"I do" in Farsi

Thread: "I do" in Farsi

Tags: None
  1. urakan said:

Default "I do" in Farsi

Greetings and thank you for your excellent translations, this place is a dream come true for me. I can finally understand the meaning of my favorite persian songs!
    I'm a native spanish speaker and fluent in english. I have been trying to learn the persian language for the longest time, but my super busy schedule just doesn't help.
    Persian is truly the most beautiful sounding language that I have ever heard. I'm also really fascinated by persian culture and of course food.
    Anyway, I'm still taking baby steps in learning the language so please don't make fun of my questions... one word that I hear all the time is "mikonam" what does it mean?

Thanks again.

David.

P.S. Hola Ecoliqua!

Ecoliqua said:

Urakan
    hello, welcome to this forum! yes, as you say well, this is a dream come true. Dont worry about your baby knowledge. I believe we are all in the same boat. This is the Farsi kindergarden. How come did you get interested in farsi? and, wich country are you originally from?

Ashoori, azizam, I am happy to hear from you. I dont want my kids leaving the forum. At the end you are starting to be my litle Persian family. Wouldnt it be nice if we could meet some day in Teheran! Vanda and Mehdi could be our guides.
    I am sorry because of your grandmother. Just dont get too sad.

Flower, hallo, goleman, I see you are quite advanced at farsi... do you have any extra help or extra motivation? ;-) All you learn all by yurself?. I want to be like you...

Hassan, still there duste man?

Vanda said:

Quote Originally Posted by urakan View Post
    Greetings and thank you for your excellent translations, this place is a dream come true for me. I can finally understand the meaning of my favorite persian songs!
    I'm a native spanish speaker and fluent in english. I have been trying to learn the persian language for the longest time, but my super busy schedule just doesn't help.
    Persian is truly the most beautiful sounding language that I have ever heard. I'm also really fascinated by persian culture and of course food.
    Anyway, I'm still taking baby steps in learning the language so please don't make fun of my questions... one word that I hear all the time is "mikonam" what does it mean?

Thanks again.

David.

P.S. Hola Ecoliqua!
    Hi David jan, really welcome to this topic, hope you enjoy and stay with us

mikonam means "I do" or "I would/will do" ... It depends
    ofcourse sometimes it has a bad meaning e.x "mikonamet" =))
    BEST BEST BEST regards
    Hargez namirad, anke delash zendeh shod be eshgh
    "never dieth that one, whose heart is alive with love"

- Hafez

4. urakan said:

Salam Ecoliqua and Vanda, thanks so much for your welcome.

I'm originally from Venezuela but moved to the US more than 25 years ago.

I became interested in farsi by accident a few years ago - I was flipping through the channels on TV when I saw a foreign movie that caught my eyes and ears, I had never heard the language before but felt an instant connection like a sense of deja-vu. It had a surreal familiar euphonism, it was almost musical and the words just flowed like a magical poem. I called the TV station and they told me that the movie was "The White Balloon" (a.k.a. Badkonake sefid) by Jafar Panahi. Well, the rest is history...I decided to learn more about this far away culture. In the process I read several books about iran and compiled a huge collection of iranian films. And until very recently I discovered persian pop music when I first heard the song "Arash" playing on a latin radio station. Given that, this forum is truly a blessing since It has helped me discover persian artists and songs that otherwise I would have never heard of here in the US.

I'm really looking forward to learning the persian language and hopefully in the near future to visit Iran. Maybe we can all meet there!

Muchos saludos,
    David.

aShOoRi said:

Welcome to the forum Urakan...my names paul (people call me pauly, bazoona, dj illest, john blaze or watever u like :P), is Urakan your first name? if u need anything just ask take care + god bless
    beganokh la azt shoqtle /
    go kharebota khadoota letlee /
    mdree mamteelan al orkhat maten /
    baabe em yeeme am khoone o khatee ...

"Ashur Bet Sargis - Sara D'Matan"

~*flower*~ said:

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoliqua View Post
    Urakan
    hello, welcome to this forum! yes, as you say well, this is a dream come true. Dont worry about your baby knowledge. I believe we are all in the same boat. This is the Farsi kindergarden. How come did you get interested in farsi? and, wich country are you originally from?

