Letter Translation Request

Thread: Letter Translation Request

Tags: arabic, letter, one-off, translate
  1. xiphos said:

Post Letter Translation Request

Hi,

On a recent trip to Morocco with a friend, I met the girl mentioned here:

http://thecairopost.com/news/126679/...tlas-mountains

We were in the same tour group as her and we were at the summit of Mt. Toubkal when she died. We wrote a letter offering our condolences to the family. The problem is I can't translate it to Arabic. I was wondering if one of you from the community who is fluently literate in both English and Arabic would be kind enough to help with that, or at least to point me in the right direction to someone who could. It's not too long, 472 words in English. Due to the personal nature of the letter, I'd ideally prefer to get this done via PM or email. Any help would be greatly appreciated though.

Thanks very much.

2. xiphos said:

In the end I was able to get the translation done through other means. Thanks

Ahmed said:

Good Evening! It is the first time to see your post, but if you still need any help to translate this letter, I would be glad to do so to honor your friend!

4. xiphos said:

Thank you so much! We luckily found a friend of a friend who translated it for us and we sent it to the family through an embassy. No word on how they received it so far but hopefully the letter, together with pictures of her smiling along the way will provide them a small measure of consolation. I appreciate your kindness in offering to help (what would the world be without awesome people like this!)

Ahmed said:

I really wished that I could help because I believe that such an action will bring peace to her relatives as they would understand that she was loved and appreciated by her friends and she won't be forgotten!

After all is said and done we just say "May she Rest In Peace" Amen!

6. xiphos said:

Definitely, amen to that!

It'd be wrong to forget her. We had only known her for about a day and a half but she was clearly an amazing person in her mid-20's who had travelled to see many different parts of the world on her own, smiling all the way. She had done difficult treks in Tibet, climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro etc.

From what I saw, there wasn't a pretentious bone in her body- not bothered about image or reputation, she had her own ideas about what truly matters. I'd say that's rare and refreshing nowadays. She was an electrical engineer who had gone into software development. Intelligent and very friendly and approachable too.

It's a shame that none of these characteristics shine through in the very factual reports about the incident. Unfortunately she is no longer with us, so the best thing to do is to learn from her example and try to be the change we wish to see in the world.