David Halitsky

Thread: David Halitsky

Tags: None

David Halitsky said:

Default David Halitsky

Hello.

I'm a published "poet" in the sense that I have one poem in the neo-formalist journal "The Dark Horse" and another in the neo-conservative journal "(The Rockford) Chronicles" (even though that journal's politics are NOT my own.)

But down deep, I believe that the English poetic tradition really lives on in US C&W lyrics, not in the poems of English writers who think of themselves as "poets". In effect, if Pound and Eliot were correct to locate one beginning of the English poetic tradition in songs of troubadors, then I think that US C&W has started a new cycle of the English poetic tradition and that eventually, C&W lyrics of the last century will be considered one "beginning" of the "English poetic tradition" of the 25th century.

In this regard, please note that I DON't mean US C&W lyrics of the type you hear on Nashville NPR or at Nashville NSAI meetings from very serious young singer/songwriters - I mean the "hard-core" country lyrics of the standards (we all know the ones I mean), only including "softer-core" lyrics if they're no softer than maybe Townes' "Pancho and Lefty".

To give you just one example of where I see poetry in "hard-core" C&W lyrics, consider the off-rhyme of "nursery" and "mercy" at the end of George Jones' classic "The Grand Tour". That rhyme may well be up there among the top ten rhymes in the English language - a truly freakin' inspired rhyme, given the way it helps deliver the "money-shot" of the song with just two words.

So, anyway, I'll be posting some of my own C&W stuff here. I'm not curious to know if you think any are good poetry - I already know that some of them are.

What I'd like to know is whether you think that any of them are good lyrics, not just lyrics that meet the acid test of being "radio-friendly" ...
    Last edited by David Halitsky; 01-30-2015 at 01:17 PM.

David Halitsky said:

Song #1 (posted 12/18/2014)

This first song I'm posting is called "Peggy's Precinct Blues". (Its title was intended as a tribute to the great US pop, jazz, and blues singer Peggy Lee.)

This song almost got shopped around in Nashville to the right people, but I forgot one thing when I wrote it. Does anyone see what the problem was? Someone should be able to spot it, right off.

Also, even though the model for the beat (rhythm) of "Peggy's Precinct Blues" was the beat of the great Ray Charles blues song:

I've Got News For You
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DikM7Rmzak

I still consider "Peggy's Precinct Blues" a possible C&W crossover because the Judds could easily have knocked it out of the park. If you don't think so, then you've got to take another listen to the Judds doing their hit "Have Mercy":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ltYrwUKJw

Anyway, here's the song. To imagine the beat correctly for the verses, just remember the Ray Charles song I linked to above.

Peggy's Precinct Blues

Verse:

Went down to the precinct
    They said What are you here for?
    I said what my man does to me
    Has gotta break some laws

Chorus (immediate after verse; no break)

You'd best arrrest him
    Lock'm up an throw away the key
    Cause I'll testify he's guilty
    Of lovin in the first degree

Verse:

Well he waits till no one's watchin
    Yeah he waits till we're alone
    Then he cuts me with a sweet word
    Lays me open to the bone

Verse:

They said Now sister listen
    Your man ain't done no crime
    Only thing he done to you
    Is make you lose your mind

Final Chorus:

We can't arrest him
    Lock him up or throw away the key
    So you'd better go on home now
    An love him in the first degree

Yeah you'd better go on home now
    And love him in the first degree

David Halitsky said:

Song #2 (posted 12/19/2014)

I'll get around to posting straight C&W, but first I gotta get these blues out of my system with another blues lyric. The demo for this was cut at Azalea outside Nashville:

http://azaleamusic.com/

and Gary Talley wailed on the guitar breaks. Gary has always been an unbelievably versatile and virtuouso session player as well as a great perfomer, as you can tell from his bio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Talley

Anyways, let me introduce you to the movin' man. This is written to be sung so that there's a heavy downbeat on the "moo" of "movin" - that downbeat (plus a tiny hesitation before it for syncopation) is what gives the song its character.

Mr. Movin' Man

Well the movin' man
    got his movin' van
    parked outside my door.

Yeah the movin' man
    got his movin' van
    parked outside my door.

Cause there isn't any reason
    why I'd ever wanna live here any more

Mr. Movin' Man
    tell me if you can
    how much would it be

Mr. Movin' Man
    tell me if you can
    how much would it be

To take away the heartache
    and a lot of lovin' memories.