Ashoori, azizam, I am happy to hear from you. I dont want my kids leaving the forum. At the end you are starting to be my litle Persian family. Wouldnt it be nice if we could meet some day in Teheran! Vanda and Mehdi could be our guides.
    I am sorry because of your grandmother. Just dont get too sad.

Flower, hallo, goleman, I see you are quite advanced at farsi... do you have any extra help or extra motivation? ;-) All you learn all by yurself?. I want to be like you...

Hassan, still there duste man?

Salaam Ecoliqua,

Hope you're doing well!

Nah, I'm not advanced at Farsi at all! I'm just a beginner, as mostly everyone here is. You're right about this forum being a farsi kindergarten

The only help I have with Farsi is dear Vanda and this thread, and all the lovely helpers on this forum. I've learned so many words from reading all the pages...its almost like a farsi dictionary!
    As far as motivation, I guess my only motivation is that I really really want to go to Iran...its been my dream to be fluent in Farsi ever since I was very young Currently I'm studying alone from easypersian.com, they're lessons are quite good! but since i've just started, I've only reached lesson 18 . Oh yeah, and many of Farsi words are similar to the languages I speak or understand...so that helps too!!

Hopefully one day we'll all be able to speak in only Farsi with each other!

take care azizam,
    *hugs*!

~*flower*~

Ecoliqua said:

Quote Originally Posted by ~*flower*~ View Post
    Salaam Ecoliqua,

Hope you're doing well!

Nah, I'm not advanced at Farsi at all! I'm just a beginner, as mostly everyone here is. You're right about this forum being a farsi kindergarten

The only help I have with Farsi is dear Vanda and this thread, and all the lovely helpers on this forum. I've learned so many words from reading all the pages...its almost like a farsi dictionary!
    As far as motivation, I guess my only motivation is that I really really want to go to Iran...its been my dream to be fluent in Farsi ever since I was very young Currently I'm studying alone from easypersian.com, they're lessons are quite good! but since i've just started, I've only reached lesson 18 . Oh yeah, and many of Farsi words are similar to the languages I speak or understand...so that helps too!!

Hopefully one day we'll all be able to speak in only Farsi with each other!

take care azizam,
    *hugs*!

~*flower*~
    :-) well, I am not sure whether I will live do long to be able to speak Farsi! :-) Now I am more ambitious: I want to speak farsi with Tajik accent :-))))

I am joking, I am joking, I dont even know how tajik accent sounds like....

I also started those lessons, but I had to stop it for a while because I was buried on work.

Anyhow, I think you can make more sentences than most of us. I just know lots of words separatdly, but I dont know how to put them together.

Cheers!

Ecoliqua said:

Salam Ecoliqua and Vanda, thanks so much for your welcome.

I'm originally from Venezuela but moved to the US more than 25 years ago.

I became interested in farsi by accident a few years ago - I was flipping through the channels on TV when I saw a foreign movie that caught my eyes and ears, I had never heard the language before but felt an instant connection like a sense of deja-vu. It had a surreal familiar euphonism, it was almost musical and the words just flowed like a magical poem. I called the TV station and they told me that the movie was "The White Balloon" (a.k.a. Badkonake sefid) by Jafar Panahi. Well, the rest is history...I decided to learn more about this far away culture. In the process I read several books about iran and compiled a huge collection of iranian films. And until very recently I discovered persian pop music when I first heard the song "Arash" playing on a latin radio station. Given that, this forum is truly a blessing since It has helped me discover persian artists and songs that otherwise I would have never heard of here in the US.

I'm really looking forward to learning the persian language and hopefully in the near future to visit Iran. Maybe we can all meet there!

Muchos saludos,
    David.
    Hola david,

Oh! this is so very nice that you have compiled such a great collection of Iranian movies. It would be nice, if you dont mind, you to give us some advices. Actually, I very much want to buy an iranian movie, but I dont know which one. I have absolutely no idea where to satrt from. So, if you could give us some titles, it would be more than great! :-)

Ah! and thank you for the detailed introduction about yourself!

