SOLVED: November 1989, "Nobody Gets Out Alive"?

Thread: SOLVED: November 1989, "Nobody Gets Out Alive"?

Tags: 1989, phil collins, radio
  1. simnia said:

Default SOLVED: November 1989, "Nobody Gets Out Alive"?

On November 5, 1989 I jotted down two apparent song titles from memory I'd heard earlier that day on the radio in Los Angeles County in Southern California. (1) One my notes was "Hot Shock" which turned out to be "Love Shack" by The B-52's, so obviously my memory and/or discernment of lyrics was inaccurate. (2) The other song title I wrote down as "Nobody Gets Out Alive", but I can't find any such song online, and I could not identify it back then, either. That's the song I'm looking for now.

So far my research turned up these false alarms:

()
    There is a book called "No One Here Gets Out Alive" about The Doors, but that seems unrelated.
    ()
    There is a song called "Nobody" with the lyrics "nobody gets out alive" by Skindred, but that's from 2002, much later, so that also seems unrelated.

I have no other information like lyrics or artist, though I suspect it was a male singer, the words I wrote down was probably the title, and most likely it was a fast pop or rock song, since those are the types of songs I tended to notice and write down (e.g., songs by B-52's, Smithereens, Roxette, House of Lords). Do those words sound familiar, either as lyrics or as a title? It could have been "no one" instead of "nobody". The top candidate artist to consider would be Phil Collins, or maybe Peter Gabriel, since I was paying particular attention to those artists' songs in that year, but was unfamiliar with most of their material back then. It was likely the first and only time I'd heard that song, so it was probably new or only a few years old in 1989.
    Last edited by simnia; 10-28-2013 at 06:32 PM.

2. bugmenot1 said:

This song was released in 1989 and has the line "Nobody gets out alive".

"Love In An Elevator" by Aerosmith
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsUUr22n8N4

3. simnia said:

Good guess, bugmenot1, but I was relatively familiar with "Love In an Elevator" back then (though I used to think it was called "Living It Up in La Veta" since I could never hear exactly what the guy was singing!), and I don't believe I would have written down just a few words unless those words were so prominent that I thought they were the title. (For example, the words "Love Shack" are used very frequently in the song "Love Shack" in both the verse and chorus, so that's the only logical title.) So that is not likely the correct song.
    Last edited by simnia; 10-27-2013 at 07:22 PM.

4. bugmenot1 said:

"Nobody's Fault But Mine"? by Led Zeppelin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdOEindANdY

5. wurzlsepp said:

6. simnia said:

Quote Originally Posted by wurzlsepp View Post
    I think you probably got it, wurzlsepp. Although the song doesn't sound familiar to me now, it's a fast rock song that would've caught my attention, the year is perfect, the chorus has the title lyrics perfectly placed and with audible lyrics besides, and it's unlikely there existed another such song around that time with attributes that match so well. Good job!

Nobody Gets Out Alive (Tattoo, 1988, "Blood Red" album (1988), author ?, length 3:22)
    Last edited by simnia; 10-28-2013 at 06:45 PM.

7. simnia said:

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot1 View Post
    "Nobody's Fault But Mine"? by Led Zeppelin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdOEindANdY
    Good guess, and it's a good rock song, but I'd bought that Led Zeppelin album years earlier, so I likely would have recognized the song or at least the group. Also, the lyrics on that song of the title aren't clear enough that I would've guessed them so differently.