Well it's been a year
    since you been gone
    Ain't dropped me a dime

Yeah it's been a year
    since you been gone
    Ain't dropped me a dime

I been lookin' for you baby
    but you nowhere to find.

David Halitsky said:

Song #3 (posted 12/21/2014)

OK - here's a real simple C&W number in straight classic C&W waltz time (3/4), maybe a little on the slower side.

One reason I wrote this song was to learn how C&W songwriters syncopate their words against a straightforward beat like 3/4 - this is part of what keeps a classic country song interesting. Every classic country song needs some syncopation somewhere - either in the back-beat or in the way the words work against the music - otherwise -the song is gonna sound like a hymn at church.

But I also wrote this song to learn how to write a "woman's" C&W song, and I'm glad to say I think I did OK because the woman singer who did the demo of this (between her tours singing Irish music) told me that the song "rang true" for her as a woman.

All Five-Fifths of Me

Verse:
    I'm leaving as a last resort -
    It's not what I prefer.
    It's not another woman,
    Lord knows I'd just pity her.
    No, leaving is the only way
    I have to make him see -
    A fifth of gin means more to him
    Than all six-fifths of me

Chorus:
    Two-fifths of me's the sweetheart
    He took to be his wife
    Two-fifth's of me's the woman
    Who gave his children life
    Two-fifths of me's their mother
    Who's tried to raise them right
    But that's one fifth too many
    So I'm leavin him tonight.

Verse:
    The two of us don't argue much,
    We work our quarrels out.
    The kids have never lain in bed
    And heard their parents shout .
    But just this once I can't agree
    With his priorities,
    'Cause a fifth of gin means more to him
    Than all six-fifths of me.

Chorus:

Verse:
    Well, if I was his boss at work,
    There wouldn't be no doubt.
    He'd have to put that bottle down,
    Or else he would be out.
    But it's his house we're livin in,
    So we'll just wait and see.
    How he likes livin in it
    With five-fiths less of me.

David Halitsky said:

Song #4 (posted 12/25/2014)

When I started out learning how to write a "man's C&W song", I decided it would be easiest to write this kind of song if the song mentioned NASCAR and booze somewhere in it. (Because all true Southern men who love C&W also love NASCAR and booze.)

So I decided the song should build on this movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Road_%28film%29

because actually, NASCAR racing grew out of the cars that Southern moonshiners drove:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...mystique.html#

Also, to understand the song, it helps to know that Daytona, Indy (Indianapolis), and Winston-Salem are all races on the NASCAR circuit:

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowman_Gray_Stadium
    http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...?homepage=true

Anyway, here's the song.

Ain't No Loners at Daytona

Verse:
    Aint no loners at Daytona -
    they ain't out there on their own.
    They can radio the pit-boss,
    tell'im what-all just went wrong.
    But once upon a moonshine time
    'Bout sixty years ago,
    Fastest driver in the South
    He drove his car alone

Chorus:
    When daddy drove down Thunder Road
    He drove that Ford alone.
    And every day he prayed the Lord
    That he'd never be well-known.
    'Cause you don't want a sponsor
    And a number on your door,
    When the ATF knows all your routes
    and you gotta find one more.

Verse:
    No one's winnin many Indy's
    All by his lonesome self.
    'Cause it takes a good mechanic
    Put a trophy on the shelf.
    'Fore each and every run
    He'd work on that car by hisself
    So he'd know the work been done.

Chorus:

Verse:
    You can't nail the Winston-Salem
    Just you, yourself, and you
    Cause you're gonna need the factory
    If you wanna pay your crew
    Back in fifty-one,
    I wished he'd take me with him
    When he made his midnight run

David Halitsky said:

Song #5 (learning how to write chorus-like breaks)

Sometimes a C&W song needs multiple breaks instead of the same chorus repeated multiple times.

I was real pleased with the way the two breaks came out in this one. Both are sung the same way, just different words. When I was offered a contract on this one, they told me it was because of the breaks - some pretty fancy rhythm and rhyming going on inside both of them.

If a Heart Could Break Just One Time

Verse:
    If a heart could break just one time,
    I'd be six feet from the sunshine;
    pushin' up the daisies,
    one for each time I've gone crazy
    wonderin' where you were till three
    and who enjoyed your company,
    and if you care for him
    more than for me.