Hasta luego, nuevo amigo, (until later, new friend)

Laura

PS: ashoori, I realized about your spanish attempt! :-) very good!

9. urakan said:

Hola david,

Oh! this is so very nice that you have compiled such a great collection of Iranian movies. It would be nice, if you dont mind, you to give us some advices. Actually, I very much want to buy an iranian movie, but I dont know which one. I have absolutely no idea where to satrt from. So, if you could give us some titles, it would be more than great! :-)

Ah! and thank you for the detailed introduction about yourself!

Hasta luego, nuevo amigo, (until later, new friend)

Laura

Hola Laura,

Iranian cinema is very rich and varied and it is usually compared to Italian Neorealism. In my opinion, iranian cinema is a distinct cinematic language that belongs to it's own genre. It uses humanistic and philosophical themes very creatively, it's truly a majestic form of visual poetry.

For beginners, the movies that I recommend are: "The Color of Paradise" (Rang-e khoda) and "Children of Heaven" (Bacheha-Ye aseman) by director Majid Majidi. Also "The White Balloon" and "Crimson Gold" are excellent as is any other movie by Jafar Panahi.

I also recommend "A Taste of Cherry " and "Ten" by Abbas Kiarostami. (Someone told me that both of these are banned in Iran but I'm not sure if that's true)
    I hope this helps you get started. Please let me know which movie you get. I'd love to hear your opinions.

By the way, how did you become interested in the persian language?
    Im really curious.

Hasta luego, nueva amiga,

David.

10. urakan said:

Quote Originally Posted by aShOoRi View Post
    Welcome to the forum Urakan...my names paul (people call me pauly, bazoona, dj illest, john blaze or watever u like :P), is Urakan your first name? if u need anything just ask take care + god bless
    Thanks pauly,

Please feel free to call me David or Dave.
    Urakan is my nickname.

Take care and god bless too.

11. urakan said:

Quote Originally Posted by Vanda View Post
    Hi David jan, really welcome to this topic, hope you enjoy and stay with us

mikonam means "I do" or "I would/will do" ... It depends
    ofcourse sometimes it has a bad meaning e.x "mikonamet" =))
    BEST BEST BEST regards
    Salam Vanda,

Have you already translated "Atish" by Afshin form his album Star? I absolutely love this song. It has a seamless combination of spanish and farsi vocals and instruments...I'll translate the spanish vocals for you if you want

Thanks,

David.

Vanda said:

Salam Vanda,

Have you already translated "Atish" by Afshin form his album Star? I absolutely love this song. It has a seamless combination of spanish and farsi vocals and instruments...I'll translate the spanish vocals for you if you want

Thanks,

David.
    Oh I missed thid post... sorry... yes I've translated it and my Laura has translated the spanish part,

Atish & Dooset daram
    http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/ly...tml#post287663

may you plz translate spanish part of "dooset daram" by afshin? I like it much more
    if the link of download doesn't work let me know :-)

Love
    Vanda
    Last edited by Vanda; 07-16-2007 at 09:14 PM.

- Hafez

Vanda said:

Hola Laura,

Iranian cinema is very rich and varied and it is usually compared to Italian Neorealism. In my opinion, iranian cinema is a distinct cinematic language that belongs to it's own genre. It uses humanistic and philosophical themes very creatively, it's truly a majestic form of visual poetry.

For beginners, the movies that I recommend are: "The Color of Paradise" (Rang-e khoda) and "Children of Heaven" (Bacheha-Ye aseman) by director Majid Majidi. Also "The White Balloon" and "Crimson Gold" are excellent as is any other movie by Jafar Panahi.

I also recommend "A Taste of Cherry " and "Ten" by Abbas Kiarostami. (Someone told me that both of these are banned in Iran but I'm not sure if that's true)
    I hope this helps you get started. Please let me know which movie you get. I'd love to hear your opinions.

Im really curious.

