Why aren't Μαρκόπουλος, Λάγιος, & Κολοκοτρώνης played on Greek "oldies" stations?

Thread: Why aren't Μαρκόπουλος, Λάγιος, & Κολοκοτρώνης played on Greek "oldies" stations?

Tags: None

David Halitsky said:

Default Why aren't Μαρκόπουλος, Λάγιος, & Κολοκοτρώνης played on Greek "oldies" stations?

Γιάννης Μαρκόπουλος, Δημήτρης Λάγιος, and Χρήστος Κολοκοτρώνης are all on Duffy's list of top composers of neo-rebetika and/or neo-laika:

Μίμης Πλέσσας
    Σταύρος ξαρχακος
    Γιάννης Σπανός
    Μίκης Θεοδωράκης
    Μάνος Χατζιδάκις
    Μάνος Λοίζος
    Γιώργος Χατζηνάσιος
    Γιάννης Μαρκόπουλος
    Χρήστος Λεοντής
    Γιάννης Γλέζος
    Δήμος Μούτσης
    Ηλίας Ανδριόπουλος
    Βασίλης Δημητρίου
    Γιώργος Κατσαρός
    Λουκιανός Κηλαηδόνης
    Λίνος Κόκοτος
    Σταύρος Κουγιουμτζής
    Μαρίζα Κωχ
    Δημήτρης Λάγιος
    Νίκος Μαμαγκάκης
    Θάνος Μικρούτσικος
    Χρήστος Νικολόπουλος

But after several days of listening to Greek "oldies" stations such as Glenti FM 101.1 (Xanthi) and Dalkas 88.2 (Khalkis), I haven't heard even one song by Μαρκόπουλος, Λάγιος, or Κολοκοτρώνης.

Is there any particular reason for this? Were their songs less popular, in general, than the songs of other composers on Duffy's list?

If I don't hear any after another week or so, I may have to go looking for some songs by these composers, instead of waiting to hear what the radio brings us.

2. Duffy Dack said:

Αν υπάρχει κάτι που δεν χρειάζεται την πλειοψηφία για να είναι σωστό, αυτό είναι η ανθρώπινη συνείδηση.

David Halitsky said:

Thanks, Duffy - I can see why the oldies stations aren't playing songs like the Λάγιος and Μαρκόπουλος examples that you posted - songs like these are "uptown", and the popular radio stations tend to play songs that are more "downtown", if you know what I mean.

But regarding your Κολοκοτρώνης examples:

1) I actually have heard ΑΠΟΨΕ ΦΙΛΑ ΜΕ on Glenti radio, but I haven's added it to our list because it was released in 1954 (too early for our list).

2) On the other hand, if you can find the bouzoukee credit for Δε βρήκα έναν άνθρωπο, I will certainly post it if the player is one of the ones on your list.

4. Duffy Dack said:

Probably Nikolopoulos, but I 'm not sure.
    Αν υπάρχει κάτι που δεν χρειάζεται την πλειοψηφία για να είναι σωστό, αυτό είναι η ανθρώπινη συνείδηση.

David Halitsky said:

OK- I've decided that in general, if we can't find the bouzouki credit, I'm going to post the song anyway. Maybe it will surface later.

Also - one other thing.

On this one:

Κολοκοτρώνης
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt60_EMmNJI

www.stixoi says that Κολοκοτρώνης did the lyrics but Καζαντζίδης composed the music. Is that wrong?
    Last edited by David Halitsky; 12-30-2014 at 04:59 PM.

6. Duffy Dack said:

Όχι καθόλου. Ο Χ. Κολοκοτρώνης ήταν σπουδαίος και σαν στιχουργός. Επίσης ο Καζαντζίδης ήταν καί συνθέτης (κυρίως των δικών του τραγουδιών).

David Halitsky said:

κατανοητή, Duffy ... ευχαριστώ.