Break 1:
    There ain't a wild side of the world
    you wouldn't dare to walk on,
    There ain't a side of your sweet mouth
    you wouldn't care to talk on.
    You think all the rules
    were only made for fools,
    and I guess I'm one -
    let you do me like you done.

Verse:
    If a heart could only manage
    a double-dose of damage,
    I'd know how four-leaf clover
    looks from under, not from over.
    But if I was to up and die,
    there'd be a little girl who'd cry,
    all alone while you're out with some guy.

Break 2:
    If there'a a road to Hell that ain't been paved
    with your intentions,
    If there's a sin the Good Book somehow
    just forgot to mention,
    then I'm certain you'll get to 'em
    you just ain't had time to do 'em
    And when you're through
    I'll still be right here for you

Verse:
    Yeah you can bet that I'll recover,
    each time that I discover
    you weren't at your mother's,
    your sister's, or your brother's.
    Cause she's too young to have a clue,
    she still thinks you hung the moon,
    and she'll learn that you didn't
    all too soon.

yeah she'll learn that you didn't
    all too soon.
    Last edited by David Halitsky; 12-30-2014 at 10:12 PM.

MoonRide*r* said:

Awesome work here. I'm not a songwriter (just a wannabe poet once upon a time), but I know great music when I "hear" it. And I can really hear this stuff.

Just a btw, I grew up near where (supposedly) some of Thunder Road was filmed, and I know Winston-Salem. And I've personally known a coupla moonshiners, back in the day. But my brother's the NASCAR freak, so I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say is... As I read through some of this, I started to reminisce on some of the great (IMO) C&W artists or lyricists like Clint Black, George Strait (especially in his younger days, again IMO), I could go on and on. Those are just a couple of names that popped through the clouds in my head.

It's more than obvious you're professional-grade, so I won't even try to say anything else and risk being superfluous or worse. Just, Thanks.
    There is no glamour in sudden death, and nobody ever wins a war.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>
    ROCK 'n' Roll Halls of Fame

David Halitsky said:

Default Song #6 and now song #7 (learning by copying and changing)

Before I post song #6, I gotta say something to MoonRide*r* for his kind comments on Songs #1-#5.

Hey MoonRide*r*

I gotta say thanks for picking up on my stuff and setting me down in high-cotton like you did with those comments.

And I say that for two reasons.

First, if you've been a Mod here for four years, you've seen an awful lot of stuff posted. And that means that when you see stuff that makes it past your personal "s***-detector", you've got plenty to base that judgment on.

But the second reason has to do with something really sad about how it is for songwriters and songwriting these days - something I learned just last week.

Last week I took my usual Friday night flight from Philadelphia to Nashville on Wednesday, and the woman who took the seat next to me turns out to have been in The Industry in Nashville for the past twenty-five years, working in artist relations with the best of the best of Nashville songwriters, including HallofFamers.

And you know what she told me?

She told me that these days, there are big-time professional Nashville songwriters having to take day jobs because of the way the economics of the business has changed - the song they used to sell for $20K as a track on an album, they're lucky if they get a grand for it now because it's goin for $.99-$1.29 as a downloadable single.

So if that kind of bad business model is here to stay, it means less and less folks are ever going to really "make it" as songwriters.

And if that's the case, then it's places like this and people like you who are gonna keep people writing songs - because AFTER money and fame (heh heh heh), nothing's better than having a total stranger tell you that he "gets" your stuff and thinks well of it.

In that regard, I'm glad you have the background to really appreciate "Ain't No Loners". When I worked in Hunstville AL, my best friend was a guy who grew up in Cullman AL and had an uncle who drove his share of deliveries on the AL side of StateLine - until he fell asleep, crossed the yellow line, hit some poor oncoming bastard, and lit up the sky with more than a few gallons of hooch. I'm sure you know plenty of folks who have stories like that to tell also.

Best regards
    djh

OK. So this next song coming up (song #6) is the only song I ever wrote with an out-and-out hook in it, and the only song I ever won any kind of contest with.

But the judges said in their review that it wasn't so much the hook that won me the prize (cause of course everybody tries to submit songs with good hooks).

According to them, it was the "diction" of the song that took first-place.