David.
    I respect your opinion about cinema in Iran but I think nobody can make a good film in Iran with that damn censorships ....

- Hafez

Ecoliqua said:

Hola Laura,

Im really curious.

David.
    Hola David,

Well, my story has a sad background indeed… Last year, my boyfriend, who was a German lawyer specialized in Arabic law, died because of a heart attack in front of my very eyes (with just 37 years). He had offered me a beautiful Arabic tape which I loved... I wanted to know who the singer was, so I went to the internet and learnt the Arabic alphabet... I discovered the name of the singer was S-I-R-I-N! I was so happy that day :-))))) Then I wanted to understand the titles… then the lyrics… then,,,, and so, I went into Arabic stuff… Also, we in South Spain, Andalusia, are half Arabic (I am living in Madrid now, but I am from Sevilla, main town of Andalusia), so it was a kind of learning about mine ancient culture. Honestly, we really do not have good relations with Arabs now, but we are totally full with their culture. People generally ignore that most of the traditions we have are Arabic :-) But it is not really popular here to get interested in Arabic culture. Anyhow, I started learning about Arab stuff because of curiosity and because it kept my mind busy…veeeeeeery busy. This thing is so difficult!!
    Meanwhile, I meet a guy from Iran who somehow opened to me a new window to Persian culture. Although I must confess I was scared at the beginning (I beg for forgiveness about my ignorance.. :-(…, he showed me how friendly, funny, and party-like Persian-people are! So very much as Spanish! Actually, I found many more similarities between Persians and Spanish than Spanish and Arabs. And the language is much more beautiful to my ears than Arabic. Maybe because is more similar to Spanish sounds (verdad, David?...).. I really do not know. I just know that I felt in love with Iran and Iranians… maybe because I think they are fighters… they survive and keep their traditions despite of the many difficulties….
    I don’t know… I just know that I am here and that I am happy that I have met all of you!

15. urakan said:

Oh I missed thid post... sorry... yes I've translated it and my Laura has translated the spanish part,

Atish & Dooset daram
    http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/ly...tml#post287663

may you plz translate spanish part of "dooset daram" by afshin? I like it much more
    if the link of download doesn't work let me know :-)

Love
    Vanda
    Vanda,
    Thanks so much for the link to "Atish" lyrics.

Here's my best shot at the translation of the spanish verses of "Dooset Daram":

Como vino embriagador --- Like an intoxicating wine
    de mi vida eres lo mejor --- you're the best thing in my life
    no me importa que puedan pensar --- I don’t care what they could think
    a tu lado me quiero quedar --- by you side I want to stay.
    Desde que yo te conoci --- Ever since I met you
    emociones me haces sentir --- you made me feel emotions
    eso yo no lo quiero perder --- that I don’t want to lose
    a tu lado me siento mujer --- next to you I feel like a woman

This is a great song! Besides the lyrics, I love the beat, especially the part where the dumbeks and tablas fuse with the bongos and latin guitar as well as piano riffs (typical of salsa music). (Around minute 1:58 to 2:23)

I have a question. The song "Arash" features the singer Helena. Does she have any solos or is she featured in any other songs? She has beautiful and angelic voice I wish I could hear more of her.
    Last edited by urakan; 07-17-2007 at 09:35 PM.

16. urakan said:

