Need help...

Thread: Need help...

Tags: None
  1. MissMay3 said:

Default Need help...

Hey you guys!

Someone close to me,who is in there last days of life told me something in Norwegian,that I really thin would make a good song,but I'm struggling to translate it to good English. Hope you guys can help!!

The sentence is; "You live WITH the world,not the world living WITH you".....you get it?

Anyone that has an good translation? I would be grateful!!!

Doug Denslowe said:

Sorry May........ Never heard that expression before.If I can figure it out,I'll return to tell you.

3. Peter Both said:

Maybe the meaning of the Norwegian expression is a bit lost in translation in English. When I translate it into Dutch, my native language ("Je leeft MET de wereld, de wereld leeft niet MET jou") it sounds more meaningful than in English. This is due to the fact that the English word 'live' can mean 'exist' but also 'dwell', especially when you add 'with'. In Dutch 'leven' just means 'to exist, to be alive'. Maybe (I don't speak the language) this is also the case in Norwegian. "You exist WITH the world,not the world existng WITH you" might be a better translation, but I'm not sure it will work in a song. A lot of maybe's here, but maybe this has been of help.

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Both View Post
    Maybe the meaning of the Norwegian expression is a bit lost in translation in English. When I translate it into Dutch, my native language ("Je leeft MET de wereld, de wereld leeft niet MET jou") it sounds more meaningful than in English. This is due to the fact that the English word 'live' can mean 'exist' but also 'dwell', especially when you add 'with'. In Dutch 'leven' just means 'to exist, to be alive'. Maybe (I don't speak the language) this is also the case in Norwegian. "You exist WITH the world,not the world existng WITH you" might be a better translation, but I'm not sure it will work in a song. A lot of maybe's here, but maybe this has been of help.
    That's how I interpeted it as well.

5. MissMay3 said:

What this person meant is that We live with the world and when we die,the world goes on,so that's why its not the world living with us. Like We go on and the world dies.
    Did I explain that in a bad way or just a VERY bad way..

I wonder if the translation, "We live along/alongside/beside (with) the world" is a good one. Or maybe you'll now have a better suggestion for me