And what they meant by "diction" was that the song pretty much nailed the way a certain kind of Southern good ol' boy would sound when he's talking about the trouble he habitually gets into with his wife.

And that got me thinking about how maybe a songwriter shouldn't try to think of that all-important hook FIRST, and THEN try to build a song around that hook.

Instead, maybe a songwriter should decide on a situation, figure out the "diction" appropriate to the situation, and then sit back and watch the hook pop right out of the diction just as natural as anything.

In the case of the song I'm going to post here now (song #6), I picked the "situation" of the song this way:

First, I knew that I wanted to write a song about the "rest of the story" that happens after the "good old boy" marries his honey in that "church on the Cumberland Road", the church that the group Shenandoah sung about in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ijAqHPoG4

And I realized that the rest of the story had to center on the fact that this good old boy wasn't about to stop goin out with his friends all night, leaving his wife wondering what he spent all night doing, where he spent all night doin it, and worst of all - who he might have spent all night doin it with.

So that gave me my "situation" for the song - a good old boy talking about the trouble he gets into with his wife.

And sure enough, when I got that good old boy's diction down right, there was my hook, right there waiting for me.

I'm sure you'll spot it right off in this song called "Nothin, Noplace, and NoOne".

"Nothin, NoPlace, and NoOne"

Verse:

Well if your wife
    thinks your whole life
    was made for her to run -
    then there's three words
    you'd better learn
    to roll right off your tongue.
    Yeah when you're her only suspect
    and the third degree's begun,
    just answer "Nothin, Noplace, and NoOne".

Chorus:

"Nothin, Noplace, and NoOne"
    They still work just as good
    as when you was your mother's son.
    So even if you CAN remember
    what you've gone and done -
    just answer "Nothin, Noplace, and NoOne".

Verse:

Well if your wife
    thinks SHE heads up
    the town constabulary,
    then there's three words
    that better be
    in your vocabulary.
    No, I don't mean "I love you"
    or "you're my honeybun".
    I'm talking "Nothin, Noplace, and NoOne".

Chorus

Verse:

Well marriage works
    the same as war
    so read her the convention.
    The one that says
    there's just three things
    a husband's gotta mention.
    See you ain't obligated
    to admit you've had some fun.
    Just answer "Nothin, Noplace, and NoOne".

Chorus and out.
    Last edited by David Halitsky; 01-16-2015 at 07:04 AM.

David Halitsky said:

Song #7 (Learn your craft by copying and then changing)

Songwriting is like any art form - it's partly a craft you've got to learn, and the best way to learn your craft is by imitation (all the greats have done it this way - every single one of them - in any art form.)

But once you've created a good imitation, then you can find out if you might be an artist as well as a craftsman by expanding your imitation - adding something new that wasn't in the original ... and then seeing if your own addition works or not.

Case in point:

If you take the the VERSES in the song at the bottom of this thread, you'll see that they have the exact structure of the verses in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDktBZzQIiU

Because they were MEANT to - I wanted to try to write a song "in the style of" a certain classic, just to make sure I understood what made that classic a classic. (Note that the rhythm of some (not all) of the lines in my copy is also the same as the rhythm of the lines in the original - that similarity is also intentional because the rhythm of the original lines is known far-and-wide to all C&W session drummers as the "train beat", and I wanted to make sure I could "write to it" if and when I had to)

But once I had made my "copy" of the classic I started from, I expanded on it by adding a chorus with an entirely different rhythm and structure.

And I'm happy with the result, for two reasons.

First, because the song has had a uniformly positive reaction from folks who've heard the demo, as well as the session musicians who played on the demo.

Second, because once when I had to make ends meet, I was a corporate security guard who developed a crush on this little honey who used to drive thru my gate every morning. So I know whereof this song speaks.

Oh yeah - one other thing. Notice how the syllables of word "so-ci-o-pa-thy" fit into the rhythm like peas in a pod. There are times when it's appropriate to fill out a line with a "big" word, and I'm glad that one came to me for this song.

Song #7:

You Still Ain't Safe With Me

Verse
    Well my fingers all been printed
    and my background it's been checked.
    And the polygraph held steady
    when I didn't answer yes.
    So all the folks we work for
    think I'm safe as safe can be.
    But don't believe a word they say -
    you still ain't safe with me.