Hola David,

Well, my story has a sad background indeed… Last year, my boyfriend, who was a German lawyer specialized in Arabic law, died because of a heart attack in front of my very eyes (with just 37 years). He had offered me a beautiful Arabic tape which I loved... I wanted to know who the singer was, so I went to the internet and learnt the Arabic alphabet... I discovered the name of the singer was S-I-R-I-N! I was so happy that day :-))))) Then I wanted to understand the titles… then the lyrics… then,,,, and so, I went into Arabic stuff… Also, we in South Spain, Andalusia, are half Arabic (I am living in Madrid now, but I am from Sevilla, main town of Andalusia), so it was a kind of learning about mine ancient culture. Honestly, we really do not have good relations with Arabs now, but we are totally full with their culture. People generally ignore that most of the traditions we have are Arabic :-) But it is not really popular here to get interested in Arabic culture. Anyhow, I started learning about Arab stuff because of curiosity and because it kept my mind busy…veeeeeeery busy. This thing is so difficult!!
    Meanwhile, I meet a guy from Iran who somehow opened to me a new window to Persian culture. Although I must confess I was scared at the beginning (I beg for forgiveness about my ignorance.. :-(…, he showed me how friendly, funny, and party-like Persian-people are! So very much as Spanish! Actually, I found many more similarities between Persians and Spanish than Spanish and Arabs. And the language is much more beautiful to my ears than Arabic. Maybe because is more similar to Spanish sounds (verdad, David?...).. I really do not know. I just know that I felt in love with Iran and Iranians… maybe because I think they are fighters… they survive and keep their traditions despite of the many difficulties….
    I don’t know… I just know that I am here and that I am happy that I have met all of you!
    Laura,
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It has to be very hard for someone to experience the loss of a beloved one especially that young.
    He did however, leave you a legacy that has taken you on a journey to an amazing culture.

And it's very interesting to hear how you stumbled upon the persian language via arabic...

The influence of arabs in our spanish culture is undeniable, they occupied spain for 700 years. That's a way long time.
    But you are so right about persians being more similar to the spanish than arabs.
    And yes persian does definitely sound much more beautiful than arabic.
    I also think that persian culture has kept the essence of it's identity despite all the invasions and outside influences. And it's really awe inspiring that as one of the most ancient cultures still existing today it has influenced in one way or another virtually all of modern civilization.
    Anyway, it's a shame that relations with arabs in spain are so bad. It's really sad that all of them are paying the price of being blamed for the atrocities of a group of extremist assassins.

It's really great to hear that you are originally from Andalusia. That's one of my dream places to visit hopefully very soon. I was always told by my grandmother that our ancestors were from Andalusia but my grandfather used to say that we were of Basque origin so go figure (?).

Have you watched any iranian movies yet? Do you have Netflix in spain? Here in the US they have a good selection. I'm really looking forward to hearing your opinion. Vanda mentioned that she doesn't like iranian films. But I think that I can understand that, one of the reasons is probably that most of the films that we get to watch have been censored and banned in iran.

Hasta luego,

David.
    Last edited by urakan; 07-17-2007 at 11:45 PM.

17. urakan said:

I respect your opinion about cinema in Iran but I think nobody can make a good film in Iran with that damn censorships ....
    Salam Vanda,
    I have read the same opinion from many people living inside iran.
    And I agree about the censorship in Iran, it has kept many artists from expressing themselves freely. But I still think that iranian filmmakers have used very clever and creative ways to send their message across. The authorities have more often than not become suspicious and have censored and/or banned many of the really good films. Abbas Kiarostami's films are a perfect example. Have you by any chance watched any of the films that I mentioned before? Almost all of them have won international awards, and a few years ago, The Guardian Newspaper from the UK included Abbas Kiarostami and Samira Makhmalbaf on the list of the world's best 40 film directors. I hope I can make you at least a little bit proud of your fellow iranian filmmakers, regardless of censorship and politics, they are still among the most talented in the world...

Regards,

David.

aShOoRi said:

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    درود aShOoRi ) **apprently that means 'hi' and is pronounced dorud ?** and تشکر (thx) for the welcome
    Haha np Hermes, i cant read arabic though..i can only TRY to pick out some letters because its familiar lol but anyhow, where you from? nice meeting you champ!

LOL *bows* haha damn straight it was an attempt =P, I rememebred my cousin teaching me abit of spanish, beautiful language if you ask me *RIBAAAAAAA* (or is that mexican hehe)

Thanks pauly,

Please feel free to call me David or Dave.
    Urakan is my nickname.

Take care and god bless too.
    Always a pleasure Dave =]

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory D View Post
    Pauly...I have close Italian friend we call Pauly.
    Cool, you must be from Australia? Ive never heard of a Pauly outside Australia hehe

Quote Originally Posted by zarrina View Post
    Hola Laura! How r u? I'm became very glad that u like tajik music, nowadays Shabnam is one of the favourite and famous in Tajikistan.

