OK - here's the "$64000" question (not sure I want to know the answer to this one)

Thread: OK - here's the "$64000" question (not sure I want to know the answer to this one)

Tags: None

David Halitsky said:

Default OK - here's the "$64000" question (not sure I want to know the answer to this one)

Στην Ελλάδα σήμερα , ποια είναι η γενική άποψη της Μερκούρη και ο Dassin;

Πόρισμα ερώτηση:

Στην Ελλάδα σήμερα , ποια είναι η γενική άποψη της ταινίας του 1957 "Qui doit celui mourir ";

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2-6Gf3g6zI

2. Duffy Dack said:

Fortunately Dassin made movies, the books of Kazantzakis.
    For the era that the film made, was is masterpiece and remain.

Title of the book: "Ο Χριστός ξανασταυρώνεται - the Christ recrucified"
    Αν υπάρχει κάτι που δεν χρειάζεται την πλειοψηφία για να είναι σωστό, αυτό είναι η ανθρώπινη συνείδηση.

David Halitsky said:

Yes, Duffy, from K's novel ... published in English as "The Greek Passion".

Thanks for confirming that the movie is still highly regarded (although - I guess we should wait to see what Amethystos says about THAT - sometimes he disagrees with you about various matters ...)

But regarding Mercouri and Dassin themselves - now that they have passed on, how do people remember them - with respect or disrespect?
    Last edited by David Halitsky; 01-03-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Amethystos said:

Quote Originally Posted by David Halitsky View Post
    Thanks for confirming that the movie is still highly regarded (well - I guess we'll have to wait and see what Amethystos says about THAT.)
    Can't say, I've only read the book.

But regarding Mercouri and Dassin themselves - now that they have passed on, how do people remember them - with respect or disrespect?
    When a person dies most of us have gentle feelings while remembering him.
    I see no reason for Dassin and Melina being the exceptions.

But I suppose that such an answer would not satisfy you, thus I think you should rephrase your question.
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

David Halitsky said:

OK, Amethystos - let me make the question more specific by breaking it into two questions.

1) "Sub"-question 1:

You know that Μάνος Χατζιδάκις did not like receiving an award for "Ta Paidiá tou Peiraiá" because he himself thought that the movie "Never on Sunday" made Greece look too much like just a country for tourists.

So, do some people today also feel that Dassin and Mercouri harmed the "image" of Greece by making the movie?

2) "Sub"-question 2:

Sometime ago we discussed "misguided political romanticism" in Greece on both the left and the right wings.

It is well known that Mercouri and Dassin were more on the left than "center".

Would you personally say that Mercouri and Dassin contributed to political problems in Greece by "misguided political romanticism"?

If you feel this way, do you think many would agree with you.
    Last edited by David Halitsky; 01-03-2015 at 05:24 PM.

Amethystos said:

OK, Amethystos - let me make the question more specific by breaking it into two questions.

1) "Sub"-question 1:

You know that Μάνος Χατζιδάκις did not like receiving an award for "Ta Paidiá tou Peiraiá" because he himself thought that the movie "Never on Sunday" made Greece look too much like just a country for tourists.
    Are you sure about it? Cause I never heard Manos saying what you wrote.
    What he used to say was : "I wrote the song as a part of the specific scene of the specific movie. Since then I got buffed of hearing it everywhere ..."

But you could be true if you have some kind of evidence ....

Btw the "award" I believe was an Academy Award.

So, do some people today also feel that Dassin and Mercouri harmed the "image" of Greece by making the movie?
    I doubt that in todays "Greece under 8 years of crisis" there are many people willing even to consider about it.
    But surely there could be let's say 1000 people who think what you describe.

2) "Sub"-question 2:

Sometime ago we discussed "misguided political romanticism" in Greece on both the left and the right wings.

It is well known that Mercouri and Dassin were more on the left than "center".
    Artists believe in their art not in politics, and you're talking about serious artists here which have worldwide recognition.

Would you personally say that Mercouri and Dassin contributed to political problems in Greece by "misguided political romanticism"?

If you feel this way, do you think many would agree with you.
    Producing art can't be considered a contribution to political problems.
    There can be of course people who may consider "Guernica" as an "add-on" of Spanish civil war, but hey, don't expect me to understand their way of thinking.

David Halitsky said:

Amethystos - you wrote

"But you could be true if you have some kind of evidence .... "

At this link:

http://www.greeksongs-greekmusic.com...d-oscar-award/

this:

"However, Hadjidakis never felt proud for the Oscar, since he thought that this award was actually adding some sort of "unwanted popularity" to him; he also thought that this movie was presenting a more "touristy" image of Greece and himself abroad.

He wrote about it: "Even the official state celebrated the Oscar that I won unwittingly, and without planning it. I fought for years to remove this "title of honor" from my back".

Maybe Hadjidakis thought that the music style of the song was not representing him, and created an inferior image of him and the culture of his country. However, that period in Hadjidakis' career was characterized by a series of "light" songs and music for the movies, that was much appreciated by his admirers and was inextricably connected to the Greek music and Greek cinema. Indeed, both the movie and its OST are credited with stimulating tourism trade towards Greece."

Your evaluation ????

Amethystos said:

"However, Hadjidakis never felt proud for the Oscar, since he thought that this award was actually adding some sort of "unwanted popularity" to him; he also thought that this movie was presenting a more "touristy" image of Greece and himself abroad.

He wrote about it: "Even the official state celebrated the Oscar that I won unwittingly, and without planning it. I fought for years to remove this "title of honor" from my back".

Maybe Hadjidakis thought that the music style of the song was not representing him, and created an inferior image of him and the culture of his country. However, that period in Hadjidakis' career was characterized by a series of "light" songs and music for the movies, that was much appreciated by his admirers and was inextricably connected to the Greek music and Greek cinema. Indeed, both the movie and its OST are credited with stimulating tourism trade towards Greece."

Your evaluation ????
    Having heard him so many times, having read books and listened to stories about his reactions, I can only say one thing.

"Typical Manos"

You can't judge the way a great artist is thinking and evaluating things as if he was an "ordinary man".

"Great artists" develop specific attributes in the way they act - communicate, sometimes they try to hide their boredom by sending the wrong message with their words.

Finally to answer your question I'm sure he wanted to stop being asked about the specific song which won the Oscar and start talking about his life and the rest of his work.

David Halitsky said:

Thanks, Amethystos.

But what are you doing awake at 4AM in the morning (your time)??????

Or are you a secret expatriate living somewhere not in Greece?

Oh - sorry for asking that! I forgot I was not supposed to ask you personal questions!!!!