Chorus
    Uh-uh, you can stay alert.
    Uh-uh, you can stay on guard.
    Uh-uh, you can buy a dog,
    Keep him outside in the yard.
    Honey, you can buy yourself
    closed-circuit TV -
    won't do you a bit of good

Verse
    When I'm in that uniform
    I'm truer than true blue.
    No one gets in through that gate
    unless I wave 'em thru.
    But if you see me at your door,
    you'd better turn that key.
    Otherwise you'll learn real soon -

Chorus

Verse
    Gonna go to night school,
    get me my degree.
    Learn me all them big words,
    like sociopathy.
    So when I use 'em on you,
    you'll just have to agree
    with my considered judgment -

Chorus and out
    Last edited by David Halitsky; 01-16-2015 at 07:01 AM.

David Halitsky said:

Just got another poem accepted for publication, with Amethystos as co-author. (Yes - that Amethystos.)

See

http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=157389

Also working with help from Amethystos and Duffy Dack on lyrics for an old-fashioned Greek zeibekiko - to see how this song developed, visit these links in order:

http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=157483
    http://www.musicheaven.gr/html/modul...ic&topic=32037
    http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=158033
    Last edited by David Halitsky; 02-28-2015 at 11:54 AM.

David Halitsky said:

Default Some music I wrote while I was learning to craft lyrics.

At the end of this post are links to eight songs in eight different "genres".

I wrote these songs specifically to learn how to write lyrics in each of these eight genres.

In other words, I did NOT want the songs to sound original - I WANTED each song to sound just like other songs in its genre, so that I would know if I could write lyrics to fit each genre.

You should try this approach if you really want to learn the craft of lyric-writing: don't try to paint Picasso's Guernica at the beginning - do what he did - first learn your craft BY IMITATION.

Every single great artist has done it this way - NO EXCEPTIONS.

R&B:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhjygfapyg..._1999.mp3?dl=0

Rock:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/15og3ynq55..._1999.mp3?dl=0
    (there's a bad spot in this track, but it's actually a pretty cool bad spot!)

Rockabilly:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ov7t09ub2..._1999.mp3?dl=0

WhiteBoy_Blues
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/izunace25e..._1999.mp3?dl=0

Bluegrass:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/618zo1lqku..._1999.mp3?dl=0

Country (GirlSinger)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gq9gj5w7a6..._1999.mp3?dl=0

Country (GuySinger)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qtj77o0y3..._1999.mp3?dl=0

CountryJazz_Fusion
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kw81h7u0l..._1999.mp3?dl=0
    Last edited by David Halitsky; 02-22-2015 at 01:52 PM.

David Halitsky said:

Default Update: Lucy Woodward may record "Ain't No Misdemeanor"!

I'm pleased to report that Lucy Woodward:

http://www.lucywoodward.com/

has agreed, in principle, to record "Ain't No Misdemeanor" (lyrics at bottom of this post.)

One of Nashville's finest (Gary Talley):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Talley

did the original arrangement:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhjygfapyg..._1999.mp3?dl=0

when the song was demo'd some years ago at Azalea in Nashville:

http://azaleamusic.com/

But since Lucy does such amazing things when backed by "Big Bands", Gary is going to do a completely new arrangement closer to the BigBand arrangement of "I Got News for You" which Quincy Jones did for Ray Charles on a little-known and hard-to-get Verve album :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DikM7Rmzak

Also, note that the lyrics below differ slightly from the lyrics in the original demo version, to avoid duplication with a well-known song by Alabama.

"Ain't No Misdemeanor"
    Verse:

Went down to the precinct
    They said What are you here for?
    I said what my man does to me
    Has gotta break some laws

You'd best arrrest him
    Lock'm up an throw away the key
    Cause it ain't no misdemeanor
    How that man o' mine do me.

Verse:

Well he waits till no one's watchin
    Yeah he waits till we're alone
    Then he cuts me with a sweet word
    Lays me open to the bone

Verse:

They said Now sister listen
    Your man ain't done no crime
    Only thing he done to you
    Is make you lose your mind

Final Chorus:

We can't arrest him
    Lock him up or throw away the key
    So you'd better go on home now,
    surprise him with a felony.

Yeah you'd better go on home now,
    surprise him with a felony.
    Last edited by David Halitsky; 03-15-2015 at 03:26 PM.