Salam Vanda also thank you for Benyamin's new song i like his songs))))
    Salam zarrina, how are you my dear? I also love Shabnam but its hard to find her songs over the internet

Hi Ashoori, I just wanted to tell you I looooooove this "to turo didam" song. It is great! please, keep up enlighting us with those at-least-fo-me rare songs :-)
    Well do, I love To Turo Didam..Do u know of the Iranian singer Sattar? It is one of his songs, it is magnificent you should listen to it..I'll upload it for you as soon as my internet speed gets faster because at the moment it is lagging to the point i cant download anymore (no more persian songs for a week )
    beganokh la azt shoqtle /
    go kharebota khadoota letlee /
    mdree mamteelan al orkhat maten /
    baabe em yeeme am khoone o khatee ...

"Ashur Bet Sargis - Sara D'Matan"

Ecoliqua said:

Hola Laura,

Im really curious.

David.
    Hola David,

Thank you for all your messages. I like the way you write things. It seems you have a open and intelligent mind.
    I have not seen any iRanian movie so far (as far I as know...). I remeber that "a taste of cherry" was very popular here in Sapin, but people generally says it it unbearable! So I never saw it.

Vanda was so nice to give me some links to download Gorg o Mish (THANK YOU VANDA!) but I didnt managed to watch it yet. I have a Mac, and it seems most of those programms do not work well in my computer... I need to try harder.

Regarding Vanda not liking Iranan music and films... well, I understand the reasons ways. I am sure that if I were Iranian, I wouldnt be listening many of the songs I do listen now. For us this is a choice and an entertainment. We can freely go in and out of the iranian culture as much as we want, and that makes all the difference.

Vanda said:

Vanda,
    Thanks so much for the link to "Atish" lyrics.

Here's my best shot at the translation of the spanish verses of "Dooset Daram":

Como vino embriagador --- Like an intoxicating wine
    de mi vida eres lo mejor --- you're the best thing in my life
    no me importa que puedan pensar --- I don’t care what they could think
    a tu lado me quiero quedar --- by you side I want to stay.
    Desde que yo te conoci --- Ever since I met you
    emociones me haces sentir --- you made me feel emotions
    eso yo no lo quiero perder --- that I don’t want to lose
    a tu lado me siento mujer --- next to you I feel like a woman

This is a great song! Besides the lyrics, I love the beat, especially the part where the dumbeks and tablas fuse with the bongos and latin guitar as well as piano riffs (typical of salsa music). (Around minute 1:58 to 2:23)

I have a question. The song "Arash" features the singer Helena. Does she have any solos or is she featured in any other songs? She has beautiful and angelic voice I wish I could hear more of her.
    hey David jan... thank you. mamnoon :X :X :X I really like this song too. tnx tnx tnx again
    about Helena I don't know exactly , but if I find anything about her I will share it with you :X

Salam Vanda,
    I have read the same opinion from many people living inside iran.
    And I agree about the censorship in Iran, it has kept many artists from expressing themselves freely. But I still think that iranian filmmakers have used very clever and creative ways to send their message across. The authorities have more often than not become suspicious and have censored and/or banned many of the really good films. Abbas Kiarostami's films are a perfect example. Have you by any chance watched any of the films that I mentioned before? Almost all of them have won international awards, and a few years ago, The Guardian Newspaper from the UK included Abbas Kiarostami and Samira Makhmalbaf on the list of the world's best 40 film directors. I hope I can make you at least a little bit proud of your fellow iranian filmmakers, regardless of censorship and politics, they are still among the most talented in the world...

Regards,

David.
    I've seen "range khoda" and "badkonake sefid" and "bache haye aseman" many years ago on TV. and we staudied the script of "bache haye aseman" in highschool. really impressive...
    but I donno if you've seen a film these years. e.x last year. really really bad. I can't endure it even 1 minute. you see... women have to wear scarf even in inter scans rediculously. like in home... It really makes me sick.

LOVE
    Vandi

- Hafez