When did Greek songwriters start using "chorus with hook" concept?

Thread: When did Greek songwriters start using "chorus with hook" concept?

Tags: None

David Halitsky said:

Default When did Greek songwriters start using "chorus with hook" concept?

I do not think it is true that classic Greek laika (say 1960-1975) needed "hooks", meaning "catchy phrases" that would stick in people's minds.

And I don't think it is true that classic Greek laika even needed a chorus (lines sung more than once between verses.)

So I certainly don't think it is true that classic Greek laika needed "choruses with hooks" to be successful.

Am I right? Or wrong?

And if I am right, when did Greek music start to change so that it needed "chorus with hook" concept? Was it pressure from US and Euro pop music changing Greek taste?
    Last edited by David Halitsky; 02-24-2015 at 12:56 AM.

2. Duffy Dack said:

Quote Originally Posted by David Halitsky View Post

So I certainly don't think it is true that classic Greek laika needed "choruses with hooks" to be successful.

And if I am right, when did Greek music start to change so that it needed "chorus with hook" concept? Was it pressure from US and Euro pop music changing Greek taste?
    That is correct
    but since the composers had no talent, they used such tricks
    Αν υπάρχει κάτι που δεν χρειάζεται την πλειοψηφία για να είναι σωστό, αυτό είναι η ανθρώπινη συνείδηση.

David Halitsky said:

Well, I think you are being a little hard on the GOOD composers, for the following reason.

I understand that the no-talent composers were happy to use "choruses with hooks" because it made their job easier.

But the good composers WITH talent also had to use "choruses with hooks" because the younger generations wanted to hear Greek music that was more like US and Euro "mass-market" hits. If the good composers did not do this, they would not be able to have careers as composers.

And those good composers don't like "choruses with hooks" any more than you do, Duffy. It's just that they have to feed their families, so they have to write them.

(This is usually the point in the conversation where Amethystos drops by from Mt. Olympus. I hope he WILL drop by, so we know his opinion on this.)

Amethystos said:

Quote Originally Posted by David Halitsky View Post
    (This is usually the point in the conversation where Amethystos drops by from Mt. Olympus. I hope he WILL drop by, so we know his opinion on this.)
    Since you asked ....

Can't say you're right or wrong. Haven't lived for more than a century to answer. But ....
    I believe repetition of choruses and picking catchy words were considered a plus to every song the last 100 years at least.

Here's an example of a 85 y/o song that has lyrics full of catchy words-phrases. I believe it's A reason that this classic is familiar to younger generations.

[7C9pX25SgP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C9pX25SgP4[/video]

To complete my answer I have to add that I believe that:
    a good song is a good song regardless of it's genre or it's era; it's not even needed to be within the specific technical rules which distinguish how to orthodoxly "compose" or "write lyrics", as long as people (educated or not) like it through the years.
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

David Halitsky said:

Thanks for stopping by, Amethystos.

Your clip was blocked for me here in the US, so here's one that wasn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49ji1w53LeQ

Lyrics are at the bottom of this post.

But I wonder about one thing, Amethystos. This song is really close to true "folk" - it's almost like a "chant" song, and "chant" songs have always been repetitive with rhythmic words, in all cultures and languages.

So I wonder whether songs that are folk "chants" or close to folk "chants" are in the same category as modern pop hits with verses distinct from chorus, and chorus with "hook" that is also in title of song.

I don't know if there really IS an answer to this question - just different ways of looking at things. I grew up on US rock and country, so I always assumed ALL songs had choruses and "hooks". But I could always tell the difference between a "good" hook and a "stupid" hook that occurred to some mediocre songwriter.

So, for Greek music, I am closer to Duffy's opinion, but for US music, I am closer to your opinion.

Ήσουνα τι ήσουνα - 1930
    Στίχοι: Τέτος Δημητριάδης
    Μουσική: Κωνσταντίνος Μπέζος

Ήσουνα τι ήσουνα μια παξιμαδοκλέφτρα
    τώρα που σε πήρα εγώ γυρεύεις σούρτα φέρτα

Ήσουνα ξυπόλυτη και γύρναγες στους δρόμους
    τώρα που σε πήρα εγώ γυρεύεις ιπποκόμους

Ήσουνα στην αγορά και μάζευες τους σπόρους
    και τώρα που σε πήρα εγώ ζητάς αεροπόρους
    (Ήσουνα στη μάνα σου και τάιζες κοκόρους
    και τώρα που σε πήρα εγώ ζητάς αεροπόρους)

Ήσουνα ξυπόλυτη και μάζευες κοσάρια
    τώρα που σε πήρα εγώ γυρεύεις κατοστάρια
    (Ήσουνα στη μάνα σου και μάζευες κοσάρια
    τώρα που σε πήρα εγώ γυρεύεις κατοστάρια)

Ήσουνα στην αγορά και μάζευες ραδίκια
    τώρα που σε πήρα εγώ γυρεύεις σκουλαρίκια

Έριξα τα ζάρια μου κι έφερα έξι πέντε
    και τους μπάτσους στη γωνιά τους πάει πέντε πέντε
    (Τα ζάρια μου τα κούνησα κι έφερα έξη πέντε
    πάν’ δυο μπάτσους στη γωνιά τους πάει πέντε πέντε)

Πενήντα χρόνια φυλακή τιμώρησα το χάρο
    να ‘σαι πάντα ελεύθερη μαζί σου να γουστάρω