David Halitsky said:

Default A song for all illegal Dreamers and their parents here in the US

Soleares

I know you don't want us
    to live in your town.
    At school all your children
    put my ninos down.
    But hey, its OK,
    we'll be happy to go -
    when you take our music
    off your radios.

You promised your love
    when her first teardrop fell. / See note 1 below
    You wanted the young rose
    who grew up in Hell. / See note 2 below
    But la vida loca / See note 3 below
    is not what it seems -
    it's a way to escape
    when you have no more dreams.

My wife hears our music
    on your radios,
    while she's cleaning your house
    and she's washing your clothes.
    And I hear it also
    wherever I go,
    as I water your lawn
    and coil up the hose.

You sing about Lefty /See note 4 below
    and who he betrayed -
    a bandit whose crime
    was to make you afraid.
    But hey it's OK -
    we don't want any gold
    for our music that's playing
    on your radios.

Note 1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa8sdCvMPtM

Note 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGd6CdtOqEE

Note 3:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p47fEXGabaY

Note 4:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvdmxszsDM8

David Halitsky said:

Default "Κυριε εισαγγελέα" was recorded in Athens on Wednesday

The new song "Κυριε εισαγγελέα" was recorded in Athens Wednesday at the studio of Ηλίας Καραγγέλης.

Final verses were adapted from my English poem "Mr. Prosecutor" by the AlltheLyrics poster "Duffy Dack":

http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=158033

and the orignal composition by Panos Koutselinis has been arranged for bouzouki/baglama by Ηλίας.

Here is a youtube clip of a song by the singer, Αλέξανδρος Σιδηρόπουλος:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dftKnjjSc0
    Last edited by David Halitsky; 03-18-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Tahira said:

Great!

David Halitsky said:

Thanks for noticing, T. (Also, request confirmed.)

Amethystos said:

Good luck!
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

David Halitsky said:

Good news - I believe there will be a re-recording to improve a couple of things that the composer and singer are not completely happy with ...

David Halitsky said:

Yes - the re-recording will be 25 March.

David Halitsky said:

Default Lyrics for New Song: Θα πιώ στην υγειά σου

Τίτλος: Θα πιώ στην υγειά σου
    Στίχοι: Duffy Dack

σουγκρίζω το ποτήρι μου
    κι απ’ το δικό σου πίνω – κι απ’ το δικό σου πίνω
    μ’ απ’ την Ελληνοκύπρια
    πιό όμορφη δε δίνω – πιό όμορφη δε δίνω

Σαν με κερνάς το τέταρτο
    και με κοιτάς στα μάτια – και με κοιτάς στα μάτια
    μου λες στην Τουρκοκύπρια
    της πρέπουνε παλάτια – της πρέπουνε παλάτια

Με τα καμώματα αυτά
    γελάνε όλοι γύρω – γελάνε όλοι γύρω
    ήπιαμ’ εφτα οχτώ εννιά
    και πάμε γι άλλο γύρο – και πάμε γι άλλο γύρο

ρεφραίν
    Αδελφέ μου, πάψε να με μαλώνεις
    την καρδιά μου, σταμάτα να πληγώνεις
    έχω τα πάθη μου κι έχεις δικά σου
    έχω για όνειρα, τα όνειρά σου
    πιές στην υγειά μου, να πιώ στη δικιά σου

English:

Title: I'll drink to your health

Clink my glass
    and i'm drinking from your drink - and i'm drinking from your drink
    but as for the Greek Cypriot woman
    I do not give more beautiful - more beautiful I do not give

When you buy the fourth
    and look me in the eyes - and look me in the eyes
    you say to me that Turkish Cypriot woman
    must have palaces - must have palaces

With these antics
    laugh all around - laugh all around
    we have drink seven eight nine
    and go for another round - and go for another round

chorus
    My brother, stop to quarrel me
    stop hurting my heart
    I have my passions and have your own
    I have for dreams, your dreams
    Drink to my health, to drink for your own

Note: Duffy's lyrics are an adaption of my English lyrics:

Here in Pyla

Here in Pyla we can drink
    like brothers
    After three drinks I can tell you
    Our Greek Cypriot women
    are most beautiful
    and we will still have
    fourth fifth sixth drink
    After six drinks you can tell me
    Your Turkish Cypriot women
    are most beautiful
    and the waiter will still count
    seven eight nine rounds
    Last edited by David Halitsky; 03-27-2015 at 08:29 PM.