all another great poem of Mevlana from his 'Divan-e Shams-e Tabrizi'.

Oooooooooh….very excellent website….thanks so much for sharing …I wish I could translate and keep the rhythm of the original poem at the same time…but I guess my English is not that progressed yet.

Loved the first poem so much…but do you understand any of original poem??? because translation although very good, is nothing compare to the main poem, and I mean NOTHING.
    But that is the problem with many of classic Persian poets …their poems are very difficult to translate….although Rumi`s poems are easier to translate compare to Hafiz…he is my favorite. But anytime I want to translate one of his poem , just out of whim you know, I just end up frustrated with my eyes bulging out and my hair sticking out all over my head…. :-/ (so much pressure I brain cells)
    so I just give it up as a lost battle…lol

Pharma_Lady said:

Smile

[QUOTE=***Soniya***;376747]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharma_Lady View Post
    Thanx a lot dear Soniya! Now I want to share with you all another great poem of Mevlana from his 'Divan-e Shams-e Tabrizi'.

Oooooooooh….very excellent website….thanks so much for sharing …I wish I could translate and keep the rhythm of the original poem at the same time…but I guess my English is not that progressed yet.

Loved the first poem so much…but do you understand any of original poem??? because translation although very good, is nothing compare to the main poem, and I mean NOTHING.
    But that is the problem with many of classic Persian poets …their poems are very difficult to translate….although Rumi`s poems are easier to translate compare to Hafiz…he is my favorite. But anytime I want to translate one of his poem , just out of whim you know, I just end up frustrated with my eyes bulging out and my hair sticking out all over my head…. :-/ (so much pressure I brain cells)
    so I just give it up as a lost battle…lol
    You are welcome Soniya
    I was very busy with my exams the last month, that's why I'm replying now. Lately I've been reading a lot of the poems of Rumi, and sometimes of Saadi. I'm Kurdish from Iraq, that's why I can read Persian and understand a couple of words from a poem. But now I try to read the translation and the Persian poem a couple of times, that way I 'recognise' and learn much more words. Beacuse Kurdish, Arabic and Persian have lot of words in common.

And it's alway so exciting when I have unriddled the meaning of a sentence of a poem by myself.. and it's even more exciting when I can read and understand the whole poem at once beacuse of your translations!